Help

BusyBoard

High readers

>

Chimneygrl

High readers
Old 12-25-2018, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have two students that are reading around a 4th grade level. During RTI they go to another teacher for a reading group format. Later in the day we have more reading groups in the classroom. I still want to meet with they twice a week, but I really donít know what to do because they are in their reading group everyday. When we are in centers they are reading to self and then listing to books on iPads. I need them to do something. Any thoughts? I teach first grade.

Chimneygrl is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

High readers
Old 12-26-2018, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would work on deeper comprehension and vocabulary particular to what book(s) they are reading.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could have them work independently on a reading response journal. We have a first grade teacher that works with our above level readers and she has structured hers so that it is a sheet with 4 boxes and each box has a label: my prediction, a question I have, word or detail I don't understand, summary. Then at the bottom, the student writes their opinion about the book with a supporting reason. Most of the time, students do this individually, but sometimes she has students read the same book and work together like a literature circle. In that case, students write their individual responses on sticky notes and then the group writer puts them on the response log together.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Reading for meaning?
Old 12-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Even though these students are high readers, are they reading deeply for meaning? Can the RTI teacher or someone help you determine where there may be a lag in their reading skills? I have come across students who read words well, but can't comprehend at the same level and vice-versa where they read slowly but their comprehension is out of this world!

Maybe have the students create interactive book talks they can share with other classes when they are done with a book.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Read and Discuss
Old 12-27-2018, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have them read and then make predictions. Then read more and see if their predictions are correct. If you practice this with each book from time to time they will become better at predicting.

Discuss character traits. Explain difference between physical traits and personality traits. Keep a running list of a a good character. Also if they say a chapter is nice ask them what the charter did to show they were nice. Then try to find a better word than nice. Move them toward better descriptive words that are specific rater than general.

Also talk about how the character changes from the beginning of the story to the end of the story. Discuss how they are different. Then ask why the author would do that.

Discuss and identify conflict in the story. Discuss what the story would be like if there is no conflict. Maybe have them rewrite a story they read but leave out the conflict. They could work on that together. What do they think about this story with no conflict. Is it as satisfying?

Discuss the ending. Is it satisfying? If you could change the ending what would you have happen? Just discuss or have them write. They could work together to write a different ending.

Talk about setting. Remember to discuss time as well as place with them. Discuss what would change in the story if the place changed or if the time changed.

These discussions will hale them to explore and understand literature better.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote