Help

BusyBoard

Thank you notes..

>

Sprite

Thank you notes..
Old 12-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you write out thank you notes to all of your students for each Christmas/Holiday gift you received?

I do. I send postcards home. This year I've thought about sending emails.. but I just don't know if that is professional.

What do you think?

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-26-2018, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always sent individual handwritten notes for every gift. I addressed the thank you to the “name of student and family.” In addition to expressing thanks for their kindness, it also models a proper thank you. It’s amazing how many people actually don’t write thank you notes these days. My parents taught my siblings and me to write thank you notes to our grandparents when we were in elementary school.

Personally, I would not send an email thank you.

Last edited by ZipLine; 12-27-2018 at 11:46 AM..
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Thoughts
Old 12-26-2018, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I send thank you cards through the mail. I know the kids love getting mail, plus it shows them proper etiquette.
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The last day before Winter Break, the kids watch The Polar Express in another room. It is 99 minutes long, which is just enough time for me to write each kiddo a thank you. I'm not down with spending for stamps too, so I just put them in backpacks.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 12-26-2018, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Depending on the year I get them written on the last day and send them home that day, mail them over break, or send them home our first day back.

One of my son's teachers emails the note and I think it's fine to do that.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-26-2018, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes. I keep thank you cards at school and I write them during my plan time or lunch and I put them in their mailboxes. I think it’s important to acknowledge the gift.

I don’t want to spend the postage and many of my kids move so often we don’t have current addresses in the system so I’m afraid if I mailed it they’d never get it. I’d rather put it in their mailbox at school and KNOW they got it.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 12-26-2018, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks everyone. I wrote them out and used my own stamps. I only had 6 to do as I did 2 of them at school. I received 8 presents this year. It was the most I've ever received. Because I teach middle school and over 70% of my class doesn't celebrate Christmas .. this was impressive!

My school will stamp the letters for me but I wanted to be done with the job.

Gogogo

I always write thank yous
Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I figure if they can take the time and money to get me a gift I can take the time and the cost of the stamp to say thank you. I like mailing the thank yous because then the parent will see the notr for sure and kids love getting mail.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

TY notes
Old 12-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Absolutely yes. I handwrote them and mailed them over the break.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do write thank you notes and mail them from home. This year a mom sent me a text thanking me for sending her daughter one. She said she had made her daughter write a few to extended family for the gifts she received, and her daughter hadn't been thrilled with the task. When she received the one I sent, her mom used it as a teachable moment to help her realize that the people she sent one too enjoyed getting one from her as much as she enjoyed getting mine. I had never received a thank you for a thank you note before.

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Yes..
Old 12-27-2018, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I write Thank you notes to my students and address them to the student and family or the _______ family. In years past, I kept a stack of thank you notes in my desk, wrote them on my prep, and gave them to kids to take home that day. However, last year, I discovered on more than one occasion the thank you note unopened stuffed in desks, folders, or backpacks, even after I made sure to tell the students to make sure they shared it with their parents. I'm guessing that means most of mine went undelivered! Starting at the end of last year, I started writing them and mailing them home through the postal service.

However, I wrote 17 notes this Christmas. I ended up buying a book of 20 stamps, so I could mail them. It ended up costing me $10 to mail al of them! Oh well, at least I know they will get them!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I always sent thank you notes to the house for Christmas and end of the year gifts. It is common in my school to receive a gift from almost all of your students. I never opened gifts at school so it was just easier to mail the cards.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 12-27-2018, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
However, I wrote 17 notes this Christmas. I ended up buying a book of 20 stamps, so I could mail them. It ended up costing me $10 to mail al of them! Oh well, at least I know they will get them!
Can you not send them through the school?

Tiamat

Old 12-28-2018, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

No. I make sure I thank the child personally,and thank the parent as well if I get the opportunity, but I would never think to write a letter. The last thank you letters I wrote were after my wedding in 1984. I wouldn't have received any in that time, either. Just not a big thing in my circle, I guess.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lionpaws

Thank you
Old 01-01-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I do send a thank you note through the mail. I always did a handwritten note in the past, but as I have gotten older, it is harder for me to write neatly. I now type a note into a store bought thank you card. I buy a box of thank yous that have no verse inside but just a thank you on the front so that I can put my own thank you into it.

As for what I write, I usually acknowledge the gift, share how I intend to use it or how it fits my personality perfectly. I often tell them what I appreciate about them as a student, and then I close with another statement of gratitude.

My students love getting these in the mail, even in this day and age of technology. Although they do take time to write, address, and mail, I sincerely appreciate the generosity and care of the parents who demonstrate their care for me.
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I write them out
Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

and put them in their take-home folders. I actually write Christmas cards to everyone, and then, on the last day, I add a thank you sentence or two at the end of those that gave gifts. Then I sign them all and put them in their take-home folders. That way, every child gets a card, so no one is asking why they didn't get a card from me. (First graders feel hurt if they don't get a card.)
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Thank You Notes
Old 01-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
This year a mom sent me a text thanking me for sending her daughter one. She said she had made her daughter write a few to extended family for the gifts she received, and her daughter hadn't been thrilled with the task. When she received the one I sent, her mom used it as a teachable moment to help her realize that the people she sent one too enjoyed getting one from her as much as she enjoyed getting mine.
That's great!!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Thank you
Old 01-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I don't. I make sure I hug them and thank them personally, no matter if it's a note, a drawing, gift card, etc... I used to write out thank you cards, but it got to be awkward when some would give me a note because it was all they could give. It felt silly to give a thank you card for a note, but it felt wrong to not give them anything.

I do write a generic thank you on the weekly newsletter and email that says thanks for all the sweet notes, gifts, etc... and how I loved them all.

I grew up writing thank you cards, but only when the person wasn't there to see you open the gift, so I do the same thing still.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

I always write a thank you
Old 01-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

note and send it in the mail during break. I also send each child a Christmas card from me too. They LOVE getting mail and I have always had parents who have thanked me for both.
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

jcbsmom

Thank you
Old 01-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I always wrote a personal Thank You note to each student who gave a gift to me, be it large or small. I even acknowledged had-drawn pictures and cards although etiquette dictates a Thank You is not needed for a card. As others have stated, children love receiving mail. Also, the schools where I taught were in very high poverty areas so if a student took the time and love to make a card for me, I figured I could spend the price of a stamp to show appreciation and to teach courtesy.
jcbsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Amistad

Old 01-04-2019, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I write a thank you note only if I was not able to open the gift and thank the student in person.
Amistad is offline   Reply With Quote