Masks in Kindergarten- Please share your plans for your classroom!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

Masks in Kindergarten- Please share your plans for your classroom!!

>

Minnie716

Masks in Kindergarten- Please share your plans for your classroom!!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I work in a tiny district where we are the only school. I am the only kindergarten teacher so I have no other K teachers to bounce ideas off of. So my questions is: Is your school/ district requiring kindergartners to wear masks? I am stressing out over this because of the following reasons:

1) Kindergartners play with everything. My students have played with a string coming out of their shirt, shoelaces, socks, etc. while I am teaching. I can't imagine how it will be with the masks. I'm worried about them licking them and getting them wet, chewing on them, etc. And K's tend to have runny noses under those masks. It all sounds so gross to me.
2) Not being able to understand them/ them understand me. I am constantly talking to them. They need to see my mouth when I talk. Especially when I am teaching them letter sounds and sight words and read aloud. I also have them say sounds and sight words back to me. It will be so hard to do this with masks.
3) Not being able for them to understand EACH OTHER. We all know that Kindergarten is a crucial grade for learning how to socialize, tell stories to each other, share ideas. How can they do this successfully when they can't hear each other very well. I have a hard time understanding the cashiers when I go to the store and I'm an adult.
4) Keeping track of them wearing their mask appropriately. Yeah...enough said on that one. It's a process getting the kindergartners to learn how to act at school and teaching them the basic school rules. Keeping track of their masks will just be another hurdle.
6) KINDERGARTNERS DON'T SOCIAL DISTANCE. They are always up in each other's space. How can I keep them 6 feet apart???

Ugh!!!! Just typing this is stressing me out. Also, please share your plans of what your classroom will look like if your school is coming back!

Minnie716 is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 06-24-2020, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My state just put out that masks will be optional for kindergarten students but staff/teachers will have to wear them.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not stressing about plans because it is RIDICULOUS to make kinders wear masks or social distance. Ridiculous. They just won't. I've already brought up the fact that I can't teach phonics if they can't see my mouth. I can't use some of the basic ELL teaching techniques if I can't use facial expressions. I have a hard time hearing some kids, especially speech kids or language learners, as it is.

I am not going to spend my day being the mask and distancing police. I am not going to be picking the dirty masks up off the floor. I am not going to spend my time disinfecting 1,543,756 legos every day. If they want me to do all of that, they can't expect me to teach.

How long will it take for everyone to realize that all of these guidelines will not work in kindergarten?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Ideas
Old 06-24-2020, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Face shields? They have hats with shields that could work....

Having tape on the ground to show 6 feet distance?

Holding out arms in the hallways to show 6 feet from a person?
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-24-2020, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
My state just put out that masks will be optional for kindergarten students but staff/teachers will have to wear them.
This makes no sense to me. Masks are mostly protect other people, not the wearer. If kids supposedly aren't carriers, and we are the ones needing protected, why should we need to wear a mask in our classroom? I can see wearing them when out and about on campus, but in class?

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-25-2020, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We just got new guidelines from the state. It looks like kids need to wear masks when moving. They can take them off in the classroom if 6 feet apart. I think it's all a bunch of nonsense. Masks with little kids are going to be gross, a distraction, and will impede learning. My voice won't carry for them to hear me and will be muffled. I won't have a clue what any of them are saying. And I don't believe the guidelines they have established are going to keep anyone safe.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It's looking like my district is going to require masks for teachers (when in close proximity, whatever that means), but not for students. So who protects the teachers? Then again, masks in K is just...not going to work well. There are no good answers.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Apparently I didn't read carefully. Kindergartners don't have to wear masks at all.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Minnie716

Old 06-25-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My school has a board meeting next month. I guess they'll decide then what to do. I hope they decide to not have the masks be mandatory for the kindergartners! It's hard enough to understand what some of them are saying even without the masks. Thank you all for sharing!

Vet3Teacher

Old 06-30-2020, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

All of your concerns are legit! I keep telling others here that if we have to wear masks and the kids do too, make us stay home. It won't work.

Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Minnie716

Old 07-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Welp, we just had a meeting and my kindergartners and I have to wear masks. I have to accept it because I can't change it unless guidelines change before we start. I'm trying to be positive but its so hard. Play centers? Gone. Putting puzzles together with peers? Gone. Playing on the playground? Gone. Sitting next to each other and looking at books together? Gone. Playing together in the kitchen area and dollhouse? Gone. Sitting on the rug together to have calendar/ circle time? Gone. At least until a vaccine comes out and people will STILL be able to get it. It's not like we're gonna eradicate it.

The only silver lining is that our school is small enough that we are going to be able to come everyday so I won't have to worry about online teaching.

Sorry. I'm in a funk. I'll snap out of it but this is so difficult. I'm sure I'll be on here again asking questions about how I'm going to schedule my day when there is so much I can't do.

I forgot to mention that the main reason why we have to wear masks is because if a student get sick, the parents can sue us. Our district's insurance stated that they will not be covering that. So, if our school gets sued, we're on our own. If we take ALL of the precautions (including everyone wearing masks) and someone in our school gets sick, it will be harder for them to sue the school. However, if lawyers find out that not ALL of the students were wearing masks, then we're toast. Our district does not want to take ANY chances of us getting sued. This is the whole reason why even the youngest students have to wear them.

Parents could sign a waiver, saying they won't sue, but our school's legal team said that waivers do not hold up in court.