Center Activities

i am trying to revamp my centers

>

rth2008

help with centers changes
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

what literacy centers do you do?

what is your favorite way to organize/manage centers?

has anyone ever done more of a workshop format where the 'center' change everyday but the kids also work through each one every day and then maybe choose a free center at the end if they get everything done?

just literacy centers? or literacy/math/science/ss all mixed together? do them all but at different times?

sorry i have lots of questions. i just haven't been very happy with the way i was doing centers and want to make sure i change it to be more beneficial for my students.

Last edited by rth2008; 08-05-2011 at 12:00 PM..
rth2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

PSUgrad

same dilemma!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In getting ready for school, I have been thinking the same thing for this upcoming year. With the way my schedule is broken up, I have about an uninterrupted hour to play with. I split my students into 4 groups, and they rotate every 15 minutes, allowing me to meet with every child, every day (I know many meet with struggling readers daily, and rotate the remaining students). The students that benefit the most from this are the students on grade-level, and it's amazing how many of them will end the school year reading above grade level. When I meet with each group, I have manilla folders that are stapled together, and each student has a few blank pages. During their reading, I jot down notes on how they did on decoding/comprehension. I aim to have at least one entry for each child at the end of every week.

I change my activities daily, however I always have a writing center, a phonics/spelling center, and a sight word center (my guided reading table is the last one). Within those groups, I color-code folders so I can differentiate between the groups. I will also substitute crafts when appropriate (Groundhog's Day, Thanksgiving, etc). Sometimes I find this can become time consuming (even when some activities can be stretched out for 2 days) so I've been trying to find a way to keep this set-up without having to create about 10 centers every week.
PSUgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

FinallyWritin

A style
Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my style, but I believe that stations should be very personalized (to the students and the teacher). I'm very similar to rth. I have 4 stations and each child goes to a station for 15 minutes. They stay with the same group for 2 days (2 stations per day). I like this because I still have time for a warm up and a whole group lesson. I teach writing only (not all of ELAR), but I have a spelling station, writing station, game station and a station with me. I put everything the students will need in a page protector (paper, instructions, copies, etc) and they turn them in at the end of the day. By the end of the 2 days I have everyone's papers and can grade them (if necessary).
FinallyWritin is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHER1/2

Managing Stations
Old 01-14-2012, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Grade 1/2-Last year I had a very large class and such an "interesting" group I don't think I could have managed the following, but this year has worked out well...so far
Bell Work is printing in their agenda (I wondered, being new to primary how to be time effective with the agendas) so I decided to have my agenda open on the ELMO when they enter and after they pick up their independent reading basket on the way to their desk. Printing in their agenda has been practising finding the right date spot, practising upper and lower case letters, correct punctuation, legibility etc. and often a small message e.g. Ask me what I have learned about penguins? It has also worked out to be a great way to learn days and months and capitals! Following that I sometimes put up my lap top with a pic from coolpics on the ELMO and the students can express what they think the pic is (inference) and they have to explain their thinking by giving a reason orally (I think it is a ____because). I have preset groups by reading level who are directed to centres by me using a column sheet each day. I have a 1. big book station with a reading "wand", 2. a writing centre (free writing or follows a mini lesson on a specific genre), 3. word work with various activities...magnetic letters, high frequency, working with words from the word wall etc., 4. computer reading and writing-Starfall, Wiggleworks, 5. a guided table for reading with the teacher, 6. a shared table on which I place a basket each morning with leveled books and a follow up activity from Momentum (Scholastic) where a small group will read independently and 7. independent reading at their desk or on the carpet near the class library. I set a time for the computer if there are more than 2 children in that group so they will switch..while waiting they can paint or go to a listening centre, read independently etc.. I am keeping it simple for my sake and theirs with 7 centres...there are always other things to add such as a drama centre but so far I have been fortunate with things that are generally quiet for others who are reading. The block is 100 minutes and I have found that I can circulate to each centre as well as read with individuals, work with the shared reading group and provide some 1-1 with lower students.
Rather than change centres daily, when I feel the time is getting long I have the leader student shake the tamborine and we go to carpet to do weather, 100 chart (I use cm cubes and have the leader tape them to each box of the 100 chart and when we come to
regroup them at 10's they put them together and we talk about place value, then onto calendar and the morning message. This might extend or not happen until the following block. The following block is Writing followed by Math.

Last edited by TEACHER1/2; 01-14-2012 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Adding next block
TEACHER1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote