Help

The VENT

Being Dumped on Each Year by the principal

>

Miss V. Swamp

Being Dumped on Each Year by the principal
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I couldn't sleep.........My students come Monday.....I was really looking forword to this year.....Each year another teacher and I get the students who are the challenges....One teacher every year gets the high students...If they are high and have behavior problems she does not get them...and a fairly new teacher gets a class with no known behavior problems.....This other teacher and I get the off the wall kids.....I get the low, low kids and I am expected to perform miracles...........Of course I have been given the title Miracle Worker but I am so tired of being the tired, worn out teacher at the end of the day.....At the end of last year, I told my P that I would I really did not want the low, low challenging students.......I wanted the low students not the high students, but some average in with the mix......Well, I did get some high students....Behavior problems and I got low.....behavior problems....Anyway, the kindergarten teachers saw my roll and said they had separated the students that were the excessive bad talkers and our P had put all of them in my class...along with more bad behaviors......I heard from another teacher the kindergarten teachers saying this class would drive me insane this year.......My principal has her favorites and the same teachers get the good little students and the other teachers get the impossible, drive you crazy.........She would say you are one of my excellent teachers I know you can do the job that is why I give you these students.......The teacher who gets the top students each year, makes them copy from the board the whole day......If they have not completed a certain amount of work by lunch they sit in the classroom while we are at lunch and continue copying or has to copy from the teacher's copy and then gets to eat lunch. Isn't this against the law? Wouldn't I be put under the jailhouse if I even thought of doing this? I just don't see how she gets away with this.....She is a teacher who is teaching the same way she taught 50 years ago........

I did not mean to vent so long, but I am so upset....I believe in being fair... I just have a difficult time with understanding why my principal does this to me every year......I am there on the weekends......stay late until at least 5 and as late as 7 each night.....There in the summer several days.......Keep up with the latest......Students love my classroom.....Please advise me.

Thank you!

Miss V. Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote

ventinginproc

Never Fair
Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I will pray for you. You are wonderful and appreciated. I hope the vent helped you.
ventinginproc is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-30-2010, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am that same teacher in my grade level at my school. Last year was my first year being that teacher and I was willing to do it and work through it. But I got one of the worst types of these classes and I had one breakdown and went home at the end of each day/waking up the next morning not wanting to come back to work. I even started to think to myself, what will I do when I want to quit?

I made my principal aware of this and she just told me that I am the best at working with these students and that she thinks I am the only one who could get something out of them.

Believe you me, I plan on telling her this year that I refuse to teach a class of these kids again because of how draining it is on me. I need a break and I'm pretty sure someone else can teach them and do a fine job of it. I don't mind teaching lower level kids, but a whole group of them?! NO way!!! I can't take it for another year. So, if she tells me again that I am the only one who can do it, I plan on telling her that I am leaving and transferring to another school. If she doesn't care, which could very well happen, I will leave, for sure.

I feel your pain and I hate that our principals aren't willing to budge more! I understand that they think we are the best for the job, but when it is beginning to affect us mentally, they need to be way more understanding.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

sonjateacher

Overloaded
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this year after year. That is completely absurd. I really hope that your P comes to her senses and realizes that not only is she penalizing you as the teacher, but she's not looking out for the students' best interest. Surely the behavior students would benefit from having some role models in their class, instead of being surrounded by other chronic misbehaving children.

I wish you all the best, and I wish that there was something I could do to help!
sonjateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Star Light

Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I understand completely! Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you. I always seem to get the low behavioral problems too. I think the kids who struggle with behavior issues should be spread out because it is so draining. I don't mind having all of the low kids as long as the don't expect my scores to look like the teacher that has all of the top kids. That's probably my biggest gripe.

Just know that you are not alone.

Star Light is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss V. Swamp

Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your kind words and understanding really helps.......I did talk to our new assistant principal, who used to be a principal.....and informed him that I needed his support and would he accompany me on home visits......I talked with my P after school and let her know about the many needy students I have........She assured me they probably had grown up over the summer...............

Friday some of the parents and children came by for Sneak a Peak and to drop off supplies......sure enough as I met the students, it was obvious what kind of year it was going to be.....As I was talking to one very hyper child and listening to her mother saying "some people have commented how much energy my child has.......she's wound up all day long......but I just think that's normal......In walks a new mother minus her daughter.....a new student added to my list........The new mother was telling, me as I was watching this wound-up child with the boundless energy gleefully making her way rapidly around my room accompanied with rapid, loud talking.........the new mother was saying.."my daughter can't sit still.....she has to get up and move around the room and her eyes are constantly moving(she demonstrates)She just can't stay focused......She just can't be still.....and she tells me...."Mother, I try to learn and listen but I can't remember".....The mother verified her daughter had to have skills repeated over and over to no avail.......promised to bring me the stack of papers the other schools had on the child.......I was listening, watching and thinking.....I need to buy another bottle of my Ultramax vitamins and triple my dose of Lexapro........Monday is D-DAY! Thank y'all for being there......I really am going to need the support!
Miss V. Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

I had blood in my room last year during sneak
Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

peak. That should have been a clue! It was a long year! Hang in there. We are here for you!
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

saralara

Old 08-07-2010, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It looks like it is going to be that sort of a year for me as well. (In all fairness, we only have one class on grade level in my tiny school, so I can't blame that on admin.)

This year I have three little boys who are significantly off the charts. One of them approached me last year (a teacher and a total stranger) and told me that I needed to sit correctly in my chair. Ummm...okay. The K teacher didn't even register on that one because she was so busy discussing student B, whom she believes has serious social adjustment issues (and has "crazy eyes", the kind that seem to be focused on nothing and everything simultaneously). I am also retaining student C, who spent most of last year within arms reach of me because of a deadly combo of family crisis (mom's very ill), learning problems, and ADHD.

I'm going with, "Some years are like that." I bet I'll whine a bit, because that is my way, but by the end of the year, I'll love them because of all we've been through.
saralara is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

not easy
Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All I can say is that you need to dig into your inner core of spirituality and come to the conclusion that it would be a higher power (God, not your principal) who gave you those kids.

Easier said than done, but that is the only sane way. The teachers at my grade level who handle all the kids well: low functioning, behavior issues, high ones are all the same teachers. What does that say about the other half who get no challenges? When the principal says "I gave you Johnny because you are the only one who I have confidence in with Johnny's issues" that implies that teacher x can't handle Johnny. Mr. Principal, what are you doing to help teacher x gain the skills to handle the Johnnys of the future?

It sure is wearing over time, but good teachers are not that common, really!
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm that teacher too.. but our principal doesn't make the class lists, the teachers do. One teacher gets the low readers, and I get the most challenging behavior kid from each kinder teacher....we have 6 sessions of kinders, so I get 6 behavior kids....while it's an honor to be thought of highly by your peers, it also leads to one heckova stressed out me.

I finally went to the teachers and asked if they could go easy on me this year....we'll see....the PE and music teachers looked at my list and said that except for one or two, I have a good class..... fingers crossed

lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote