Help

BusyBoard

Classroom Appliances Question

>

Teacher_twins

Classroom Appliances Question
Old 01-08-2019, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is your school's policy on having personal appliances, such as a microwave, mini-fridge, coffeemaker, etc., in your classroom?

In my school, we are allowed to have coffee makers, microwaves under 700 watts, but no mini fridges or hotplates (like an induction cooktop).

Also, does anyone have recommendations for an electric kettle for making water for tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker, so I don't need a coffee maker.

Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Not allowed...
Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did keep a small electric heater by my desk and I put it away each night. My principal doesn't even want to see us in the hall with a coffee cup, let alone a coffee maker in the classroom. And I think it is against state rules, because we are always told to remove anything like a fridge or heater if we are undergoing state monitoring. When I taught in NY state, I had a coffeemaker on the counter in my sixth grade classroom. It never caused any problems.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Shhhh....
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not sure if I’m supposed to or not, but my room is the furthest point from the office and the teachers’ room. I have an electrical teapot in my room. I hide it every day.

My aunt had this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MegaChef-...8aAmIDEALw_wcB

This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...23553701&psc=1
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We never had a policy, thank goodness! I had a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and a tiny hot plate! (I often spent more time in my classroom than at home!)
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The first school I worked at you could not have any appliances, however other schools I worked at it wasn't a problem. Don't know why the difference was, I worked in the same district.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-08-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Well, my district provides a full kitchen in our Kinder classrooms, so I have a full sized 'fridge, stove/oven, Keurig, and microwave. I'd love a garbage disposal.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Appliances
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

For years we were allowed free range. Mostly, people had refrigerators and microwaves. Then, during the big California budget crisis, we were told we couldn’t have anything. According to superintendent the district could save a lot of money on their utility bill if we all unplugged everything.

That lasted about a year before things started getting plugged in again.

Last edited by Keltikmom; 01-08-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Appliances in classrooms
Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't think our school has an official policy. I don't know of any teachers who have any of those things though. A full sized fridge in a classroom would definitely raise eyebrows.

Our school has a full kitchen with ten mini kitchen bays with ovens, cooking equipment and microwaves so if we want to cook with the kids, we go in there.

I did bring a kettle into my room last year to make jelly with my Kinder's, and the kettle ended up staying in my room for a couple of months.
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't know if we have an official policy, but we have a mini fridge, microwave, and keurig.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Current and Old District
Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In my old district, if you had any appliance, you had to buy a sticker for each one and you had to pay for it with your own money. Each appliance needed a sticker. You bought the sticker or sticker and put it on your appliance. If administrators or maintenance people noticed an appliance without a sticker, they confiscated it (or were supposed to). The money used from the stickers was to help pay the added electric bills with the appliances. However, I know my friend had this storage locker thing and she put her mini-fridge in there and no one saw it. Plus, who would actually take the time confiscate the appliances? Moving a microwave or a mini-fridge?

At my current school, they never had a policy and a lot of people did have them. This year, they put in our handbook that you could only have one if it was for a medical reason. However, again, it's not enforced at all.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We pretty much have whatever we want, although I think a hotplate would be a big no-no. I personally have a mini fridge and a microwave. I don't drink coffee. Our media center has a Keurig and our principal has one in her office, as well as a water dispenser.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have an electric kettle in my room. Sometimes it is for science, sometimes for tea. I keep it in my cupboard most of the time. Right now it is on my counter because I forgot to put it away Monday.

We aren't allowed fridges or microwaves. I don't know for sure, but I think that items that we can unplug and store - aren't used everyday (like hot plates or kettles) are okay, but just in case, I bring my hotplate back and forth if I need one.

Zia- at my school the 3 k classes share a teeny room that functions as a kitchen, so the district doesn't provide every k class a kitchen. There is no way that they could show the kids anything using the kitchen! Really, it is a closet. Once I took my class down there so we could heat something in the oven for science. They took turns standing 2-3 in the doorway so they could see what was happening. Kitchen is between 2 k classes, but not even close to the 3rd class.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

aricat

Old 01-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have a mini fridge and a microwave in my room. My mini fridge is hidden under my desk but all of my principals have known about it and haven't said anything. I don't drink hot beverages, but my principal has a kettle in her office, and we have a Keurig in the staff room. We aren't allowed hot plates.
aricat is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Depends
Old 01-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Only science teachers can have a mini fridge (for experiments) luckily my next door neighbor is a science teacher and my friend so we share it. She also hides a keurig but there’s also one in the lounge. I have a mini individual serving size crockpot (best gift ever!!!) that I keep in my closet. I use it to heat up any soups or stews that I bring for lunch.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
Zia- at my school the 3 k classes share a teeny room that functions as a kitchen, so the district doesn't provide every k class a kitchen. There is no way that they could show the kids anything using the kitchen! Really, it is a closet. Once I took my class down there so we could heat something in the oven for science. They took turns standing 2-3 in the doorway so they could see what was happening. Kitchen is between 2 k classes, but not even close to the 3rd class.
I realize this isn't district-wide (though I think it should be!). The Kinder wing in my school was built in the 80s and we have 5 really big Kinder rooms, each with a full kitchen and a dedicated K playground. Even the lounge doesn't have a stove/oven. I think when each school was built had an impact on that sort of thing? I really don't know how decisions like that are made. I was worried about my school being torn down and re-built, but it's really far down on the list. I'd hate to lose the amenities we have.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Appliances
Old 01-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Not allowed anything. Electric bill cost cutting measures.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote