Help

BusyBoard

Kidney Stones

>

Kinderkr4zy

Kidney Stones
Old 12-15-2018, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After having one hell of a bad week, a real humdinger, I woke up this morning in excruciating pain that turned out to be kidney stones. What a cherry on top of my week

They havent all passed yet and the doctor gave me a work note for the rest of the week since I will have more episodes of pain as they pass.

But its a bad week to be sick. We have our end of unit summative in math and I have parents coming in to present and share their culture with the class and small group projects on cultural traditions and celebrations around the world. The "preserving our traditions" lessons the kids have been looking forward t and I have worked had hard on them and connecting with families to make it successful and inclusive. In math I have had extremely strong data, worth blowing my horn over really, and I dont want to jeopardize that.

On top of that I doubt I could get as sub for all 4 days and that would leave my class split between the other 2 classes. It is very crazy few days before winter break so to combine classes that would be awful for my grade level team.

What would you do? I think I want to try to go in with sub plans on hand in case I need to leave but would it be better to try for a sub than to go in and possibly need to leave because then I definitely wouldn't have coverage if I left mid day. HELP

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Having kidney stone surgery twice I won't want to go into class. But, how supportive is your P? Would s/he be supportive if you needed to leave.

For me it would not be a hard choice, I would not go in until I passed the stones.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-15-2018, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've had kidney stones three times. I feel perfectly fine until they move into a position where suddenly I am doubled over with pain. Since that might or might not happen while I am actually in class, I'd probably go in with sub plans on hand and fingers crossed they don't move until after school.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Old 12-15-2018, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Based on my roommate's pain with what the Dr. just calls a kidney infection (he doesn't know if they are stones b/c she won't get an ultrasound because she has no insurance ) I DEFINITELY would NOT go in because the week will be crazy, the kids will be crazy and it will be impossible to get a sub mid-day. I think it would be really hard for you, and stressful.

I hate these type of decisions and I often make the wrong one...Good luck!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I worked one time with kidney stones during this time of year. I agree with talking to your P (if supportive) and having a plan in place ahead of time in case you need to leave. You might feel fine, but you just never know when they will decide to move. Maybe drink tons of water today and hopefully some more will pass.

TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iíve never had kidney stones but if Dr gave you note to be off work then Iíd follow what Dr said and stay home. Why push yourself and be miserable at work?
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 12-16-2018, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would take the time off. I hate that teachers feel they HAVE to go in when they have a legitimate reason to stay home. If you donít abuse your sick time then stay home! The school/parents have to understand-end of story. They split classes in my school too-all the time. We just deal with it and the kids are ok with it. I would never make a colleague feel bad about it.
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-16-2018, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it really depends on you and your pain tolerance.

I have passed about 12 stones and have had 7 procedures (one being major kidney surgery)

My last stone was about 22mm and stuck in my ureter. It took 5 separate lithotripsy procedures to get it out. I only missed school on the days I had lithotripsy - the machine was only at our hospital every other Friday so the stone was there for about 3 months. They had to put a stent in too, to help against infection.

I have a high tolerance for pain though and it was not constant pain. It only hurt when I needed to use the bathroom or there was pressure.

Did the Dr. give you anything to help with the pain? Is it constant pain or does it come and go?

I hate decisions like this. I probably would have sub plans just in case, but try to make it on Monday to see. But, I do agree you should talk to your P and have a plan in place if you need to leave.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance and go in either. What happens if it moves and you're at school? Can you drive yourself home or to the hospital? Doesn't seem like it from what I read. Plan for a sub and if they pass, then go on in. If not, parents will have to understand for goodness sakes. The lessons and cool activities can hopefully be rescheduled for after break. It's still a very worthwhile activity no matter what time of year.

Not much to do about the math except administer the assessment after break. Would the data be worthy even this last week before break?

I too hate that we feel, or are made to feel, that we are irreplaceable. Take care of yourself. There are times, I too went in when I shouldn't have.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 12-16-2018, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've had kidney stones and I 2ouod take off. You can feel good and then all of the sudden the stone moves and you are in agony.

Yes, it's a crappy time to be off, but YOU are important! The kids will be fine!

teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote