Help

BusyBoard

Childrens biographies about American Immigrants

>

Kinderkr4zy

Childrens biographies about American Immigrants
Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all, I am looking for suggestions for biographies about immigrants that my kids can read for the "Immigrants Who Influenced Our Region" reports. We hit the ground running with those in about 2 weeks. I have many but I most are about European immigrants and I am trying to get more about people who represent nationalities in my class. I currently have:

Celia Cruz
Elijah McCoy
Albert Einstien
Nikola Tesla
Alexander Graham Bell
John Muir
I.M. Pei
Alexander Hamilton
Barrack Obama (Not technically an immigrant I know, but he grew up with an immigrant like experience since he lived in Asia for most of his childhood before moved to mainland U.S.)

Its challenging to find children's biographies that give enough good information (ie not picture books) but are also at an appropriate reading level.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 12-30-2018, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please, do not include President Obama in a unit on American immigrants! He wasn't, and to make him one for your purposes is as much a lie as the crazed birthers' lie that Obama wasn't born in the US, specifically in Hawaii! Don't confuse your students and don't distort the facts.

Obama's mother married a man from Indonesia, and she took young Barack back to his step-father's country where he lived from the time he was 6 to 10-not most of his childhood. Many Americans live for several years outside the country. That doesn't make them immigrants!

Stick to the truth, especially in the classroom. Lies have become daily events from those in the highest public office. Teach your students the facts and don't twist them, even to serve what you see as a noble purpose, strengthening a unit on the contributions of immigrants to the United States.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Book
Old 12-30-2018, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First Generation: 36 Trailblazing Immigrants and Refugees Who Make America Great

"Meet leaders who immigrated to America. Some escaped war, others fled poverty, and other were seeking opportunities. These immigrants and refugees shape our country and our world in countless ways."

Ages 8-12, $18.99, Little Brown Books for Young Readers, Ibyr.com (Cheaper at Amazon.)

Free podcast with the authors. Sandra Neil Wallace was an ESPN sportscaster, and Rich Wallace was an editor at a children's magazine.

I found this info in a magazine called Learning: Resources for Successful Teaching.

Kahlil Gibran (Poetry)
Mother Jones (Labor Leader)
Yo-Yo Ma (Music)
Martina Navratilova (Tennis)
Nikola Tesla (Alternate Current Electricity)
Madeleine Albright (Secretary of State)
Dikembe Mutombo (basketball player)
Jorge Ramos (journalist)

Last edited by ConnieWI; 12-30-2018 at 06:23 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-30-2018, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

https://www.infoplease.com/us/immigr...-us-immigrants

Maybe this list will help you.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If your kids have access to a computer, you could use the kid friendly search engine, Kidrex.org. It’s a Google search engine for kids. Another website I use for biographies is ducksters.com.

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-31-2018, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Henry Kissenger
Roberto Clemente

Agree with Cassyree. Please leave President Obama off the list. He is not an immigrant.
Spending a few years outside the country does not give you an immigrant experience. Neither John McCain (born in Panama) or Ted Cruz (born in Canada) are immigrants either.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you looked at the ďWho WasĒ series? With 150 titles in the series there are bound to be some you can use. I know Alexander Hamilton is one of the subjects.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-01-2019, 01:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

REad2day-I do have the some from the who was series, but most are above a third grade independent reading level, or even their instructional reading level.

And I guess I can leave Obama off the list, I had allowed him last year since I felt he was worth learning about and this is our only opportunity to read a biography for the year so I pushed the limit of what I could consider. It would put us to 4 student to a book though since I dont have enough books to go around and I have to buy books out of my own pockets...which are not deep.

I could add the book listed above but I'd only be able to buy one since its kinda pricey. I guess that's the second hard part about doing this project-I dont a have enough resources and I can only afford to buy 1- new books each year. We are not a 1-to-1 technology school so assigning kids to only online sources means that they wont have much time to read and research (we are 3/4 student to each device) and then it wouldn't be fair to grade them next to someone who had a book and plenty of time to read it.

Cassyree

Old 01-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Iím sorry you are short on resources for a unit you want to teach. Weíve all been there.

That is no excuse for your justification of including Obama in a unit on immigrants. Heís not, and youíve already sent out last yearís class with that memory and false connection. Abraham Lincoln is worth reading about too, but you donít include him on a unit on immigranrts just because you have multiple copies of his biography, canít afford more books, and itís your only chance to teach biography!

Iím sure many will think Iím being harsh, but I think miseducation is the worst thing a teacher can do. You still sound tentative about removing Obama from your list.

Donít manipulate facts for your own purposes. The truth is much more important than your pride in your construction of a teaching unit on immigrants using limited resources.

If my child had been in your last yearís class, you and I and your principal would have had some very serious discussions about the content of this unit.

cabernet

Old 01-01-2019, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If you have a public library nearby, they may be able to help. Many smaller libraries group together to form a consortium so you have access to more books.

If your students donít have the access to the websites suggested, perhaps you could print the material for them to read.

Good luck with your project.

cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 01-01-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

National Geographic Kids has good, relatively short, biographies that are affordable. I just put one example below but there are a lot of options.

I have a lot of guided reading sets of these books as scholastic often offers them for $3 or less each.

Albert Einstein: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nat...781426325366#/

As an aside, Alexander Graham Bell moved to Canada but did not ever live in or immigrate to the U.S. Do you do other Americans who didn’t come to the U.S.?
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 01-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Since I've caused all the controversy-what I just read says that Bell's family emigrated from Scotland to Canada, but that he later lived in the United States and became a naturalized US citizen in 1882.

http://immigrationtounitedstates.org...aham-bell.html

Lilbitkm

Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had just looked at where he immigrated to, Canada, not other places he also lived. The source I had looked at said American citizen, not US citizen.

My mistake, sorry!
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
The source I had looked at said American citizen, not US citizen.
While America is the continent and North America includes multiple countries, when people say 'American' 99.99% of the time they mean citizen of the U.S.

Generally, people who are citizens of Canada are referred to as Canadians, citizens of Mexico are Mexicans, and citizens of the United States of America most often call themselves Americans.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-02-2019, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Cassyree-I kind of feel like you are flaming me and throwing a lot of shade. Perhaps that's because I didn't give you the full info which I generally dont bother to give for the sake of brevity. Maybe consider that before condeming people so harshly and making people feel uncomfortable posting and asking for help at all.

Last year when I didnt the project I allowed students to pick immigrants and children whose parents were not born in the U.S. I did this to open up the options since I had very few books and our school library had only 2 book as well and I no longer check out library books from the public library since I have had more then one student loose of ruin a library book that I was stuck paying for.

However this year I was hoping to get back to true immigrants, since that is the heart of the project as it relates to the curriculum and our social studies standard. I have no problem taking a book out of circulation that I have, however I do lament on how hard this project will be for my students and it is required as part of our curriculum even though we lack the supplies to do it correctly.

Please think and consider that not all details are given and perhaps figuratively stone people less publicly through private message so as to not make people feel uncomfortable coming to other teachers for help and suggestions. I'm out