Help

Center Activities

Need suggestions for noise level control

>

cupcake1022

Need suggestions for noise level control
Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My kids seem to know what to do and how to do the activities in stations, it's just the noise level (for me) is just too loud. I have tried reminding them to use their 'movie theatre' voice, etc, but the noise just creeps up. Some teachers at my school have their kids work in stations silently, but I don't want that extreme either. Any neat ideas to help motivate my kids to be quieter? Thanks!

cupcake1022 is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This week I'm trying this. I got a jar and told the kids if they were whisper quiet during centers they would get one marble. They could get a second one if they clean up after themselves. Once the jar is full they get a treat. I will prob bake something. But to them it is a surprise. During centers I give one reminder to whisper. After that no marble.
afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote

live random

Yadda-yadda
Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've seen on the Whole Brain teaching site a tool Chris uses for volume called the "Volume-o-meter." He just draws a quick meter with "frenzy" at the top and "silent" at the bottom and "yadda yadda" in the middle. I think he even had "yelling" between the "yadda yadda" and "frenzy". Quickly he would point to the middle and the kids would mirror his hand moving up and down the meter saying"yadda" in the approparite volume. If they were at the "frenzy" they were screaming "yadda" adn if they were at the bottom they were barely wispering "yadda". Moving up and down and changing thier volume was a bit of a reminder to them. Then he would stop them at the volume they need to be and tell them to continue working. This really only took a few seconds to do.
live random is offline   Reply With Quote

seellmer85

Old 11-02-2011, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a bell (like at a store that you ring for service) and my students are aware that if I ring the bell once, that is the their warning that the noise level is creeping up too high. I usually warn them several times before a double ring, and a double ring means that we go to silent independent work. (I usually only make them work independently for a few minutes). This seems to be working, I started out having to ring it every few minutes, but as the year has progressed some days I don't have to ring it at all. I teach 5th grade, so I know sometimes they get really excited about what they are doing and they just need a reminder.
seellmer85 is offline   Reply With Quote

mybuddynecco

noise level
Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do centers with my 1st grade... depending on what they are doing it is very easy for noise levels to go up. What I did was set my timer on my phone 6 min or so... its not a very loud timer so they have to use their inside voices so they can hear the timer go off. This seemed to work bc they like to tell me that it is time to switch & if they are too loud they can't do that. Also, when we first started doing centers I kept the door shut... but now I remind them that I can leave to door open bc they now know how to use their inside voices. It just takes practice and lots of reminders of how you want your centers to run. They know that centers is the FUN way to learn and don't want to give that up!!

mybuddynecco is offline   Reply With Quote

NarrativeC

Try getting some red, yellow and green
Old 12-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Solo/plastic cups. Stack them with green on top, yellow in middle, red on bottom. When the group gets too loud, tell them to take the green cup off, and now they are on yellow (warning.) If they continue with being too loud, take the yellow cup off, they are now on red, and they have to stop the activity, go back to their seats and be silent for 5 minutes. Using the visual of the cups really helps. I often ask the loudest student in the group to move the cup--the physical movement sometimes helps cue for a lower volume. I teach 3rd and it works for me.
NarrativeC is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderPA

try a "yacker tracker"
Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I call this a yacker tracker and show it on the smartboard during stations if we are not using the smartboard for a station. It shows them how loud they are working. You have to mute the volume for it to work. It's a great visual for them as they are working. The level is adjustable to your preference.
http://www.ictgames.com/calmCounter.html
kinderPA is offline   Reply With Quote

unchnmel

Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just found an interesting noise reminder that I'm going to try this year. Using a music box, wind it to its fullest on Monday. During center time, if the class gets too loud, start the music box. If the music does not have to be started that day, the students get to color in a letter in "super centers". When full, they get a treat. Also if there is still music left in the music box at the end of the week, students get a special reward. I haven't tried it yet and it is adapted from reading resource .net
unchnmel is offline   Reply With Quote

shaley

Have you ever
Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

heard of the term putting a ceiling on volume? If you use music at a normal (medium) listening volume and remind the students that they must be able to hear the music this will give them a ceiling to their own voices. This works very well with younger students especially when you play music they really like.
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeny

Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I recently attended a PD on CHAMPS. Loved it.

I will be implementing it in my classroom this year. For those who are unsure of what it is, C-conversation, H-help, A-activity, M- movement, P- participation, and S-success.

Basically, I have a poster for each activity (teacher directed, independent seat work, and group work)

For each activity, there are special requirements. Example, for independent work:
C- voice level 0-1
H - raise hand, ask teacher
A- Independent work
M- Stay in seats ask teacher to move
P - work on assignment, don't talk, focus.

Every time a lesson changes, I put a clip on the corresponding poster.

The PD informed me it works.. but it depends on you, the teacher. You have to be consistent, and you need to remind the students, especially in the beginning. She even told us that a classroom job can be for a student to change the clip, and that gets them very excited.

Jeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Noise Control Poster and Pinterest Ideas
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I tracked down an old post where I attached a 'Noise Control Poster'. It also has an explanation of how to use it. (It's #8 on this thread)
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=163252

Since then, I've seen lots of variations of this type of poster. You can take a look through my Pinterest board where I have a collection of ideas for Behavior Management in the classroom. (In case you're not familiar with Pinterest, click on the thumbnail image of the idea you want to see, then click again to get to the webpage it came from. There are usually explanations for that image and, sometimes, ways to download for free via Google Docs, Teachers Pay Teachers, Scribd, etc.)
http://pinterest.com/alwayslearning/...-in-classroom/
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote