Is it bad that I just want to do my job and go home? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Is it bad that I just want to do my job and go home?

>

heartmyjob

Is it bad that I just want to do my job and go home?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been teaching 6th grade math for 14 years. Iím good at it and my scores reflect it. This year, my admin asked me to be a team leader.

It is a small pay increase but I do not enjoy this role or thrive in it. I donít mind helping co-workers but I would rather focus on my own studentsí needs and get out of there! I donít want to be chased around by other teachers who have questions. It doesnít help that I also coach year round, which I really enjoy, but it doesnít leave me much time to help guide my team.

I love teaching and coaching, thatís it. I donít want to be on committees or be in charge of adults or tell people what to do. However, the longer I stay in this position and in this school, Iím looked up to as a leader.

I need to talk to my principal about getting out of this leadership position for next year but Iím nervous he will think Iím unprofessional, selfish, immature, or not a team player. In reality, Iíd rather spend my time working directly with kids.

Does anyone else feel a bit guilty for simply wanting to worry about your own domain and not others?

heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Ditching a position
Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I never felt the least bit guilty. Just explain that the position isnít the best fit. You prefer coaching and whatever and you are choosing not to do it again next year.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 01-05-2019, 12:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Especially if itís a paid position, I donít think you need to feel guilty about saying no.

At my school, itís an unpaid position thatís supposed to rotate, so it would usually be frowned upon to say no.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A paid position sounds optional to me. I think you should say "No, thank you" and allow someone who wants it the opportunity. Instead of feeling guilty, look at it this way: you're doing someone else a kindness!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Running to and running away...
Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

FWIW, there's a real difference between running away from something and running to something. I would suggest being focused on what you do enjoy. You do want to focus on your coaching and being helpful...You like being a good teacher. Assuming the responsibility of a team interferes with what you do well and are good at... it's okay to be "selfish" because that's mature and professional and ultimately in the best interest of the district and the kids. So I would suggest the conversation is more about what you are "into" rather than "getting out of."

As a corollary, unhappy and unrealized employees are not in the best interest of the organization. You might not want to lead with that but keep it in the back of your mind.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I see what you are saying. I was on my school's leadership team for the past 5 years, which is unpaid at my school . This year I put my foot down and told my team that I'd done it for 5 years and it was someone else's turn. They were actually really understanding- they said they had no idea I was feeling burnt out with it. One of my teammates took over the position.

Especially with this being a paid position, I don't think you have to feel guilty. Is there a teammate who would want the position? You might feel more comfortable going to your P if you can name a replacement. Like the pp said, I would make sure to phrase it as wanting to focus on your students and your strengths vs. using more negative language such as needing a break or not liking the leadership position.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At my school it is unpaid and usually rotates every couple of years. It is a big headache and extra work. I say turn it down if you want to! I would not feel guilty.
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

Amistad

Old 01-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I donít think you need to worry at all. You are also coaching, so I would approach the subject of devoting more time to the students. Plenty of people interested in admin positions will just at the chance to be team leader.
Amistad is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

Reasonable
Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Your position is perfectly reasonable. Tell your boss what you told us and you'll be fine.
teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Here is a different point of view to think about.

I think at some point we are all expected to do more for the good of our community. It’s hard because some thrive in leadership positions, others are uncomfortable in those positions. It sounds like you have something to offer and your principal recognizes that.

In my district the teachers who have taken leadership positions have made positive contritributions and have moved us towards productive practices. Teachers are more open to learning from them and they have more to offer than outside consultants.

Being a teacher is more than being a classroom teacher. There is an unwritten obligation to do more beyond the classroom through being a team leader, peer coach, having student teachers, or being a part of a curriculum resource team.

Give it a try for a year or two. A year or two out of a 30 year career isn’t too much to ask.

If you are truly unable to, then simply tell the principal that you are unable to commit to the position at this time.

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

Thank you!!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I loved reading the replies and it gave me a lot to think about!

I talked to my principal today who actually said they will be losing 2 team leader positions next year so he was relieved that I volunteered to step down!

Phew a win/win all around and as usual, my worrying was for nothing.
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Just say no...
Old 01-08-2019, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It sounds like you are already busy with coaching and the demands of your classroom. You tried the team leader position for a year, which should show you are a leader and a team player, but the actual job was not for you. Your answer that you don't mind helping colleagues when you can but need to focus on your own students' needs makes a lot of sense. What you think about continuing in the job is important, what he thinks, not so much.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote