BusyBoard

Want to switch grade levels

>

CamilleNYC001

Want to switch grade levels
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,

My principal hired me for 5th; but, I want to teach 4th. I have taught 4th grade for 15 years and am very confident with the curriculum and standards.

I did ask her two weeks ago if anyone on her 4th grade team would like to move up; so, I can go down to 4th. She said she would think about it.

How can I follow up with her w/o looking like I am not ready for the challenge of 5th.

Thank you for your help!

CamilleNYC001 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome!
I could be wrong, but my "gut" tells me that if anyone on 4th wanted to move up, they would have already asked the P to do so when the postion opened up. You might be better off, as a new hire especially, just waiting -teach 5th this year, and if you still want to move ask your P if there's any opportunity next year. Just my thoughts.
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

I agee
Old 06-30-2020, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

With the PP. She knows you are interested in moving. You do not want tl give the impression you are not happy with 5th grade.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

I agee
Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Double post.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-30-2020, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the others. Any internal moves would have been made before the position posted. You applied for 5th and you were hired for 5th. Take the year to enjoy a new grade level and a new building.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-30-2020, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with the previous posters. I totally understand your grade preferences, especially since you have 15 years experience in fourth grade.
Having said that, I'm sure your principal knew that you had a great deal of experience in fourth grade....she probably saw your resume, right? Plus, you've mentioned that you'd prefer to teach fourth grade, right?
I suspect the principal considered personnel changes before advertising the position. People who have been in the building often have precedence over new hires. If there was any uncertainty, the principal likely would have mentioned it at the interview to allow you to express your preference.
My two cents is not to bring it up again. Go in to the school and teach fifth grade. You have a tremendous leg-up because you already know what the kids should have learned. You're also well-positioned to help those kids who might struggle in fifth grade.
Once you've been in there and teaching for a while (say in January),you might tell admin, "Hey, if a fourth grade opening ever comes up, I'd love to get back to that grade level."
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 06-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with the others. You asked if the principal doesn’t respond, let it go and teach 5th. You may find you love it! I thought I loved 4th. After teaching it for 10 years I moved up to 5th and then to 6th. I love the older kids way more than I even thought I would.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

I agree with other posters
Old 06-30-2020, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Please don't ask your P about 4th grade again. It might put a target on your back.

A colleague asked me if I would Trade places with her, I told her it was ok with me. We were both new to the school and went to talk with the P, we didn't see it as a big deal. Well, apparently it was a big deal for the P. She targeted my colleague and made her life hell. She didn't like me either So, I would really advise against asking again. Just my experience/opinion.

In my district at the time you didn't have to interview, you just went down on the open day and signed up for your 10 schools you wanted. If there was a position, you were notified.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote