Help

The VENT

How I currently feel about reopening..

>

googaleeebear

How I currently feel about reopening..
Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I saw this and thought perhaps others would relate and know you're not alone in the feeling. I feel this to the core.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by googaleeebear; 06-24-2020 at 09:18 PM..
googaleeebear is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-24-2020, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It makes me even more upset when I see parents posts, "Send them back! If they get sick, they get sick. They're kids, they'll get over it just like every other illness. Kids aren't dying of this (at least not in my state)." To which I want to say; what about the teachers, bus drivers, admin, office staff, etc? What about all the adults these kids go home to? Ugh.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Yes
Old 06-24-2020, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I want to say that too - kids are carriers. We just don't know enough. Also, when I see articles being written saying kids aren't carriers etc - but NOTHING is EVER mentioned about safety of staff. I saw one article describe schools reopening as a test to see how it impacts staff and students (as a way to glean more information). Umm?!

Gogogo

I get a little nervous
Old 06-24-2020, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

But I keep reading about other countries who have already gone back —Finland, Germany, Taiwan, Norway, and Wales. None of them have seen an uptick when the kids went back. Some of them, such as Wales didn’t even go back with masks. They did go back with smaller classes and social distancing. Few, if any cases, showed up among the children and they had such mild cases that the scientists don’t think they even shed much of the virus for others to get infected.

A study of YMCAs in the United States that remained open for essential workers found virtually no transmissions among the children. Again, smaller groups and good hygiene.

One scientist even said the problems at schools are not going to be child to adult transmissions but adult to adult transmissions.

These stories have been in well-respected media such as NPR, Wall Street Journal, and Education Week. These make me feel better.

Last edited by Gogogo; 06-24-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Gogogo is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-24-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was just talking to a friend about this. I honestly can't handle talking about this anymore. There's no clear plan. No plan is going to make anyone happy. Even when a plan is put out (for each district) it won't be feasible and will have to change. There's a chance we'll be going back out when there's a 2nd wave. The thought of wearing a mask all day makes me a little sick (I'll do it, but I hate it. Flame away). Fighting kids about masks makes me crazy already.

And we're probably going to be living in the deep end of this pool until sometime in 2021. I can't even fathom that.

I'm.just.done.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-24-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Gogogo: this makes me nervous. We aren't in a place to say we are at least going down in numbers, as a country. (this is from today)
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Englishish

Yup
Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iím with you, GreyhoundGirl. Iím not worried about catching anything and I donít think kids are the vectors we once thought they were. But the uncertainty and the constant head on a swivel stresses me out more than any virus ever could.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You guys, that's awesome you aren't worried. But also, if you feel that way, feel free to scroll on by posts like this, if you can't stand to talk about it anymore. Some are worried, and isn't this the board to talk about it?

EllaKate

Old 06-24-2020, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm with you GG. I'm not worried about going back. I'm tired of thinking about it, hearing about and the thought of a mask all day long is just too much. Our District has a board meeting next month and I think we'll get some answers then.

Googaleeebear: This is a vent board. Some of us are venting that we are tired of talking about it and all the uncertainty surrounding it.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-24-2020, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

EllaKate: maybe I misunderstood the tone of the above comments. Personally, I don't think making a point to complain about how tired a person is of talking about it on THIS post does anything (as it was started to just generally vent out feelings of not feeling comfortable with given plans). I perceived the above posters as basically saying "enough of these types of posts" (so maybe that was my fault on that assumption).. that I posted about something they are both tired of hearing about and don't want to talk about, which is why I said to scroll on by. Apologies if that was misread on my part. Lots of stress for the upcoming year already being felt :/

It's been a frustrating time for all especially when proposed plans don't seem to take our safety into consideration. Or sort of. The uncertainty of it all is draining.

Last edited by googaleeebear; 06-24-2020 at 09:52 PM..

Fractured

Old 06-24-2020, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Anybody not worried about it should be concerned that a place like Beijing had to close down and had an outbreak again. My friend is living in Thailand right now and here is what is standard in almost all of Asia:

Everyone wears a mask, all the time.
If you want to get into a place like a grocery store, you have to scan a QR code on your phone to have the doors even open. This is so they can trace you.
They have sanitizers and wipes everywhere. There isnít a shortage of supplies at all. Their numbers were low and they went on total lockdown, like you couldnít leave your house for a few months in some places in China. Thailand had a curfew from 10pm to 4am and if you were caught outside you could face up to two years in prison.

They were using thermal scanners and smart thermometers on kids and in SK they were spacing them apart with desks. These are schools that actually give a damn about their kids and fund their schools and donít have the same kind of class sizes as us in some places. Most plans I am reading for us have teachers wearing masks and not students.

So, doing all of these things, they have had to shut down schools in SK and Beijing.

They are tracing a lot of the outbreaks here to Memorial weekend gatherings. People getting together inside spreads the disease. I donít care if you think itís not lethal or it only gets certain people sick. Kids are going to spread this like wildfire here. We should be doing distance learning for at least the first half of the year.

Also, we are still in the first wave. This is either going to stay at the same rate or the second wave will start Nov- Dec. Think about how much worse our numbers will be by the end of summer. Then triple it for school opening up. Still not worried?
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-25-2020, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Iím not saying Iím not worried about catching anything. Iím saying I had just sat through an exhausting 2 hour dinner where thatís all we talk about. Itís covering my FB feed, my PT feed, and my daily life all for ďwe donít have answersĒ.

Talk to me when you have a solid plan and answers instead of all this garbage that isnít feasible.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-25-2020, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I know you werenít saying that GHG, but others are still cavalier about it, which is why we are having these outbreaks still.

We should do virtual learning, thatís the only way to keep everyone safe. I know it has drawbacks, but anything else has too many risk variables. If schools planned for it now and worked on going 1:1 and taught us how to use it and made grades count, it would be a different story in the Fall. Iíve said this before, but maybe rural schools or small schools could open if they had the ability to test and trace everyone and if they had low numbers in their area to start with.

Personally I think most places will have high infection numbers by the fall, no matter where you are.

Eccj

Greyhoundgirl
Old 06-25-2020, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree with you. They donít have a real plan yet. I donít think schools should even start planning until after the Fourth of July. We just donít know what will happen yet.
googaleeebear- I agree they never talk about staff and to be honest I donít think they care at all. Itís only about the students and parents.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I think we will keep having more cases. I mean, anyone who could understand basic science knew this would happen when we opened stuff up. People weren’t going to follow protocols and states were spiking before that.

If governors keep on refusing to shut down, we will be at 3.5 million cases by end of August and 250K deaths. I doubt this will change anyone’s minds about opening schools though.

NJ Teacher

I feel for you all...
Old 06-25-2020, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am very fortunate to be retired. As someone in her mid 60's, I would be in a higher risk group. I taught one of the primary grades. I don't think I could reasonably say all my kids would keep their masks on and practice hygiene practices that are recommended. Who knows if they are washing their hands in the bathroom? Getting ready to eat lunch in the classroom would be a process. Our custodians, while very nice people, only did a surface cleaning most of the time. Are they going to hire additional staff to keep up with the type of cleaning now required? And will they do this cleaning multiple times a day?

The scenarios seem to change multiple times. My state has not released guidelines yet, but they are if they are guidelines and not mandates, the district will implement them to the best of their ability. This includes finances. I taught in an affluent district, but the cost of implementing these measures has to be high. And I could not imagine trying to teach with distance learning on an indefinite basis. I always valued building relationships with my students and it is hard if not impossible to do in the age of Covid-19.

The unpredictability of the course of the virus is what scares me most. I am in an area which had experienced a very high case rate from March up until we flattened the curve a month or so ago. I still listen to the daily briefings where the governor chooses three people who were lost and tells their story. Some are relatively young people and I find myself thinking, "Why them?". I know some may have had underlying medical issues, but there are those like a baseball coach in his 30's, who seemingly did not. I try to do what I can to avoid getting sick, and I resent those who think we are being sheep.

Everyone involved in any way with the education system has my deepest respect. I wish I could say things are getting better, but with the recent spikes across the country, I am reminded that there is the potential for it to get worse. A vaccine and/or theraputic treatment can't come soon enough.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Googaleeebear
Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

I'm not tired of these posts but the uncertainty of not knowing a thing and it changes by the hour. I live in AZ which has suddenly become a major hotspot.

Thank you again and have a nice day.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

OhWhatFunItIs

I won't be going back
Old 06-25-2020, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Our district released a plan and basically not much is changing. They will put up signs warning to stay distanced, chairs and desks must be 6 feet apart, they are installing plastic shields on the teachers desk and we will be required to wear a mask all day. Children will eat lunch in the classroom so I have no idea how we will get our duty free lunch.

All of this is absolutely pointless when there are 25 people crammed in a room without proper ventilation. Masks and plastic shields do NOTHING when microbes are floating in the same air for 8 hours.

The only way I'll stay is if the virtual teaching option is available to me. I have been looking for jobs. Even if I have to suffer and work a minimum wage job then so be it.
OhWhatFunItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-25-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Fractured - all valid points, thanks for sharing those because a lot of those thoughts are mine as well.

Mshope

Googa...Same
Old 06-25-2020, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm terrified. I really feel like there is no way to go back safety.

People say other countries who went back to school did fine. Hmm, Israel? France? They had to shut down a bunch of schools. I don't think other countries even tracked the numbers of students/teachers who got infected. (Maybe Sweden? Not sure.) Plus, have you been overseas? We have so many more overweight people. (Not judging, I'm one of them.) I feel like that is a huge factor in this. Our kids are heavier. Our virus numbers are terrible. I keep seeing studies that antibodies are only lasting two or three months.

I think if we go back, they are willing to sacrifice a certain number of people for the greater "good." Being older or having an underlying condition might affect the way people think of it. If I was thin and younger, maybe I wouldn't see it this way.

What about sick kids? The diabetics? Heart problems. We have kids who have or are fighting cancers and other serious illnesses.

The worst part is that I don't want to continue to stay home. However, I also don't want to die or see those around me die or get really sick. I keep hearing about "long haulers" and about younger and younger people getting really ill.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 06-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
I think if we go back, they are willing to sacrifice a certain number of people for the greater "good."
Precisely. I feel as though this is a test run and we're the guinea pigs (I saw a meme on IG that likened it to Jurassic Park..not ready to open).

As cases rise, I am not happy about the return to school. I much rather be distance learning for another year. I don't see how it's great to start, and then eventually I *know* we will be back to DL anyway.