Center Activities

Managing Centers

>

JustMe

Managing Centers
Old 08-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need help please!!!

I teach 5th grade and this is our 2nd year with a new reading series. We do guided reading and I need help with managing my centers.

I believe I will have 4 or 5 groups. 1 - above level, 2 - on level, 2 - below level. I am to meet with the above group 2 times per story, the on level group 3 times per story and the below group 4 times per story. I have to meet with at least 2 groups a day and each group needs to be for 15-20 minutes. I'll have about 45 minutes (last year I never got that much time!).

Here are my issues/concerns that I need help with:

1. creating a scheudle that will get all of these groups in enough times during a 7 day cycle (with a test on day 8).

2. managing the centers themselves. If one group sees me 2 times and others see me 4 times, how can I assess these centers. The below level group needs WAY more time on centers and certainly can't complete the same amount of work in 2 less days!

3. I don't have a problem assigning different centers/activities to different levels, but how do you manage this? Do you make an assignment sheet for each story and say pick 2 or 3 items based on your level? Should they have folders for their assignments...

As you can see, I have lots to work on.
I would appreciate any help, insight and ideas you are willing to share.

Thanks so much!
I always appreciate the help from fellow pro-teachers!
Warmly,
Me

JustMe is offline   Reply With Quote