The VENT

Paid maternity leave?

>

sbinkley

sbinkley

Paid maternity leave?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out that the new contract in our district states that you must have 15 sick days accumulated before you can take off for maternity leave without being docked. After a miscarriage last year, and some health problems with my daughter this year, I don't have anywhere near that! This means that I will be docked for ten days of my maternity leave! They calculate that not by the days of the whole year (even though my pay is spread out over the whole year), but by the 183 (184?) days of the school year. This means I will lose about 3,000 dollars that I didn't count on... My union president says that many districts do not have paid maternity leave. I'm curious about how true that statement is... Anyone have any insight?

marguerite2

marguerite2

contract
Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our contract states that we get leave for the number of days determined by the doctor and we get paid for the amount of days we have accumulated in sick leave. If you get 6 weeks of leave from the doctor and only have 4 days sick leave you get four days of sick pay.

In most places the contract says that you are paid X amount of dollars for a school year of XYZ length. Days without pay are calculated by dividing the dollar amount by the length of days. How you receive your pay (whether it is spread out or not) does not matter.

Margaret916

I know this doesn't answer your question..but
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our district there was a problem that they were doing the dividing not by the number of days -- but by the month.

So for example, let's say in October you had to be out -- and you had to miss your days. They would divide your pay by 10 for the 10 months -- then that month by the number of days we work to get your daily rate for that month. Then dock you the pay for how many days you were out. Now that's fine in october when you have all your days in school ...

But in June and December when that happens... you get docked almost twice as much per day you're out. So say in June... you divide your yearly salary by 10...then by the number of days and get your daily rate for June. Doh! It's a lot higher because we work a lot fewer days! Imagine!

Our union fought that to get us divided by the number of days in our contract (195) so we would be more equally docked if we had to be docked in the first place. THe days in June aren't worth more than those in March and October!
Margaret916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

not paid...
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

unless you use sick days. If you choose not to use sick days you do not get paid. When I had my son, I used all my sick days (it was the end of the year and I would get 10 in the Fall)...they prorated my pay to reflect the days I was off and I still got a paycheck...just a lot less for the duration of my leave and the summer!

Paid maternity leave would be great...but I doubt it would fly in too many schools...finances are always a struggle!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

maternity leave
Old 01-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We just get paid what we have built up in sick leave.
If you have 30 days you will get paid the entire time, if you have 5 days you will be docked 25.

javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Maternity leave= Sick Time
Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have over a year's worth of leave left. iF I took the year off I would get paid! If you do not have the days you need our contract forwards you 15 extra days which you must pay back.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 01-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We just get paid for our sick days. Then we are docked our daily pay. I lost around 2,000 when I had my baby.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

DogLover

nothing
Old 01-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

we get nothing. I only have 10 days of leave and am out on bedrest now 8 weeks early. If we are out more than 3 days in a row sick then we are put on 12 weeks FMLA paid or unpaid. Once the 12 weeks are up - oh well..............I will probably either have to go back to work really early for only 3 weeks left in the year - or take a aleave of absence and lose my health benefits (have to pay out of pocket and resign up for the next school year and wouldn't go into effect again until OCtober) UGH!

So - if you get anything - be thankful!
DogLover is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 01-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We can use accumulated sick days. I recommend you get short-term disability insurance. If you are already pregnant, then it might be too late though.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

mlle.b

Old 01-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am shocked that everyone doesn't have paid maternity leaves! Here in Canada, we get paid mat leaves. I can't imagine having it any other way!

mlle.b is offline   Reply With Quote

applejuggler

Old 01-26-2007, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had to use my sick days too if I wanted to be paid. Luckily I took off only the last 6 weeks of school and so I used only half of my accumulated sick days. It sucks but is understandable with school finance situations across America. Many American women don't even have the luxury of paid sick days so I am very thankful. Canadians you are so lucky!!!
applejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

leave
Old 01-26-2007, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We are VERY lucky in Canada!!!!

I am on maternity leave right now and will be until September. During this time I get paid about 60% of my wage. When I was pregnant I had some bleeding so I ended up working halftime and then taking a month off before baby arrived. I was paid my full wages for that time.

Our school board also "tops" up our pay (for 3 months after baby arrives), so we still get full wages for that time.

My husbabnd and I were offered jobs in the US 6 years ago. My husband and I turned down the offers because of the maternity leave there! Honestly that was the ONLY reason!

I LOVE having the year off with my baby!

TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

mrshall

Nj
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We use our sick days and can use up to 40 days, after that no pay. If you have disability insurance you get whatever your policy gives you. We have to purchase our own diability insurance.
We do have a sick bank. Each teacher contributes one sick/personal day each year. A bank is established. If you are out with a long term illness/disability, you get a doctor note and see the board doctor and you can draw from the sick bank. this was established because we never had disabltliy insurance. Teachers and board members complained about people drawing due to maternity and now our new contract says no maternity out of our sick bank. SInce the new contract, your illness has to be catastrophic as according to Webster. Whatever that means. We have interrpeted that as a life threatning illness.
mrshall is offline   Reply With Quote

rubywater

Apparently the US is only
Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

one of five countries without paid maternity leave along with Lesotho, Liberia, Swaziland and Papua New Guinea.
rubywater is offline   Reply With Quote

StephR

Old 02-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We can use sick days only. Ruby is right, the US does not have a paid maternity leave policy. If you have your sick days banked up, you can use them to get paid during your time off. If not, you do not get paid.
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote
sarahbaby

sarahbaby

high school teacher
Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We have a sick bank that we are able to draw from to cover the 6 weeks paid time off for maternity, but I want to know if anyone has ever gotten your doctor to extend your leave so that you get paid?
Sarahbaby

Sarahbaby

high school teacher
Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have a good maternity leave program...
We have a sick bank for the teachers that you can draw from for any medical leave, including maternity leave (every teacher who wished to have access to this bank must donate a day every year). Until you are tenured, you get 12 sick bank days for every year you have been in the district (we get 12 sick days every year). So, I have been in my current district for 6 years. So, I have access to 72 sick bank days. BUT, we only get 6 weeks (or 8 for c-section) for maternity. So, I cannot use all 72 days, unless my doctor writes a letter requiring more time off. Does this make sense? It is really wonderful, I must admit. BUT, I do think that 6 weeks in not enough!! I really wish I could get a few extra weeks!!
Talk to your union...you really should have a program that your teachers and school board can agree on!
Teach_Music

Teach_Music

How do they handle substitutes?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am very curious about maternity leave as well, and right about now I'm wishing we lived in Canada.

How does Canada and other countries with socialized health care handle the long term substitutes? It seems like there would be this huge market of maternity-subs who do just that for a living? I wonder if it ever gets desperate. I am already SUPER picky about who teaches my classes when I'm gone.

Since my baby is due in July, I think I will have to take a summer job, even though I elected to get a paycheck all summer from my district. That way it will make up for my non-paid maternity leave (gr!). Summer jobs- you think you are done with them after college.

Mrs. R

Old 11-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
I have over a year's worth of leave left. iF I took the year off I would get paid!
That's great! In my district, those on maternity leave can only take up to 40 days off after childbirth as paid sick days. They need a doctor's note. They can't take more than 40 paid days no matter how many more sick days they've accumulated. If they have fewer than 40 sick days accumulated, they can still take time off but will only get paid for the number of sick days they have. After 40 days, everyone can take the rest of FMLA which is unpaid and their health insurance will be covered by the district during that time. After that, they can take an unpaid leave, but will need to pay COBRA for their insurance or go on their DH's plan.

There was a music teacher at my school several years ago who was hired just as school was getting ready to start. She had never taught in a classroom before (always done private lessons). She had this sudden interest in teaching in the public schools. Well, it turns out she was pregnant and due in March. It was obvious that she didn't particularly enjoy working with kids. Apparently, she thought she'd get a nice long paid maternity leave when she had her baby. She should have done more research because we only get 15 sick days per year. As a new teacher, she started the year with 15 sick days. She had to use some earlier in the year because she was sick and ended up with very little paid time after she had the baby.

I'm on maternity leave now, but it's actually adoption leave. In my district it's treated the same as maternity leave. I used up my 40 paid sick days as of yesterday so no more pay for me. I'm taking off unpaid until early January. In most districts, those who adopt get no paid time off no matter how many sick days they've accumulated.

Quote:
Since my baby is due in July, I think I will have to take a summer job, even though I elected to get a paycheck all summer from my district. That way it will make up for my non-paid maternity leave (gr!).
Will you not get a paycheck all summer? Isn't your summer paycheck just your salary for the school year spread over more pay periods? The district puts aside some money from each check so they can pay you during the summer. You agree to take a little less each week during the year to ensure that you have money for the summer. Essentially, they're doing the saving for you. It's money already owed to you. How can you not get paid just because you have a baby then?

In my district those with summer babies don't get paid because none of us get paid during the summer. However, they still get their lump sum check in June. My district does lump sum in June instead of paychecks throughout the summer. The bonus is that you don't have to use your sick days.
Mrs. R is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'm a Canadian currently taking my second maternity leave. When you are on maternity leave you can collect employment insurance, a percentage of your salary up to a maximum. A dad can take some of that time as parental leave, if he chooses. My school board tops up my salary to 90% for the first six weeks of leave. I am not taking home anywhere near the amount I would at work, but along with my DH's income, we are getting by alright. When I read about American teacher's maternity leaves, I realize that we are very, very fortunate.

Quote:
How does Canada and other countries with socialized health care handle the long term substitutes? It seems like there would be this huge market of maternity-subs who do just that for a living?
The lady who is subbing for me this year has only done long-term positions, mostly mat. leaves, since she started her career. It is still not easy though - there is a huge surplus of qualified subs, and she is only in my position now because she knows the principal.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Jenwquestion

Jenwquestion

Uncertain
Old 06-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

If I have a baby in February and take my 6 weeks paid leave until mid April and then decide to saty out the rest of the year I know I wont get paid past my 6 weeks but my questions is will I still get my big June paycheck( the 5 paychecks at once for the summer)?