Help

BusyBoard

Maternity Leave To Start School Year

>

TeacherMeg

Maternity Leave To Start School Year
Old 06-30-2020, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am expecting baby #3 in early August. School starts here on August 7, so I am planning to begin the school year on maternity leave and return to work in October. I feel like I need to be using this time right now to prepare for my long-term sub, but I have no idea where to even start since I have no clue what school will even look like in August. My district has stated that they are "reviewing all options" and surveys have been sent out to teachers and parents about preferences for online vs. in person learning. Nothing official has been announced yet. To complicate things even further, our wonderful principal retired in May, and there has been no announcement made about who will be replacing her. Our AP is also transferring to a new school and I'm not sure who is replacing him. Also, I teach 3rd grade and we team teach. There are 4 teachers total - two teach math and science and two teach ELA and Social Studies. I teach ELA / SS. The other ELA teacher will be brand new to third grade and knows nothing about the curriculum (she has taught K and 1 for several years, so not a new teacher, just new to the grade level).

I feel like I'm throwing my poor substitute to the wolves. New admin, a partner not familiar with the curriculum, and no idea what format school will even have. I do not know my sub personally, but as far as I know, the sub is a retired teacher who has previous experience in 3rd grade so that will be helpful. Of course, she agreed to the assignment pre-Covid and I do not have her contact information, so I really have no way of knowing right now if she is still planning to take the assignment. As soon as our new admin is announced, I'm planning to reach out to them to make sure my leave is covered.

What can I be doing now to help prepare for her? So far, I've started a Google Doc with information basic school procedures and my normal classroom routines. I've gone back through my lesson plans from last school year on Planbook and made sure everything is clear and organized with attachments linked for activities. Of course, I've put notes on everything that this was what I used last year and may all need to be changed depending on new guidelines once they come out. I have nothing prepared if we do virtual learning, since I'm not sure at all how that will look in my district if we go that route.

Any advice or suggestions? I know once this baby arrives, I'm not going to have the time or ability to do a lot of school work. I would love to get as much organized as possible now. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Do you know the team teacher?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The one that taught K and 1?

I would reach out to her, since she will probably be expected to assist your long term substitute (whether she's ready or not!) I would send HER your last year's plans as well. I'm sure she'd appreciate them, even if she doesn't use them exactly. They would be a jump off point for her.

Then, it will be easier for her to help adapt to learn-at-home options if necessary, which she can then share with your LTS.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 06-30-2020, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I do know the new team teacher moving up to 3rd. She's very nervous about the move, but she has taught at our school for about 3 years so she is at least familiar with school routines and will know many of the students. I will definitely share everything that I have with her as well! Hopefully that will give both her and the sub a starting point.

Thank you for the suggestion!
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Contact your school secretary?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A school secretary often knows more about what is happening with job assignments, so maybe you can contact her to ask if she knows, yet, who is assigned to be your long term substitute. She's aware of the change in administration and that you're on maternity leave. I'd think she'd realize the urgency of your request to know who your sub will be so you can communicate directly with that person before the school year starts, particularly in light of all the Covid-19 uncertainties.

I wish you a happy healthy maternity and a happy healthy baby!

Last edited by Risa; 06-30-2020 at 09:18 AM..
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Hr?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love the suggestions you got so far. Have you thought about contacting HR to see if the person is still planning on taking the sub job and if they have her contact information? You could contact her and at least reach out to her to explain that you would love to do things now to help her, but you don't know the format of next year. Being a retired teacher, I'm sure she gets it. I also think that being a retired teacher, you will NOT be throwing her to the wolves at all. I had two preferred substitutes at one of the schools I was at and one at the last school I was who were all 3 retired teachers. I preferred them so much more than the newbies or ones who just had a sub license. They were comfortable with uncertainty, knew that things happened beyond my control/their control, and had phenomenal classroom management.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote