Social Studies

second grade teacher

>

arm

arm

second grade teacher
Old 10-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a simple project to use with my second graders that will help them learn about landforms. Does anyone have an idea? I would really like to have something that can be done at school, not sent home for parents to do.

mrj

mrj

landforms
Old 10-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the students bodies to help them understand the landforms and water forms. We make a winding river by putting our bodies head to toe. Be sure to have their arms by their body and have some be straight and some bending. For a lake we lay head to toe but we put ourselves into a closed shape. Remember lakes are all different shapes but are closed up. For the landforms: mountians - I have the students pair up stand on chairs and raise their hands and put them palm to palm; hills - I have the students get down on their hands and knees and round their backs; valley - I have the students sit and raise the legs and arms in a v. I hope this helps.
Lynne

Lynne

landforms
Old 10-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We make landforms out of modeling clay.

DJ/SC

Sand Buckets
Old 10-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know how brave you are with hands-on lessons, so use at your discretion.
A plastic dish pan with sand and a cup of water will give them a tactile/kinesthetic experience. To keep your "lake" or ocean from disappearing into the sand, line it with a colored plastic bag that has no holes in it that has been trimmed to fit the water body.
Sand or clay can molded into mountains. Small twigs can be trees.
You may want to demonstrate with one pan in small groups in order to supervise little hands.
DJ/SC is offline   Reply With Quote