Help

The VENT

Share your dumb parent stories/comments

>

Angelo

Share your dumb parent stories/comments
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay... just for fun, since (as you may have noticed) dumb parents are a pet peeve of mine. So why not share your top "dumb parent" encounters? Here are my top "dumb parent" moments:

5. "He thought you were a supply teacher." (A parent's explanation/defense for her son's being rude to me when I was covering another teacher's class).

4. "Wasn't it National Skip Day?" (A parent's attempt to excuse her son's truancy that involved a missed test).

3. "Play fighting is normal and not a big deal. Stop overreacting." (A dad's response to my concern that two 17-year-old male students were constantly attempting to wrestle with one another while entering and exiting my classroom. The dad went on to comment that play fighting is a "normal male bonding ritual" and that "my brothers and I still play fight when we get together and we're all in our 40s").

2. "It's only plagiarism if it's verbatim." (A parent confused as to why I called her daughter's essay plagiarized when "several words" had been changed from the original [unacknowledged] source. "Besides... anything on the Internet should be considered part of the public domain.")

1. "She cheated because she was lost and confused and you didn't teach the material properly." (A parent's attempt to explain why her daughter cheated on my test and why she should not be subject to any academic consequence for said cheating.)

Post your own "dumb parent" encounters in response to this thread. Winners will be determined by consensus from the group.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

While teaching my students to do a
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

research paper (when I taught HS - 9th grade), and after providing them with a huge selection of books to use in the classroom, allowing them to use the library in shifts and/or use the six classroom computers in shifts to access the Internet, AND allowing them to work as partners, I received a long email from a parent who was informing me that he was going to report me to the superintendent because, every time his daughter asked a question, I told her to LOOK IT UP! Mind you, she was asking questions like, "Where was [subject of her paper] born?" and "Did [subject of her paper] have children?" etc. Mr. Parent informed me that it was very demoralizing and cruel of me to not help his daughter when she asked for help.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

May2006

Field trip
Old 05-02-2012, 12:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last Thursday I was telling my students about all of the events coming up in May. I told them we are going to the local college for a swimming field trip at the end of May. Friday morning fifteen minutes before the bus arrives, a students mother called.

Mom: "Does Littlte Timmy have a field trip today?"
Me: "No. It is an early release day."
Mom: "Early release?! Oh... I didn't know that. He thought he was going swimming"
Me: "No, that trip isn't untill the end of May"
Mom: "Oh... I wondered why his older brother wasn't going... I don't remember signing a permission slip.... Well, I packed his towel and bathing suit in his backpack...."

So, you can imagine how sad my kindergarten student was when he got to school and found out we were not going swimming! What a disapointment first thing in the morning!
May2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In October of one school year, I got a note asking to excuse her son from school the next day because his grandfather passed away. Her father - his grandfather had died. The next day, the class signed a card and draw pictures to the boy which we put into a book. On Friday that week, the card and book were sent home with the boy.

Then again at the end of February of the same school year, I got a note asking to excuse her son from school the next day because her father, his grandfather passed away. WHAT? This time I didn't have the students make a book or sign a card.

At conferences in the middle of March, I expressed my saddness to hear that her father passed away and asked how she was doing. The mother looked at me, dumbfounded, and said, "My father didn't die. He is very much alive."

It was my turn to look dumbfounded. I opened her son's portfolio and on top were the two notes that she had written.

She saw them and smiled funny - and said, "Okay! I'm busted!"

REALLY? No wonder her son constantly give little white lies in the classroom all the time also.
Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
frustrated 1

frustrated 1

Reading Logs
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

" I didn't know reading logs were for a grade, I just thought they did it for the pizza coupon and we don't go to Pizza Hut"

1. The parent of this child had been in my class for a year and a half.
2. Reading logs have ALWAYS been for a grade and we talked about it the year before at conferences.
3. The Student knew because I announce that they are due, for a grade, the last day of EVERY month.
4. It was in their planners that it was due for a grade.
5. It was in the class news letter and the beginning of the year note home when I sent them home in September

Quatro

Some of mine
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"What day is Valentine's Day?" I replied February 14th. She told the P I was a smart a**.

Another parent said I had "angry writing" on her son's paper so she didnt' look at anymore of my grading. She didn't mention the "angry writing" until the end of November when the paper was from August! That is why she didn't know sweetie was failing.

I called a mother as the student no longer would speak to me went on for weeks. What was the problem? I didn't give him his bookorder. You have to submit the order for me to place it with the company. My mind reading skill was off that day.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Taxes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"I'm not paying for that library book (that his child had destroyed) because I already paid for it with my taxes!"

No wonder his kid was a poor reader...

Blcw
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

ESDTeacher98

fun topic!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a parent call the P because I changed the way I had the kids turn in work...instead of putting it in the basket, I asked them to turn it in to me. She didn't like that.
ESDTeacher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Mr. Parent informed me that it was very demoralizing and cruel of me to not help his daughter when she asked for help.
I can relate, Clarity.

Awhile back, my problem mom said she didn't know why I wouldn't help her DS. I said I do help him, but wouldn't spoon-feed him. That really made her angry and she still hates my guts. It's been over a year and I no longer have her DS. (I had him 2 yrs, looping.)

His current teacher said today that she's having lots of problems with this child wanting her to do his work for him.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Hound

Daddy Dooty
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

While teaching kindergarten one year, I had a father complain to me that his son's underwear was coming home with excessive racing stripes and wanted to know why I wasn't wiping his son's behind properly. Not in my job description!

Rock Hound is offline   Reply With Quote

1982Teacher

Confused
Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had a parent call the P because I wouldn't help her son. I had her oldest child for 2 years and this was the 1st year with the second child. I wouldn't help her child because we were taking the MAT 7 test. Obviously she did not read my newsletter, half of it was about the upcoming test.
1982Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Petey2000

Here's a good one!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

After having a lesson on fire safety and emphasizing that we do not go in the house for our favorite toy, a parent ripped a strip off me. Apparently her daughter was "traumatized" about the possibility of losing her favorite doll and she wanted me to take back what I said. The kicker is that her husband is a fire fighter. That is only one thing about the woman who just about put me on stress leave because she wanted my head on a platter.
Petey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had a father call me and leave a long (5 minute), rambling voicemail. He had had a dream the previous night and just knew that I shouldn't let his daughter go swimming on our P.E. field trip - something bad was going to happen. At one point in the message he started speaking in what I could only call "gibberish", then said "bless you" and hung up. I called him back and convinced him that she could swim with a life jacket on.

Poor kid, she showed up to school a sobbing mess b/c he told her right before she left that there would be no swimming because of his dream!
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Re: Taxes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lots of good examples! So far, my favorite is the library book/taxes thing.

We had a parent threaten a lawsuit in our district about four or five years ago over something similar. She even called the media and managed to get on the news.

Her genius son had left a school clarinet on the subway, and it was never found. Mom refused outright to pay for the lost instrument (even though she had signed the standard parental agreement to be responsible for any loss of - or damage to - the instrument when her son signed it out for Orchestra class). She said basically the same thing. He had left it on the train accidentally (a totally understandable mistake, she felt), and the clarinet was paid for by tax dollars, so she shouldn't be on the hook for it.

The school put a debt flag on the student's file (no report card, transcript, or diploma released until the debt was paid), and the Orchestra teacher refused to let him sign out another instrument.

Mom shrieked on the 5 o'clock news that "Public education is supposed to be free" and that "this type of policy creates hardships for low-income families" and "we pay enough in taxes" and on and on. For a while, the District decreed that we could no longer withhold report cards over lost library books, class materials, etc. When asked how the schools should recoup the losses without the ability to charge parents, there was a great deal of shrugging. The thing eventually died down, and I think they're back to using debt flags again.

lasflores

missed days
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have a student who misses an average of 2 days a week. His mom's excuse is that when he misses the bus she has too many other kids and it is hard to load them all up to bring him to school.
lasflores is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Here's mine
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Mom calls my room 20 minutes before school starts. She is a case worker at DSHS. She couldn't help her son with his math last night because "his dad and I don't understand what to do". 4th grade math...2 digit by 1 digit multiplication. Wow.
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Parent of a second grader, " I can't believe you teachers. You expect so much. You expect them to be able to read in second grade.

My urologist told me that my sons p#### and my daughters v#####, ( I stopped the conversation right there even though he repeatedly tried to call and finish the conversation.)
My personal favorite, " my daughter IS NOT HAVING DIFFICULTY counting dimes and pennies. She's just guessing.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

hhahahaha
Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

When is Valentine's Day? She asked a dumb a$$ question and she got a perfectly good answer!
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Me: "Sammy Sue appears to be having difficulty learning her letters and sounds."
Parent: "That's because there's too many of them."

Me: "You may want to consider retention for Johnny Joe."
Parent: "OK. He doesn't need any friends until 5th grade anyway." (He was in K)

Me: "We are very concerned about Jim Bob's's lack of attendance."
Parent: "It's really hard for me to get into the routine of school." (It was Day 104)

Phone message: "Sorry I missed my parent conference. I had to go to a cookie exchange."

Note from parent: "Please excuse Mary Lou from being absent yesterday. We all slept until noon."
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Parent encounters
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Perfect timing! I got this just last night as a response to my second email this week about a boy who continually and systematically destroys pencils. I think he's gone through about 200 this school year. Earlier this week he used a paper clip and made a weapon out of a pencil. Here's what dad has to say about his darling boy:

"With all due respect, I don't need to know about this kind of stuff. He's just being a boy, exploring things. Being curious is a good thing, and I don't fault him for it. The timing could be better, but if it doesn't affect his academic performance, it's not a big deal. I'll just buy another box or two of pencils. "
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

new1stgrader

Too funny!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

These are great! It's amazing the things that we hear.

I sent out an email to parents of kids with summer birthdays saying that instead of them bringing in treats a bunch of different times in May that we were going to have one summer birthday party for all of them on May 25. The email only went out to parents of kids with birthdays in June, July, and August. I asked them to sign up to bring something to the party (sweet treat, healthy snack, plates, party favors, etc). I got an email back from one of the parents asking "What about June birthdays?". We are out of school June 1 so I guess when I emailed I expected June birthdays to sign up for a slot.
new1stgrader is offline   Reply With Quote

CurlieGirl

the parent told me
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

That I needed to reschedule the planned classroom celebration event for "another day" because her child will be absent. It was hard enough to find a day at this busy time of year to plan it in the first place, why should I reschedule it on behalf of a student who has already logged 25 absences this year for assorted this-and-thats?
CurlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

just 30 min ago!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Phone call

Me: Hello. Ms subczy for Mr. regular teacher. (who teaches seniors btw)
Parent: i want to talk to you about the test my dd is going to take.
me: i am sorry, but I am a substitute teacher. may I take a message and leave it for Mr. regular and he can call you back tomorrow? Or perhaps you would like to email him?
Parent: Why can't you help me?
Me: i wish i could. However, substitutes do nto have access to the students grades or tests.
Parent: But you are there now.
Me: And we are working on a book assignment. Also I do not know your student personally and so it would be better if you spoke with mr. regular.
Parent: I don't understand.
me: Mr. Regular is not here. you need to talk to him. Call him back tomorrow.
Parent: "clicK"
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

bearpaws31

Snack time
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

When I was teaching K, I supplied a snack (which I paid for) to the kids that didn't have one. There were always the same few kids that didn't have anything. I got a note one morning from a mother of one kid who always needed a snack demanding an explanation why her child was not eating the snacks she sent for him and why I was making him throw away his snack without finishing! I responded with a letter to her explaining that I had been supplying him with snacks and that they have about 15 min to eat their snacks. I had to continue with our lessons and couldn't wait any longer and that it was the food that I supplied him that he would be throwing away. Furthermore, how would I know that he had a snack in his backpack?
bearpaws31 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

It was the end of the school year and we finally were able to get a student's parent in (after the AP personally visited her house) because the child was going to be retained. (5th grader)

Mom sat down at his desk and looked inside and was shocked. She told us that her son told her that the school didn't have books -- that's why he never had homework. She really thought the school did not have any books?

I truly tried to reach this child and I tried everything imaginable to get in touch with parents. We did have the social worker make several visits, but the mama was never home. (daddy was in jail)
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Parent wrote a note to me on notebook paper explaining that Junior could not write the paragraph because he didn't have any paper.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

wow.. just wow...

My few are tame:

1.) Parent visits classroom to talk. Lets her younger kid (little brother) run around and trash the room. Her excuse was she'd rather have him be energetic here than at home.

2.) Was told by a parent she is only acting out because she loves you.

3.) Had one mom try to force her way into the class and stay all day. I refused and pushed her out of the room physically. Now Mom was kinda large for an Asian woman (I am going say about 5ft 8 and 230 pounds easy) and told me she was sending her DH to my class tomorrow!!!

DH shows up the next day hours after school ended and he is about 4ft 9 and 110 lbs soaking wet. He apologizes for his DW and I said how she had no right to enter my classroom. He said to me "try living with her" .

He bought me a beer and we agreed that he would lie to his DW and say he set me straight as long as she never came near the classroom again.

4.) Had another mom who would come into my class and start rearranging things and tell me how to do my job. After a few weeks of this I had enough so I went to her place of work on the weekend. I started moving the stuff she had put on the shelf and told her she should smile more to the customers.

She got annoyed and said to me "what do you think you are doing!!" I grinned and said "oh just the same thing you do to me on a regular basis"

The mom never touched or said anything about my teaching the rest of the year.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

NaturalBornEd

Wow!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

It's so amazing that this was the most recent topic under popular threads because I was headed to this site to read posts about other teachers that have regular "issues" with parents also! Glad to see it's not just me! Lol

I must say that dealing with parents is definitely my LEAST favorite part of teaching, and at times, I find cooperating with them to be more difficult than dealing with the children! But anyway, this is my most recent "dumb parent" moment:

So, I am currently working as a long term sub for a local high school in my neighborhood, and my issue with the students is always cell phone use in class. I ALWAYS give my students a warning before I require them to turn it in to me, and still many of them refuse to comply so I am forced to take away their phones and turn in a discipline referral for them (which is school policy - not mine)! I can tolerate a lot of things, but cell phone use while I am teaching my heart out is NOT acceptable in my room. Never has been and never will be! So earlier this week, I am teaching a math lesson and an administrator walks into the room. I go about my way teaching until I noticed *GASP* there is a student sitting and texting right in front of the administrator. And what is worse, the student looked up when the door opened, saw who it was, and kept right on texting anyway! So I did what anyone would do, I walked over to him, and requested that he turn it over. He gave it over peacefully, but by the end of the day, I had received word from the school secretary to return his parent's phone call. Upon speaking to his mother, she had the nerve to say that I had no right to take away his cell phone, and by doing so, I embarrassed him in front of his peers! She also stated that because I wasn't his "real teacher" (even though I am a certified educator whose been teaching his class since February of this year), I didn't have the authority to take away his personal property. She demanded to know when I would return it, and when I told her that it had been turned in to the front office administrators and would have to be retrieved from them, she gave me a few choice words, and hung up in my face! All I could think was, "Really?! Is that all she was worried about - embarrassment? What about the fact that he was not learning a thing and wasting the teaching/learning time of myself and his peers!"

Whenever, I encounter parents such as the one described above, I sometimes contemplate leaving the profession to pursue other career goals. I know there are a multitude of other career paths where I would NOT have to deal with angry parents on a regular basis, not have to take my work home with me, be more appreciated for all I do, and still make the same if not more money! *Sigh* If only I didn't love the kids or teaching so much... =)
NaturalBornEd is offline   Reply With Quote

filehead

One to add
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

A few years ago I had a kindergartener who was constantly falling asleep during class tme. I mentioned my concern at the first parent conference. I inquired about the boys bedtime and the father asid, "around 9:00-9:30pm, but most nights when I get up to use the bathroom he is awake watching his tv" I looked at him (trying not to be dumbfounded) and suggested he take the tv out of his 5 year olds bedroom. The father replies " I can do that?"
Gotta love some folks parenting skills
filehead is offline   Reply With Quote

FabuMom

Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I had a parent complain because her son's jeans had a hole in the knee. He got it "crawling on the floor, picking up", so it was my fault!
This is the same parent who complained that I didn't give enough time in the bathroom, so he wasn't wiping...
FabuMom is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

This week, one of my 3rd graders was chewing on a bracelet in class, gagged herself, and threw up. I called mom and her response was, "I can't talk now. I'm in a meeting." Maybe it would have gotten her attention if her child had choked to death?
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

A few years ago I had a student who had a severe behavior disorder. There were extremely violent episodes at least 3 days a week, resulting in thousands of dollars in damage to district property and numerous injuries to faculty members. Mom always had an excuse, such as this was the anniversary of the month of his father's death--the dad had died when the kid was 3 and he's seen him exactly twice in his life--and when she came to pick him up after these outbursts she'd take him to McDonald's "as a treat." At one of our many meetings about his behavior IEP, mom requested that we not call the police unless the injuries were caused by a weapon he brought from home. Fortunately, our district's legal representative (yes, it had gotten to that point, this guy was at the meeting) informed her that state law prevented having that written into his plan.
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rubyslippers

Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Two years ago our class took a field trip to the next town over to see a play. Afterwards, we stopped at a McDonald's on the way home and the kids got Happy Meals. One parent chose to go with us and drove her own car. After the play, she took her son in her own car with her, went to the WRONG McDonald's, and then got upset when they wouldn't give her kid "the Happy Meal I already paid for!"

Then the next day she went to the principal demanding her money back AND,...(wait for it)...... the TOY he didn't get that she "paid for". She didn't get either one, but the P and I had a great laugh over it!
Rubyslippers is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Okay, I vote for the dad complaining about the racetracks in his son's pants, my personal favorite!!

Here's mine: "oh, yes, she does her homework every night. I didn't know you wanted us to send it in." (and yes, her DD was just as spacey!)
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

My 'favorite' is the dad not knowing he could take the TV out of his son's room.
I can't relate to parents like that, but have some at my tiny school.

luvtulearn

privatize????
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Then they wonder why buses, extracurricular activities, insurances, etc. . . .are all contracted out to private companies. It abdicates responsibilities from the district and places it on the business. Can you imagine that mom telling a business that rents out the clarinet that " taxes" should cover the loss of the clarinet ? It's sad.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

?????
Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

After 30 years of teaching I bet we could write a book about these. . . .
Maybe we should write a book FOR parents. . . . " Say This, Not That!!!!!! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
I like the book, " Eat This, Not That."

Just last week I sent a note home asking parents to sign up to help bring snacks from a given list for state testing next week. I have normally provided this. A mom called and asked if she was actually expected to bring snacks for EVERYONE or just her own daughter.
She then asked me , " What in the world are you going to do with a whole watermelon?" Do you have time to cut it up while the students are testing?"
Unfortunately I feel I have no one to blame but myself for not educating these parents HOW to be a parent. HaHa
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote
out

out

field trip
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

First grade was going on a field trip. Student was throwing up at home all night. Father called to say that son was going to be sad to miss the trip, so couldn't he (dad) come along, and walk beside son carrying a bucket in case he needed to throw up?

Let me think about it. Uuummmmmm. No. Your son needs to stay home.
What!!??

timespent

My favorite one this year...
Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have two kids that have been behavior problems from day one.

Parent at pick up: Can you imagine the issues their teacher will have if they are in the same class next year?

Ummmmm, NO, I haven't had them all year in mine!!!!
timespent is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

parents
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I had a parent this year who e-mailed me and in a 6 paragraph e-mail going on and on about how her "extremely gifted" son wasn't be treated fairly and she couldn't understand how he was getting the grades he was getting... at the end of the e-mail she says "I really think we got off on the wrong foot and think we should set-up some dinner or coffee meetings so that we can become friends. We have a lot in common and would make great friends if you would give me the chance."

I politely declined her offer and then her son wasn't at school for the next week. When I inquired as to why. Her response was "well I don't think you understand my son and I am deciding if this is the best school for him." (it was a Charter school)

Really?!?! Sometimes I wonder what these people are thinking.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

MrsM

dumb parent - close to home
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

A few years ago, my stepson was in high school in my district. He lived with his dad and me, and his mom lived a few hours away. I would get the phone calls at school when stepson messed up and got ISS for something stupid. I would always let his dad know what's going on, usually right away.

I got the phone call: 3 more days of ISS for theft from a teacher (took supplies off the teacher's desk as he was leaving) and lying about it (hallway security cam clearly showed him stashing it in his locker). The teacher was someone I knew from church and I was mortified. His dad came down hard on him, took away several privileges. My husband called his ex-wife and told her all the events and consequences. She said, "Oh, come on, why be so hard on him? It's only his first time."
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

bockiee

Dumb Parents
Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

When teaching 1st grade I had a student who would get violent whe he would not get his way (throw chairs, try to stab others with scissors, etc.) When meeting with the parents and explaining that the boy was violent and would be sent home if there were any more violent outbursts the parents kept saying that they never saw any violent behavior at home. It was all the school's fault, etc. A fe wminutes later the dad starts telling a story about when they boy got mad at his brother and sister and was throwing hardbacked books and phone books at them. Another time he tried to stab his grandma with a pencil. Hmm, no violence there!

Student comes into school and says, "I was throwing up all night so my mom sent a box of crackers and clear soda for me to drink". Thanks, Mom!

Parents say "We don't have time to work with our child at home on letters, reading, etc. That is why we are sending him to school. We both work nights and our schedules are picking up because we now both work 3 nights." (Don't over exert yourselves!)
Same parents at another conference say DS can't get his homework done because it takes him too long and he needs to get his computer time in. When I ask about what DS is doing on the computer dad tries to say he is practicing math facts, etc. Child is sitting right there and says, "No, Mom. Dad is teaching me how to play on-line poker." (1st grader)
bockiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Hanginbyathrd

Hanginbyathrd

Dumb parent
Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

2nd grade, Fall conferences

I sent home a note letting the parent know when our conference would be, date and time, which happened to be at 8:00. The next day, the note came back in the student's folder with the time highlighted and "A.M or P.M.?".

Really!?!? The apple does not fall far...

Gr8Profession

How do I vote?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

There are so many good (bad??) stories! I think the McDonald's toy story is great.

Here's one of my favorites. Stepdad had never been to my classroom even for open house, conference, program, etc. He calls and leaves a ranting message about how he pays my salary, he can't believe the district would have such a cruel teacher, and I need to be removed from the classroom. I am dumbfounded because I have no idea what has happened to cause the outburst.

Stepdad, P and I meet in P's office and Stepdad procedes to tell me that his stepson had come home with wet pants (1st grader) and he told stepdad that he had repeatedly asked to go down the hall to use the restroom but that I hadn't let him go. P says to the dad, "Teacher doesn't allow any students to go down the hall to use the restroom. There is a restroom in her classroom and students are allowed to go whenever they need to. There isn't even a bathroom pass needed. They just take care of their own needs."

I wanted to say, "You'd know that if you had ever stepped foot into our classroom and been a positive particpant in your stepson's education." My guess is that the boy fell asleep on the long busride home and wet his pants then. Probably too afraid to tell stepdad.

Who needed to be fired?
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

ELLYTEACHER

Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

My dumb parent story is just that I called a parent twice about her son's excessive talking, and she didn't care or think it was important. I ended up referring this latest bothersome behavior to the guidance counselor rather than wasting time calling her a third time. She obviously doesn't understand how disrupting his talking can be. It's a stream-of-consciousness babble all the time.

Now, I have two good parenting stories. A kid couldn't watch the Voice finale because he went to bed early for the achievement test, and another boy has behaved like an angel for two weeks since I called his mother. She was really upset at him.
ELLYTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Bathroom
Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

The bathroom one put me in mind of one of my own. I had a 15-year-old student two years ago who asked to go to the bathroom practically every day. And they were all bogus requests. You know the type. She'd wait till my lesson was on a roll, then she'd play with her hair, roll her eyes, put her head down, look out the window, attempt to catch another student's eye, etc. Then she'd sigh loudly, raise her hand to interrupt whatever I was saying/doing, and ask in a whiny, long-suffering voice (as though my class was the most painful thing she'd ever had to endure), "Can I go to the bathroom?" Same thing if I asked her to open a book or look at a worksheet. Anything to avoid having to think or work.

Given that she was doing it 15 minutes into first period, I began to say no. I told her she would not be allowed to go every day (she demanded to know why not) and that it was absurd for her to ask 15 minutes into the school day (she didn't seem to understand why this was an issue) and that, except in the case of explosive diarrhea (I don't think I worded it quite that way) it was rude to interrupt my lesson.

Enter the mom. Mom alleges that I am a sadist who wants kids to suffer. Who am I to tell someone when or how often to use the bathroom? She doesn't want her daughter to develop a bladder infection, blah, blah, blah. Admin backs down as usual and insists I let the girl go whenever she says she needs to. If it "becomes a problem," I should refer the matter back to them (yeah, right).

So the student begins treating class like a drop-in center. She skips out at her leisure, frequently disappears for long stretches, and has to be told off for returning with food ("I stopped off at the vending machine. What's the big deal?") When she re-entered the room, she always did so clownishly (dropping something, bumping into desks, commenting audibly that she liked so-and-so's hair today) and loudly to ensure she was the center of attention and to ensure maximum disruption to my lesson. One Friday, she leaves ten minutes in for a "bathroom break" and returns ten minutes before the end with a bag from McDonald's. She doesn't get why this is a problem ("I didn't get breakfast this morning because I was running late. What's the big deal?")

So I dutifully report to the office that the unrestricted bathroom privileges are being abused. Mom comes in with guns blazing. Mom's dismissive about my concerns about her daughter wandering off for food ("So? She can't learn if she's hungry. If she comes in quietly, what's the problem?") I note that she rarely comes in quietly and usually makes noise to disrupt my lesson, and mom replies...

wait for it...

"If someone coming back from the bathroom is more interesting than your lesson, what does that say about your teaching?"

At that point, I put my hand in my pants pocket and gave mom the finger without her seeing it.

Gwen

Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Gotta love Rock Hound's...really?

Over the years, many:

I had a mom who would show up in my classroom to monitor me for perfect son (1st grade) and then would go report everything she saw to the principal-transitions, did this, didn't do that, and so on. The same mom emailed me about someone "telling her" that I was talking to another parent. She wanted to know what I said (ummm...hi in passing) and wanted to know if I was talking about her and her son. She had 2 lawsuits against that person. Yeah.

I've had a list given to me by a student's parent about what decorations I could and could not put up in the classroom.

I made a 3rd grader redo a report that was totally printed off the internet as a complete research report on an animal. The printoff had scientific words in it that I could barely read. So I asked her to read it to me. She had no idea and said her dad printed it for her to bring.

Would I like an old anatomy college text for studying the body systems in the lower elementary classroom? No, for so many reasons, no.

My 5th grader had no intention of saying that to his friend. He didn't know it would hurt his feelings. He just wants to be friends and play.

One teacher I knew had a child that wanted to celebrate their birthday. Mom sent a bag with a box of cake mix and tub of frosting in it.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

Quote:
One teacher I knew had a child that wanted to celebrate their birthday. Mom sent a bag with a box of cake mix and tub of frosting in it.

Well, that one takes the cake!

saralara

Old 05-26-2012, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

At yesterday's retention meeting:

After explaining at length why she feels her child should be allowed to hit back (completely unsolicited, while we were talking about reading) and how she sides with her boy all the time, a student's aunt turned to me and was railing about how she asked him if he tells his teacher when he needs help and he says "yeah but sometimes she says wait or no she won't help me." I calmly explained that he needs a lot of help and I work with him often during the school day, but sometimes I don't help him because he needs to learn to work independently or because I am engaged with helping another student at that moment.

Then she said, "Well I asked XXX is he feels he is being taught the way that he wants to be taught and he said only sometimes. I don't think that's fair."

Personally I would like to be taught through video games or Vulcan mind meld. Ain't happening though. I'm so looking forward to another year.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote

DragonladyAz

What???
Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

A few years ago I received a new student who came from the South East. He and his mother entered the room and as always I tried to welcome them. Students kept working until mom said to me "we ain't never seen colors before." Students stop, look and lean in to hear more. Mom asks "do they speak English?"
A few weeks later after school another teacher and I were planning when angry mom charges in my room and asks "are those spelling words written in Spanish?" Teacher and I look up at my word wall. I ask "especially?" Mom states that she can't help him because she can't pronounce those words. She says, "your state is way higher than ours." I explain, "we're 49th in the Nation, what are you 50th?"
DragonladyAz is offline   Reply With Quote
SubMan

SubMan

I have two
Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I have 2 parents I would like to nominate.

1. Takes child off of her ADHD medication without doctor's input/direction/ or guidance "because she was doing so well on it." Lack of medication causes child to crawl on the floor while rubbing head on floor and state "I'm a bull dozer!" (there was other weird behaviours as well)

2. Parent of "Tinkle Bell" child claims to need to go to the restroom frequently, when she does she locks the doors and crawls out under the doors. Then when she has to go she can't make it on time. Has child transfered from room to room when teachers bring this to the attention of parent. (child was in three different classrooms that year)

LindaM

Oh dear!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I love the "bulldozer"!! I tell all my friends that the best place to teach would be in an orphanage...NO PARENTS!
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

txmagistra

My favorites:
Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

Before our first party a parent was looking at our sign up sheet on the door after school. Notes the juice boxes. She says, "They shouldn't drink juice boxes. They are bad for their teeth!" Then she scans the list again. "WHat? No cupcakes? No one is bringing cupcakes?" Nope. Bad for the teeth.

We finished school on Friday and were in in-service today. The secretary told me that a parent of one of my students called and asked if there was school this week.

After I made a child re-do a copied report from the internet, mom writes me a note: "but the directions said it had to be in her own hand writing, not in her own words!"

We have a district art festival each year. Students do art projects that are judged at the schools and then if they win at school they go on to district. Parent teacher conferences were a few days after the winners had been picked from the school. I asked one mom if she had seen her daughter's ribbon and knew her daughter had one and would be going on to district. "No, I didn't know that!" I replied, "Yes, she is very artistic. Would you like to see her project?" Mom said yes, so I got it down and showed her. Her response? "Oh that is so cute! I love it! Wait...who made this?"

btw, the last three are from the SAME PARENT!!!
txmagistra is offline   Reply With Quote

School_Marm

Crazy parent
Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

Over the years I've had a ton of crazy parents. Here are a few of my "favorites".

The father of a Kindergarten student who cussed me out when the secretary called him about his daughter's abscences after Kindergarten graduation. The dad reasoned when his his older daughter graduated from high school, she didn't have to go back to school.

A mother who moved from a few states away got a new phone number during the course of the school year. She emailed it to me and asked that I share it with the office staff. She threatened to sue if we did not use that phone number and something happened to her daughter. The only problem was in the email she listed 2 different phone numbers. Since we'd had issues with this mama all year I asked the principal how to address this and she said to email her back and ask her which number was the correct number. She replied back and asked us if we had taken our meds today because there was only 1 number listed. She added the number again and since she had been replying to messages it showed 3 different numbers. I was relieved when the child transferred schools by December. That would have been a LONG year!
School_Marm is offline   Reply With Quote

ajester2

Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

Most of my dumb parent stories are all the same. Kid doesn't get his/her way, makes up a lie to parent, parent defends kid til it's stupid obvious the kid is lying. Some still refuse to accept that their child was wrong. I teach 7th grade, and it's amazing how many big, muscled up (yea even 7th grade) football guys are mamas boys. They even threaten teachers "I'm gona tell my mama" type stuff. It's always very entertaining.
ajester2 is offline   Reply With Quote

LakeTeacher

Seriously????!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

We had Student-Led Conferences in the spring and one parent had not made any contact about setting up an appointment despite several notes, newsletters and me speaking with the child about talking to her mom. (In our school the parents make appointments through the school secretaries.) So....I called the parent about an appointment. Her response? Oh - I didn't know there were conferences. But, even better than that she said she wanted to set up a 3:30 appointment but then retracted it saying she didn't want to come right after school to which I responded - actually it is an early release day and school is out at 12:00. Her response again? Oh - I didn't know that. I'm glad I called. Would there have been anyone home when the kiddo got off the bus that day? SCARY!
LakeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote