Help

BusyBoard

Restorative Practice

>

heartmyjob

Restorative Practice
Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is this happening all over or just in my district?

It is a big push this semester throughout our county. Iím trying to figure out what it looks like in other schools. It sounds a lot like what we do everyday already??

Anyone else in a district that hears this buzzword??

heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Yup...
Old 01-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My previous district was big into this and I was trained in it. My current school is going to this. I think WHEN DONE CORRECTLY, it can work. However, both places I've worked think "repair the tear" means to apologize and that's it. A kid kicks a teacher? Apologize and it's good. A kid screams and throws things? Apologize and it's good. That's their mindset. It's ridiculous. I definitely think that for CERTAIN things, okay an apologize is fine. But for other things, suspensions, detentions, and more severe natural consequences are much more necessary. Just my opinion.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

I agree!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We got rid of our demerit system (middle school) for this. I feel that understanding the reason behind a behavior is great and can work for some kids but negative consequences can also be really effective to prevent unwanted behaviors in other kids.

Itís like the whole positive behavior incentive push has been revamped to this.

But Iím still learning...
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not Sincere
Old 01-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My biggest issue that most of the apologies aren't sincere, and the behaviors just continues because the kids know that all they have to do is apologize. Both schools I've been at say behavior has improved, as evidenced by decreased detentions and decreased suspensions. However, the only reason they are decreasing is because we stopped giving them!

Don't get me wrong, I do think there can be a place for restorative practices. I do think it can be necessary and effective and impactful in certain situations. However, I don't think it's right to use 100% of the time and I especially don't think the way the schools I've been at have implemented it is effective. However, again, they haven't actually implemented it correctly in my opinion.

If implemented correctly, and repair the tear means more than just saying sorry, I think it can be used. However, I think she students should have a 1 time shot of going through the process. If a student is consistently doing similar things wrong and consistently goes through the restorative practice framework, then different measures need to be taken. A kid can do something stupid, be really sorry for it, make amends, and not do it again. I'm okay with that. However, it happening multiple times with the same kid is not okay in my book. In some cases, other measures need to be taken in additional to the restorative circle/repairing the tear. As an example, if two kids get in a physical fight, you can do a restorative circle and talk through it, make amends, etc., but I still think the kids should also get a detention, In school suspension, out of school suspension, etc. just to really emphasize that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote