Help

ARCHIVE

Poetry center

>

impln3

Poetry center
Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am considering a poetry center for my classroom. Any ideas that have worked for you?

impln3 is offline   Reply With Quote

ealtensee

Poetry Center
Old 08-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Poetry is awesome! I use a poem written on chart paper and we pick out word spellings or sounds from it. Basically, the students write the poem and highlight the sounds and/or spellings within the poem. They also get to share their poems following centers, which reinforces the decoding process.

Also, check out Practical Poetry by Sara Holbrook. Its cross-curricular, in nature. I wrote to the author, who has a marvelous sense of humor. It's fairly simple to read in a night or two and you can implement the writing (and, more importantly, enjoying) of poetry. There are probably a lot of cool ideas within it that are modifiable following a mini-lesson for centers. Good luck!
ealtensee is offline   Reply With Quote

blueyz24

love em!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did poetry centers with my ESE kids last year and they Loved them! I just took a poem and wrote it out on sentence strips. The kids had to read the poem and put the strips in order. Then they wrote the peom on one side of a paper and drew on the back what they saw or felt when they read the peom. My kids were comfortable with it because there were no right or wrong answers.
blueyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote