Social Studies

Need help with culture lessons

>

HeyTeach

HeyTeach

Need help with culture lessons
Old 10-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all! This is my 2nd year teaching 3rd grade. Our current SS unit of study is "One World Many Cultures." Does anyone have any interesting activities/lessons regarding different types of cutlures here in the US. I'm drawing a blank and running out of ideas in the classroom!

Thanks!

Heather

Heather

Student's Family
Old 10-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A great way to introduce the idea of culture is to have students investigate their own culture. Not necessarily their culture as it relates to race, but doing a report on themselves from the language they speak, the beliefs of their family etc. It would be a great way to introduce the "categories" of culture so then they could study other cultures using those same "categories". I got the idea from a six grade class.
Gail

Gail

Many Cultures
Old 10-18-2005, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow! Tough topic. We're in South Florida, so our many cultures are from around the world. We start an immigration unit right before Thanksgiving that explores a lot of different backgrounds. Activities include becoming a "family scribe" and collecting a family story that you never knew before (which we gather into a class book for all to share), reading "Molly's Pilgrim" and discovering the places our relatives come from (which we then "flag" on our class map), discussing the reasons why our relatives come here, and creating a family tree. At Christmas, we create ornaments that incorporate things like flags of different countries and family traditions for our classroom tree. This is more individualized and some of your students may need extra help, but it's a great project. We've done it for the past three years and it has been a great learning experience.
booklvr

booklvr

culture idea
Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a project in my S.S. methods class in college, and I loved the idea for kids!
They are divided into groups and create their own culture. There is a lot of creativity involved here, because the "cultures" are very unique. Each culture, also, must:
1) have their own container, for display purposes.
2) create a language for your culture
3) have a shelter of some sort (home)
4) food
5) currency
6) laws
and extras might include entertainment, transportation, religion, art, etc.

For example, our culture was a tree culture. Our container looked like a stump. Inside the stump were pictures (from a computer) of the "homes" in our culture - tree houses. Our "money" consisted of various bird feathers (the more rare the feather, the greater the currency). Our food consisted of fruits, nuts, berries and tree-dwelling creatures (not including birds - continue reading to find out why). Our transporation was by vine. Our laws consisted of "no" signs, showing bird hunting, tangled vines, and fire, posted on large fake leaves (bought at craft stores). Our religion was one of bird worship. Our art was wood framed leaf-rubbing prints. Our entertainment was a wooden rope swing. These are just some of the included items.

Examples of cultures that other groups created:
Sun culture: sunflower seeds, bathing suits, sun tan oil, lived on boats, entertainment was tubing/skiing, Sunkist granola bars
Music culture: container was an instrument case, entertainment was record tossing (think frisbees), their currency was made up of ticket stubs from musicals.

Other ideas that were "thrown out:'
dog/cat culture
ocean culture
winter/snow culture
metal/wood culture
food culture

I hope this helps someone!
Teacherinneed

Teacherinneed

Student teacher
Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love this idea. I need to create a 2 week unit that I will be teaching my fifth grade students. My concept is culture and my topic is heritages. My question to you is how would you grade the students? What type of rubric would you make?

Please let me know soon,

Thanks, Sarah T.