Help

BusyBoard

Dialogue Practice with Comic Strips

>

rosieteaches

Dialogue Practice with Comic Strips
Old 12-31-2018, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a fourth grade teacher hoping to introduce writing dialogue by using comic strips. I have no experience with this but it was recommended by a peer in conversation. Does anyone have any insight to how I might use this as an introduction to writing dialogue?

rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

comics
Old 12-31-2018, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure but those dialogue bubbles in comic strips don't have quotation marks. I used comic strips to teach inference...Garfield comics, kids loved it.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Athena17

other ideas
Old 12-31-2018, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used interviewing to reinforce dialogue. We read an informational text about a family that moved to the US and their struggle to fit in. The kids paired off with one being the immigrant child and the other interviewed him/her.

Also, current events are good to reinforce dialogue. I teach 8th grade. I don't know if that would work with 4th grade, but they brought in one quote on a certain day, and we did a sharing activity and discussed the qoutes. While they were discussing, I walked around and gave feedback for an informal assessment.

The most obvious is writing narrative, but the writing focus in 8th grade is persuasive writing, so we don't do narratives until after testing.
Athena17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Practice
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use comic strips as a practice after introducing dialog. We go over the rules, look at examples, etc.

Then, I give the students a Peanuts comic strip. They have to rewrite the comic strip using dialog. I have them include a variety of different ways, such as Charlie said, ".....", "___________," said Charlie", "__________, said Snoopy, "__________", etc. Basically, they have to rewrite the strip incorporating the different rules of dialog.

When I was in 6th grade, we did this fun activity called "talking posters". We had to cut out pictures from magazines and newspapers and write their conversations using dialog. It was a lot of fun. I haven't done it, as I don't have magazines or catalogues, and I also know that you can't control what goes into those magazines and catalogues, especially if families donate them for use, and I don't want to risk the students finding a picture some would determine as inappropriate.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teacherbee...I love the idea of cutting comic strips and turning them into dialogue.. that's awesome

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Teacherbee...I love the idea of cutting comic strips and turning them into dialogue.. that's awesome
Thanks! I think I got the idea on here!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

Teaching Dialogue
Old 01-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Although I am now retired, I used comic strips to teach dialogue/quotation marks to second graders. I told them the speech bubbles in the comic strips were the author's way of showing quotation marks. I pointed out that when writing dialogue in their own stories you put the quotation marks just around what the person said, NOT their name and the speaking word.

I also copied text from stories with lots of dialogue/quotation marks and had them underline the speaking words in red and what was actually being said in blue. Very helpful for the more visual learners. An example would be:

Aymie stated, "August just threw a flake of hay to the cows."

In this sentence, "stated" would be underlined in red and "August just threw a flake of hay to the cows" would be underlined in blue.

I found this method very helpful to most students and used it even with older students when I taught fourth and fifth grade.
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote