BusyBoard

Advice needed

>

pielette

Advice needed
Old 12-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello teachers,

Happy holidays! Iíve had a rough few days because of pneumonia and it got me thinking and looking honestly at my job. Iíve decided that classroom teaching is not for me and I will look into other jobs in the field of education. In the meantime, Iím not sure if I can return in January. I feel like teaching is too stressful for me and when I go back, my health is going to get worse, not better. But at the same time, Iím in a good school and school district, and I donít want to quit entirely. I have good relationships with people there and itís a place where I saw myself having a career even if itís not as a teacher.

If I go back to finish the year, it will take a lot of effort and convincing myself. I was thinking of changing things up when I go back to make it more fun for myself and the students so we can finish the year together. But realistically, I donít think the situation will much improve. I need a job where I can stay healthy and teaching full time is not it. What can I do to stay on good terms with my school district as well as take care of my health?

Thank you teachers

pielette is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 12-23-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, to stay on good terms you need to figure out a way to finish the year. If you quit, I think it will burn your bridges there. Get as much help as you can- do you have coaches? Get them in to help you p,an and to support you in your classroom.,

Hope you feel better soon!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Munchkin. What is the most stressful or worst part of your job? What has to change to make it worth staying the rest of the year? How can we help you with that?

I think if you are going to leave when you return, you better let someone know now. Odds are though that you will not be offered anything in the district if you do.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

pielette

Unique and tricky situation
Old 12-23-2018, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know I really should stay and finish the year too because the district is counting on me .

I'm teaching the non-English portion of a dual language program. However most of my students are native speakers of that language so my class is kind of moot. There is no motivation. In addition, many of my students are rude for cultural reasons. It's an unpleasant job for me and I feel sick just thinking about going back. My team is not very trustworthy .

When we go back I was thinking of trying an inquiry approach or teaching science/art/practical skills. That might motivate myself but I'm not sure it will help my situation.

Sprite

Old 12-23-2018, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The one thought I had was if they had any open positions for something else .. like a para and you applied for it .. maybe youíd get it ? Iíve seen people do this at my school. Or another position.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Advice
Old 12-24-2018, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quitting could really ruin future teaching chances. We've all had rough years but somehow we make it to summer. I like your ideas of trying something new. Regenerating is a positive approach! Then after the years over , reflect and decide for next year.
I thought last year would do me in, but this year is awesome
Check back here for inspiration!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you want to stay with the district, donít burn your bridges. You need to finish out the year with your best effort. As a previous poster stated, weíve all had rough years. It goes with the job. My philosophy when I had particularly challenging students was that I needed to learn a lesson from them or about myself, or they needed me. Often the years we grow most as teachers are those tough years.

Approaching the 2nd semester with a positive attitude and new ideas is a great idea. Good luck.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I know this is not the case everywhere, but
Old 12-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

in our school, we have some positions that require a lot less than others. Our title and intervention teachers pull out 1 kid at a time.
Our speech path gets 1 day off a week for paperwork. She only sees 1 kid at a time too. ( Less germs too..the fewer the kids)
We have certain aides who just come in, stand around, and watch kids. They do not intervene or do much at all. Are there any positions like that you could do?
Also, you will build immunity to all of the germs over time.
Definitely do your best to make it through the year. Keep on a cheery face and help others all you can.
Then if you can, build a good relationship w. the P. Maybe if he knows how much you love the school and staff, he'll arrange for you to change jobs. It really depends on what is open and if you have a good P. Our P gives the less stressful jobs to the younger teachers. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Try to eat right and force yourself to get enough sleep to keep your immune system better. I hope you get well soon!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I'm retired
Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

and every now and then I bump into an old teaching colleague. They frequently tell me of others who got disillusioned with teaching. Some do online teaching, one or two have been hired on with a junior college. One was hired on with an educational publishing group.. This is job that demands traveling and giving presentations and training to teachers.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Senorita11

Senorita11

Old 12-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I agree. If you can isolate what's the most stressful that can help you to make it.
See if you can tailor work to make the students do more work. Delegate them to help you, even in the small things. Identify your classroom leaders and you might want to change up the classroom arrangement. I hope you feel better soon.

pielette

Thank you
Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thank you. I need to think of ways to make this year enjoyable for myself and my students. I feel like I've lost my love for kids and I want to enjoy working with children again. I feel like I don't bond with my students. Does anyone have any advice about when they feel like they don't click with kids?

Athena17

Don't give up.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with summerwillcome. You have to take care of yourself. My first couple of years teaching, I was so stressed because I was not prepared for the amount of work and planning that goes into teaching! Then something would change and make me deviate from my plans, and I would get off schedule...not cool with my personality! I discovered that I wasn't even breathing most of the time! I caught myself at the end of the class period taking deep breaths like I was getting ready for a boxing match. Lol
I had to force myself to relax during the class period, take deep breaths, and look around the classroom and just SEE my students. Just remember that classroom is YOURS. You are the momma/daddy to those kids. Treat them like they are yours. Imagine what they will become as adults and realize that you are shaping their minds and lives. Think back to when you were their age. What do you remember about your teacher? What do you want your kids to remember about you when they think back? I am rooting for you! You can do this!
Athena17 is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 12-31-2018, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree that you need to take extra steps to stay healthy - eat well, get plenty of rest, find ways to reduce your stress such as exercise or yoga and washing your hands with hot, soapy water frequently.
With regard to your classroom, changing your approach is a great idea! Look for the positive traits in your students and recognize them. Show genuine interest in your students and get feedback from them. Make your classroom interactions ones that give both you and your students joy each day. Changing the way that you view your job each day will help to turn things around. It is best to finish out the rest of the school year so why not take the risk and make it what you want it to be?
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

pielette

Thank you
Old 01-01-2019, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you for everyoneís encouragement and advice

Iíve decided I will finish the year and since itís possibly my last 6 months as a teacher, I will take some risks and try to enjoy it.

I will come back here for more advice! I need a lot of help to finish this year.

pielette

Update <3
Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Hi teachers,

I go back on Monday but after thinking about it, I just canít picture myself going back. The past month has made me see very clearly that public school teaching is not for me and itís harming my health.

I realized that I donít dislike children and hate teachingó I very much still want to do it, but in an environment like preschool, tutoring, or art and music classes. Iíve always wanted to work in a preschool or childcare.

Also, I applied to graduate school over winter break. I decided to pursue another type of job and I will work with children on part-time or volunteer basis. The thing is, I know I am not going back to classroom teaching. Would it be ok if I resign and tell my admin that I am taking care of health and pursuing what Iíve always wanted to do?