Help

BusyBoard

Feeling guilty over grades?

>

hikinghiker

Feeling guilty over grades?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach kindergarten and I had to assign 6 citizenship grades. I have one student who has been a behavior problem all year. First quarter he had several very severe incidents which resulted in multiple suspensions. When not having those episodes, his behavior was mostly fine. I gave him mostly S's (U-unsatisfactory, N- needs improvement, S-Satisfactory, E-excellent)

Grades were just finalized for the second quarter and I gave that student all U's. Mom sent me an email saying that she thought there had been improvement. I responded that he had had less severe incidents but his daily behavior was concerning since I was redirecting him up to 20 times in an hour. I also said my expectations are higher for quarter 2 and that I gave more grading leeway Quarter 1 while they were getting adjusted to school. But now I'm feeling really guilty and like I graded him wrong.

He has improved in some aspects, so he should have probably gotten a better grade. But he's also still awful and definitely takes away massive instructional time because of the frequency of his behaviors.

What should I do? I'm pretty sure I can't change grades, but I also feel like I should have been a little easier while grading him. None of my co-teachers gave any student a U so now I feel like I definitely was way too harsh. What are your thoughts?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You donít give students grades, they earn them and heís not meeting expectations. Your expectations SHOULD be higher this quarter and having to redirect him that often isnít acceptable. Just because your colleagues didnít give Uís doesnít mean you shouldnít. I think the U is perfectly appropriate.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

MizBeetle

Grades
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am speaking as someone who has been teaching for many years and began my teaching career in kindergarten - parents need to know sooner than later that there are differences in their child’s behavior in comparison to the general population of students. It takes some parents several years of being told that things are not typical before they are ready to believe it. Yes you should let them know that there have been improvements, if there have been. Some parents gave no idea how their child’s behavior differs because either they have no other children or they have come to believe that the behavior is typical. 20 redirects an hour is a lot and I agree that at this point in the year your expectations should change. Yes, I am aware that in kindergarten you have children with different maturity levels,etc. I am sure you’ve looked at his birthday... This might be a great time to open up a conversation with Mom about what she sees at home and in other situations. How does she handle his behavior in those situations? Are there things that work for her that you could adopt? You focused on his behavior. Are his academic skills at expectation levels for this time of the year or are his behaviors hampering his progress in this area too?
I applaud you for your honesty.
MizBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

He's definitely a handful
Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

His behaviors aren't severe now, mostly annoying. For example, during a story, I'll have to remind him a handful of times to sit down, to not blurt, and to stay focused and stop touching other people or things. He needs to be told to do something several times before he does it, and then even still as soon as I turn my back he's back at it. He's also very rude to his classmates and can even be disrespectful to me. He's one of my older students too so there's not really an excuse.

I've communicated a lot to mom and she thought he was doing better since he's received no more suspensions this quarter and only a few citations. Basically, everything has been handled in class instead of an admin office and I think that gave her the impression that he was doing better, despite a note being sent home at least once a week about his behaviors.

His academics are fine. He came in high but has started toe even out because he's not dedicated. He'll quit as soon as things get difficult, even after many talks about it, and really has no self start. I have to be on him constantly to get him to do anything.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hate grades. They are not an accurate picture of students. I have had students who have done the bare minimum and received an 80%; however; I have also received students who have literally moved heaven and earth and still received an 80%.

You need to express to the family that grades are not an accurate picture of students and are subjective. At the end of the day effort and growth mean more than a number on a report card.

Overlightnes is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I understand her questioning the difference. To get mostly satisfactory when he was being suspended often only to get two grades down when he is not is confusing. If anything, you graded too leniently the first quarter. Think about the logic of the grades you gave. It is satisfactory to get suspended on multiple occasions (not even need improvement) but unsatisfactory for behavior to not result in suspensions but a note home about once a week. In other words, the behavior is satisfactory (fine) when I don't have to deal with him (because he is suspended), but the worst grade possible when I do have to deal with him (because there are no suspendable offenses).

I'd be surprised if this child was the only one exhibiting the same behaviors such as not being able to get through a lesson, needing instructions repeated several times, etc. Did any of those students get U grades?

Now, I think that having the paper trail will be beneficial for the student in getting needed help if it comes to that, but I do see why the parent is confused.

You can indicate to her what you told us. Severe behaviors was the problem before. Now it is low level constant distraction and inability to attend along with negative social behaviors. Either way, you all have to work together to get this under control so the child can be successful.

You also have to wonder why this is an issue now? Is it because he missed so much time being suspended the first quarter so that he is now having trouble adjusting or did the constant suspensions impact his emotional state and lead to constant low-level behaviors? Did he have them before but you let them slide because it was the first quarter of K and many kids were struggling with learning procedures and proper K behaviors which he missed by being suspended often?

MayCee

Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do you do any kind of behavior log or have a behavior plan for him? When Iíve had a student like this, I immediately start a log. If there is a behavior I have to correct, I write it down- the incident, what I did to correct it and the results. Then after a few weeks, if there is still a pattern, I creat a behavior plan, and call the parents in for a conference. I show them the data Iíve collected, introduce the behavior plan and discuss with parents. We discuss why this is needed and if they have any suggestions or ideas to add.

The first couple of weeks of the behavior plan I send home a daily report for parents to see. Then if there is improvement I move to sending home every couple of days, and so forth.

This helps keep parents involved, and improves behaviors. We tackle 2 behaviors at a time. Once those are good, we move onto two more until the child is behaving in class without the support of a behavior plan.

This website gives a lot of great resources. https://www.pbisworld.com
MayCee is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Don't feel guilty
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In hindsight, I would probably wish to go back and give Ns both times - for different reasons. But nobody is perfect and we do the best we can with the information we have at the time!

You explained to mom that the behavior has changed - improved in some ways while declining in others. Reassure her that he's young and has time to improve - colleges don't see your kindergarten grades!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would explain to Mom that even though he has improved, his behavior still isn't satisfactory. I would turn the convo to how far he has come and what we need to do next to continue that improvement.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Miz Beetle is right on
Old 01-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree with everything she said.

Would you have felt better giving him S marks? No, because his behavior was still very far from satisfactory. Sounds like you did a good job explaining it to mom.

Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I read through this quickly... my quick impression is to offer a reminder that grades serve several purposes, including communication to parents and the student. At the same time, grades aren't the only way to communicate. If the parent (and, at some level the student) understands that he's improved but his behavior is still "unsatisfactory" I'm not so sure there's a problem. The grade won't affect his chances of getting into college. His behavior could. In my personal opinion, behavior standards are often set too low--the only question I see here is whether or not you are grading reasonably consistently with all students.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote