The VENT

Being Forced To Quit

>

ForcedtoQuit

ForcedtoQuit

Being Forced To Quit
Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been working two jobs for over 10 years, even before I started working for the district. It was never a problem until THIS year. Even though our contracts state our work day is from 7:30-3:00, we have to stay for staff meetings three times a month. These staff meetings often last from 1:00pm well past 4:30 pm! I have to leave to start my evening shift at my job no later than 4:45. Once I even stayed at the meeting until 4:45 so that I wouldn't get in trouble, but this made me late for my second job.

We all received an email stating that if we don't stay at the meetings, we would be written up. My issue isn't the meeting itself, but the fact we are meeting as late as 5 pm and onward! How is this even necessary???!! Why are we meeting for 4+ hours on a school day? If it were a day solely for professional development, that makes sense.

I emailed admin about it and got no response. Now I am forced to put in my resignation. I can't afford to be written up because I can't stay that late into the evening. What if I were a single mom and had no one to watch my kids?? I WON'T be quitting my second job to stay late for meetings at my first job either.

Monkeyflower

Have you looked at your contract?
Old 06-25-2020, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There should be information in the contract about how long meetings can be, and how many per month. Is everyone getting paid for staying late? What does Human Resources say? Are you a member of your union?

This sounds very stressful. I hope you can do some exploring before you put in your forced resignation.
Monkeyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would not quit your second job until you research this more. Those hours are ridiculous. I don't care if you're a union state or not, that's unreasonable. I agree with checking PP about your contract and asking a rep or someone. I hope it works out.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 06-25-2020, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Donít do anything yet unless you have a deadline. What theyíre demanding is ridiculous. However, weíre not sure what protections you have. Talk to others. Iím assuming you donít have a union. Research labor laws in your state. Sometimes lawyers will give a free consultation. Giving it time may also allow teachers, banding together, to pushback on this.

Try all avenues before resigning. I suspect it will be really hard to get a teaching job in the foreseeable future. What about giving up your second job? Look at all aspects, not just salary, such as health benefits, sick days, retirement, etc.

Wishing you all the best. Please come back and let us know what happens.

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, she wants to resign from her 2nd job, not her teaching job. But I don't think she should do that either until she's researched and talked to others, Labor Department, etc.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-25-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are you quitting your teaching job or 2nd job.

If you are quitting teaching job I hope your 2nd job is enough to support you. Will you have benefits with 2nd job?

If you are quitting 2nd job I am sure you can find something else that meets the hours you are available.

That all being said. That's a late day for a teaching job 3 times a month.

I'm sure it was abused my someone. I wouldn't do anything until I talked to my principal.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Second Job
Old 06-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am assuming you know the dates when these long, after school meetings will be held.

I think a simple solution would be to inform your second job employer that you will not be able to work the second job on those dates.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Even if you don't have a union
Old 06-25-2020, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

you might have a memorandum of understanding. For example, our MOA states that principals can use up to 10 hours of non-contract time for extra meetings such as faculty meetings. So at some point, she'd run out of extra hours and would not be able to write you up.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 06-25-2020, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our union contract specifies once a month faculty meeting, lasting maximum of 1 hour. Principal starts mtg 10 minutes after dismissal. One hour later, even if mtg isn't over, teachers get up and leave.

The result is that meetings move along and info that can be in emails is communicated that way.

Definitely check with union. If the work day for teachers ends at 3 and there is no contract clause extending the work hours on mtg days, you have no obligation to stay and district should not be trying to require it.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

That's Awful
Old 06-25-2020, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What do people who have kids/pets do? We have one faculty meeting a month that we are contracted to stay for. Like another posted said if it runs over, people start to just get up and leave. (It's funny because people even pack up early, just like kids do.)

I noticed over the years that the more you give, the more they take. Our union has really weakened and admin. really started cutting into our planning periods. There is NO reason these meetings should not be over at the end of the work day. I am shocked that anyone would stay that late.

Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Flexible?
Old 06-25-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You said the meetings are 3 times each month. Are they on the same days? Could you request those days "off the schedule" for your second job? It sounds like you know the dates ahead of time, could you request those days off or request to start later?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Meetings
Old 06-26-2020, 01:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When I was teaching we had meetings twice a month that often lasted until 5 pm or later. No one liked it, but it was allowable under our union contract.

Rearrange your hours, if possible, at your second job.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Union
Old 06-26-2020, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If you have a union, I would speak with a rep. to talk about this issue. Our meetings generally were one hour after school so they went till 4 or 4:30. We used to only meet one Monday a month, but in recent years, almost every Monday was one administrator from the building and/or district imparting their wisdom.

I would speak directly to your administrator about your issue after contacting the union for advice if you have one. Emails often get lost and the fact that you got no response doesn't mean a denial of your situation. We have teachers who have had to leave a few minutes later for child care, and there have been times when a medical appointment needed to be scheduled on the day of meeting. Life happens. It isn't like you are directly trying to avoid the meetings, you need the job.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Check with your union or contract. We are required to stay for meetings but they can't last longer than one hour. Once a principal required us to stay for an extra hour, someone filed a complaint, she got reprimanded and never did it again.
Your district may have similar time limitations.
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Right to work state
Old 06-27-2020, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

If you are in a right to work state are there any teacher associations you could join that provide legal services?

Freudian slip autocorrect??
Autocorrect changed "right to work" to "fight to work" . That is probably more accurate!
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jessica123

Teacher's Union?
Old 07-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Join your local teacher's union.
Preferably one that doesn't allow administrators to join, for bias purposes.

Pay the fee!
Make your complaint.
Get advice.
Jessica123 is offline   Reply With Quote