Help

The VENT

Disrespect in the classroom

>

lifelearner

Disrespect in the classroom
Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am just wondering if veteran teachers have noticed a change with students being more disrespectful than in earlier years of teaching? I would really like to know what has been happening in education recently but it seems to me that student disrespect for teachers as well as one another is at an all time high. Students seem to believe that they are entitled to good grades and parents also. Am I imagining this? Please talk to me. I am very confused.

lifelearner is offline   Reply With Quote

clkelley

I totally agree that
Old 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

speaking about the majorty of students there's a lack of respect.( I have taught since the 1970's.) I don't think parents are spending enough time with their children teaching courtesy and respect. It's not modeled on TV. Parents are more likely to side with their children against the teacher instead of accepting and supporting consequences for misbehavior.

Saying this, I also see that there are some really respectful, hard-working kids. Unfortunately, I feel they are in the minority.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I seriously think that we spend more waking hours with our students than their parents do. I agree that they aren't getting the "home training" that most of us received. That and the influence of "anything goes TV and video games" make disrespectful behavior seems normal to the kids. I also think that since parents don't spend as much time with their children, their guilt kicks in and they overcompensate by believing everything their children say. Just my 2 cents.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Disrespectful
Old 06-17-2010, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree too. Students push you aside to get thru the door, if you drop something, no one moves to pick it up. Students drop their garbage where ever they want. Some students say yes Mamam and such sarcastically. One parent told me her student was just trying to fit in so his inappropriate behavior was OK. Another parent wrote me back and said that "Screw You" was language that they used in their house. Therefore, her son could say it!
12345413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Super Sub

Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As an elementary sub I have been in K-5 for a several years now. During those years I have seen a steady decline in behavior of students. Sure there are good kids who will always be good but the bad ones are starting much younger now. I've seen kindergarteners and first graders with some pretty mean and nasty behaviors and attitude. They haven't been in school long enough for that to be the cause. They are learning these things at home and bringing it to school.

Super Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-17-2010, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just finished my 17th year, and I have not seen an overall decline. In fact, I really see fewer major issues. When I started I had really good kids and really, really rough kids. I even had one who used to spend weekends in jail. (12th grader)

What I have seen is a decline in those kids, but an increase in smaller issues.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Change
Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In CA I have seen a change and I have only been teaching 11+ years. I think there are a couple of factors, one is here they are ALWAYS changing EVERYTHING. Class size, curriculum, standards, programs (Every principal/vp/superintendent etc. think they have THE one thing that needs to be done to fix everything) etc. We need some continuity, can we please do the same thing/have the same materials for more than a year or two? In my 11 years in this district I have seen so many "programs" come and go, I couldn't begin to name any of them. Just as I "comprehend" one, it's gone and something new is there.

The other problem I see is parents don't view education as important. I am in my mid-30's and if I missed school it was usually because I was REALLY sick or once a year if a religious holiday was a weekday. This past school year, I have to admit I think I have heard them all---"My dad didn't feel like driving me to school"; "We had to go to Disneyworld", my favorite which I heard the most this year "I don't know why I wasn't at school yesterday." I was stunned by the honesty of the kids (the parents usually said "He was sick").
I also had a huge turnover, I think my shortest was a student was enrolled for a week but I had 2 students who by mid-March were on their 4th school for 3rd grade!!! The parents don't care if their student does his/her homework, never has any comments or concerns (I sent home a Monday letter every Monday that had to be signed, and I discussed this at back to school night and both conferences (and first conference I met with EVERY parent!)

Just my opinion but until parents start viewing education as important nothing will change...
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

Depends on the class
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Some years are rougher than other but I can't say that they are any rougher then when I started subbing back in 1990 ( of course I started in a pretty rough school).

I give TV a great deal of credit for society changes--rude behavior. New technology has created a few more issues concerning respect---My ,new pet peeve parents texting during conferences and field trips.
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been teaching 35 years and there is definitely a change. Parents are afraid of anything that might hurt their child's feelings. So many include their child in decisions that are adult situations, and are okay with the interruptions and challenging comments they receive from them. Another problem I find is that being punctual is not important - both being to class on time and turning in assignments on time, and think a lot of that is due to the number of parents that don't have to be at work at a specific time and work from home.

Parents feel guilty because of the long work hours, and to relieve this guilt they don't set the same standards for their children that were set at one time. I could go on and on because the whole disrespect issue is a sore spot with me.

Oh...aksuz I agree...how can the students learn to be respectful when their parents aren't! I had to ask a parent to please stop texting during our conference and she that I was being unreasonable.

rylndecker - I had a student have the nerve to ask me to change our class trip to the Mission because she was going to Disneyland that day, and one who didn't turn the first paper for her Science Fair Project because she decided she didn't need to do one because she was going on vacation the week of the fair. How about homework not being done because they had guests for dinner or a new movie began that day and they went to see it?
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

i agree
Old 06-19-2010, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have been teaching 12 years and I do see a change in that time as well as a change since I was in school.

When I was in elem school... there were 1 or 2 kids that misbehaved in my class each year (but nothing compared to what we see today). Everyone else pretty much was good and tried their best. But today, I see MOST kids being completely greedy and ungrateful...and they come from ALL KINDS of home situations. Like a previous poster mentioned, they push you over to get through a line, they drop trash all over and never a please or a thank you is heard. And, back when I was in school - teachers didn't spend time teaching their students about manners, because that was done at home!

I had a kid this year that got in trouble on the bus w/ a certain other student... got in trouble at home with the same student (SERIOUS) and then the mother continued to let her child play with this other child unsupervised after school... I'm thinking it was easier for her to just say yes than have to deal with her child being cranky and unhappy for not being allowed to hang out with the friend.

I agree with the previous poster that said that parents feel some guilt or just think that indulging their child in every way possible easier than actually having discipline.

I was shocked when I went to an off-school grounds event where there were children from nearby schools also attending... they were even WORSE than the kids from my school! That right there tells me that being consistent and having clear and simple rules and consequences for being rude, disrespectful and impolite DO help... it's just hard to see how well it's working until you see kids that have not had high expectations for manners at their schools.

crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

mlr42002

Old 06-19-2010, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have only been teaching for eight years but I see a huge decline. I live in the New Orleans area so after Katrina a lot of things were given to the students such as supplies and food. Now five years later the parents expect us to still be giving it to the students and even go as far as telling the kids that supplying pencils are not their problem. I have heard so many times from kids that their parents pay for my salary so they don't have to listen to me. Parents are always taking up for their kids. I believe if parents were to be held accountable for some things such as tardies for no reason or their kids being suspended we would see a change.
mlr42002 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 06-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think there has been a change. But I also wonder whether our memories of what the behavior was like in the classrooms when we were not the teacher might be looking through rose colored glasses? When we are little we are the center of our world and the awareness of others actions can be minimal if it does not directly effect you. I would need to talk to people who taught back in the 70's and still teach today in the same place to really get an idea. Even then many people's perspective of things change as years go by so what may have seemed serious when younger or older does not seem so when on the opposite side.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

I agree
Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It seems that kids have less and less respect for authority, have no sense of what is and is not appropriate regarding language and behavior in different types of situations, and have a serious sense of entitlement. And it doesn't help that they are very aware of the fact that educators' hands are figuaratively tied in what kind of consequences we can impose for inappropriate behavior. They know that we can't so much as tap them on the shoulder to wake them up without risking them claiming physical abuse, because we're not allowed to touch them.

Unfortunately, I see it as a symptom of society. Everything these days seems to be all about "What's in it for me ?" Everyone is quick to want to sue for the stupidest things (Remember the lady who sued McDonald's because she was scalded by the coffee that spilled on her -- the one she was holding between her legs while she was driving !?) Everything is always someone else's fault; and way too many people are willing to rely on whatever government handouts they can get.

How can we expect kids to have any kind of worth ethic or sense of personal responsibility when these things are not modeled at home, and when they are being exposed at MUCH too young an age to inappropriate movies, TV shows, video games, etc. I honestly think most parents just don't have a clue. Or they are just opting for the easy way out, because it's too much trouble to actually parent your child. It's a sad, sad decline.

Last edited by Mme Escargot; 06-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Please know that in my previous post, I was just venting about what I see far too much of these days. I did not mean to offend anyone and should probably have avoided using "everyone," because I know that there are still a LOT of great parents out there, and people who do have a strong work ethic and sense of responsibility. I can tell just from reading the various posts on PT that most of us are on the same page where that is concerned. It's sad that the bad stuff is what stands out in our minds, and all the good things going on out there and the great people ( and kids ) out there are getting forgotten and overlooked in all the bad.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

Mindfull

Only ten year...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I see a decline in respect from everyone. Parents don't hesitate to storm into your classroom and demand a conference right in the middle of a lesson. Student's don't hesitate to tell you they are not doing the assignments, they don't feel like it, or they don't want to do it right now. Since when are assigned lessons an option? I hear young children call each other ho's, "Bi," "MFer's," sluts," and then answering questions with, "What the hell!"
I see kids laugh when they are sent to the office, and then hear that they laughed when the principal tried to talk with them about their decisions.
I just posted about a high school student that cussed me out and then plopped on my desk and said, "Make Me Leave!" I am now afraid of him as he has done this too many times.
Then there are those who respect school, adults, and others all the time. They know what school is about and are ready to do their part. That is why I keep coming back.
Mindfull is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Manners
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Each year I always say the same thing- Where have their manners gone. Each year it seems to be getting worse. At my school, students will literally push teachers when coming or going to recess. I blame the parents for not teaching manners. I remember as a child I wouldnt even think twice about being disrespectful to my teachers- now I see all these incredible things that just shock me. Its just so interesting when strangers tell me "Oh how cute first graders are". I dont even bother to tell them that they can be rude, cruel, insensitive and mean too.
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Change
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I think we are changing as a culture, so I would expect some changes in the norms at school as well.

I do feel like I put a lot more effort into managing "respect" in the classroom these days, intervening in things like children pushing in the halls and saying inappropriate things, but I feel like this has less to do with a decline in student behavior and more to do with a subtle shift in what I am willing to deal with in the classroom and my own improving management abilities. In general, I have come to a place where I feel like I can more effectively fight the little battles and avoid the big ones all together.

What I am more concerned about is a general increase in students with serious emotional problems, special education needs, and social work concerns. During a recent lunch with some other teachers in my inner city school, we could only list a handful of kids we couldn't make a case for psychological or social work intervention for IN THE WHOLE SCHOOL.

I see this more as a growing divide between haves and have nots, as well as the persistent consequence of generational poverty. I'm starting to be concerned that there is a whole underclass of severely damaged children in the inner city. I think we're in for a bumpy ride.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote
underwraps00

underwraps00

Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hem and haw about it all you want, but there is no denying an epidemic of disrespect, apathy, and generally unacceptable behaviour is sweeping North American classrooms. As a substitute teacher I am frequently exposed to disrespectful behaviour from students. I see it everyday. In my experience, it is not a symptom of the poverty-stricken population, but a side-effect of mass privilege and pervasive entitlement. Texting in class, foul language, drug use, abuse of teachers, refusal to do assigned work in class, to turn in assignments, erratic attendance, frequent tardiness are rampant. I would love to attach all the blame to poor parenting strategies, as I believe this is where the biggest disconnect happens between student/parent/teacher, but I can't say that home is where it is all gone wrong. Public education institutions, boards, government ministries have been pressured to whittle away and consistently lower their standards and expectations when it comes to discipline in schools. Fear is a great motivator, and with the popularity of litigation and lawsuits, threats of lawsuits, and internet whistleblowers have made it damn near impossible to enforce any kind of discipline in schools because no one wants to get sued.

We are failing students if we don't prepare them for life outside of school. I try )often in vain) to explain to students that showing up 30 minutes late and saying F*** you to your boss will likely get you fired. Low productivity amongst employees is a huge problem in many workplaces, as people can't seem to muster the self-discipline to buckle down and get work done instead of posting their latest complaint or social snafu on facebook or twitter. The negative influences are all around, schools are about the only place who are still fighting children and young adults to (gasp) concentrate, get it done, focus and learn.

Teach to those who want to learn, as they are the ones who will be making decisions and working for the future. The rest have decided (however poorly, however precipitously)to opt out of working towards a better future for themselves. Call me callous, but the world is, and continues to be survival of the fittest - not survival of the most rebellious.

Phyllis

My Two-bits
Old 11-25-2011, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Seems to me the changes that are happening in the classroom just reflect the changes in society in general. We see the same changes in all public places and perhaps in homes.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Society is not as polite to others in general and is less respectful of education.

Pepper spray at a Black Friday sale? Prime example of how greedy and self-centered many have become.

Quote:
Remember the lady who sued McDonald's because she was scalded by the coffee that spilled on her -- the one she was holding between her legs while she was driving !?
Yeah, I remember her. She had 3rd degree burns and multiple surgeries due to that spill. McDonald's really was making their coffee dangerously hot, and had been warned about it previously. So this lady was actually not over-reacting. But the whole country condemned her because the news media didn't get the truth out.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote