Help

BusyBoard

retaining a SPED student

>

pinacolada

retaining a SPED student
Old 12-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Background: My husband, son, and I moved temporarily to NJ in May 2018 and will be returning back to CA in June 2019.

My son is currently attedning an SDC preschool program (he has autism) at a public school district in NJ. He will be 5 in June 2019 and is supposed to start kindergarten in Aug. 2019. That having been said, I want to retain him and have him do an extra year of pre-k for reasons that have nothing to do with academics ( just maturity, independence, school readiness skills, etc.). Is it difficult to retain an SPED child? I've heard it is and was wondering if anyone has any thoughs and or experience with it.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I rarely agree with retaining
Old 12-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

BUT, in this particular instance, I approve. If it has to happen, this is the ideal scenario-meaning at his age, and with it being a new school with new circumstances.

Best of luck to both of you.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-15-2018, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is your child getting services through Child Find? If so, retaining will end those services.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 12-15-2018, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my district, itís impossible. You cannot retain a SPED student.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my area it would be extremely difficult, but possible if you really fight for it. It's something to do with funding- I'm not a preschool teacher, so I could be saying this wrong but I think they don't get funding for the student if they're supposed to be in K but stay in preschool.

I did have one family with twins who met the age cut off by ONE day. They were more savvy with dealing with the school system and they somehow managed to get their kids retained in preschool. I know my sped director has said things like, "Bottom line it's the parent's choice," but you can bet no one in preschool is apprising parents of that right to choose.

Every year about half of my sped caseload in K are super young kids and it's so difficult. That system makes no sense to me. So we know they have a Developmental Delay, and we've also decided it makes sense for them to be the youngest in their class on top of that?

We are also told to consider the fact that the child would lose a year of eligibility on the other end- like the transition services they'd qualify for up to age 21. The students I work with don't have significant enough disabilities to qualify for that anyway. I'm not sure if that's something your son would qualify for (I'm not sure of the ins and outs of "special day class" since that's not a term we use here), so that could be something for you to consider.

If you know where you'll be living next year in CA, I might call the district and ask now about what you need to do in order for your son to enroll in pre-k instead of Kindergarten and see what they say.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

go with your gut
Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
If you know where you'll be living next year in CA, I might call the district and ask now about what you need to do in order for your son to enroll in pre-k instead of Kindergarten and see what they say.
I agree, and I think it will work. Not only does CA not actually require school until age six (so you could just do private preschool) they also have a two-year "transitional kindergarten" option in their public schools:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/em/kinderinfo.asp
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

in my district
Old 12-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

in WA state, this wouldn't even be an issue. Parents (with special ed. team input) make the decision to have their kids attend preschool an extra year all the time for the types of reasons you state.

Good luck. I can't imagine it being a huge deal.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 12-16-2018, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my district, a student will lose their services if they are retained and not sent to K. Services, while in the same location are provided by different entities. Birth - 5 is given through the government and K-12 is provided by the district. So, basically the problem is the child ages out from Birth - 5. The child may be able to stay as a "regular" student in the Pre-K, but no services will be provided.

readandweep

Retain in sped?
Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Would he qualify for transitional K in California or do you have to have a birth date closer to the cut off? Does California have a state cut off or is it up to the district?

Was the purpose of your son's special day class to ready him regular-ed K or are his teachers going to recommend he stay in the special day class going into K?

If you are unsure of these answers, I would suggest you call for an IEP meeting or have an honest sit-down with this team before you move. I would also take a look at your current district and see if most students "try" K. Look where students who were in your son's current program are in intermediate or middle school.

If staying in a special day class is the recommendation, yes, I would very much worry about losing the extra years when he is 20-21.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

pinacolada

Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Eligibility for TK is according to birthdate

pinacolada

Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No, just through the district

Sbkangas5

Old 12-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm in CA and I'm pretty sure you would lose services if you decided to keep him out for an extra year. Which, if that's okay with you, I think you would be able to pick back up once you enroll in K the following year. We never retain sped kids, but starting late is a little different scenario.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote