Help

Center Activities

Stealing Center Materials

>

benosayi

Stealing Center Materials
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year I have had alot of issues with students stealing. Legos, building material, game pieces and wipe off markers. When I was absent someone stole Vsmile cartridges(3) and a hand held v smile. I really need to spend more time on teaching students about stealing. What are some of you doing? It got so bad that I had to close the math centers for a week. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

benosayi is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Same here
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had the same problem. When I was out for a couple of days, I came back to fins leveled readers, manipulatives, and game pieces missing. One parent brought some of the items back after finding them in the students backpack. The other things were just gone. I had to shut down some station areas because the materials were gone. I also hand a long talk with my students about using and respecting the materials of the classroom. I also demonstrated why certain stations had to closed for the remainder of the year .
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thriller293

Stealing
Old 06-25-2012, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was out for 2 weeks with Jury Duty. When I returned, I notice a lot of space on my once filled centers shelf. I sent a note home to parents stating that I did not send the items home & to please return them if found. Once mother came in with a trash bag full! She looked like Santa opening his sack. Unfortunately, some of the cards, tiles, game pieces, etc. were missing, so I still can't use them. Most of the items were from Lakeshore & Really Good Stuff, so I won't be replacing them any time soon.
Thriller293 is offline   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had some things missing and asked the child that has expressed much interest in them and had taken things before if she had them. At first she said no but came to me later and confessed. I contacted the Mom and told her the situation. She said she would return them. The next day the child came in with nothing, I sent another note to which the mom replied, "I'm too busy to deal with it!" :-( I have this child again this year so am preparing myself to lose more things because she is being taught it is ok to take things.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Same issue
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had the same issue as well. I start the year offf with a discussion with stealing (maybe the second week of school). I talk about what the classroom would be like if each year I had kids staeling from the room...and what would not be available to the current class. I also do a role playing (I actually take something from someone's backpack) and show that I took it and see how the student feels (I talk to the student before doing this).

Ive had to send home a note to parents when I discover things missing and sometimes the stuff comes back. I do know that I lose a percentage of my classroom every year. Sad but true.

I also am very honest with the kids about how much fun it must be to have these things in their own bedroom (like dice which get stolen a lot) and then have a discussion about what if everyone took what they wanted.

I have had chronic stealers and have had to check their backpacks on a daily basis. I never go through kids backpacks unless the child is there as I go through it.

I have conversations every so often about stealing. I dont just discuss it once and then assume that they will remember it. Revisit the discussion often (several times a year( and it really does help.

I dont thi

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

coppsma

Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have had that problem too, but it was a prek class and I fully expected it to happen the second year. Four to five yo students have a difficult time determining if something they want really bad is considered stealing. The second year I sent home a note outlining my expectations of their children and reminding them that if they find something in a pocket or backpack that they did not send to school it probably came from the classroom and should be returned the next day. I also talked about how the children work in centers and that the materials in the centers are my personal property and if too many things disappeared I would have to close the centers and the students would end up sitting at tables working on worksheets. I think parents don't realize that many teachers are not supplied with materials or have a very small classroom budget. Of course, I wrote it up very nicely. I did not have many things disappear that year.
coppsma is offline   Reply With Quote

mishkaoreo

Ask
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tell my kids to ASK me and I will let them use the materials or sometimes even take them home to use. They need to return them the next day. This helps, because they know they can have them if they ASK and it deters some of the stealing.
mishkaoreo is offline   Reply With Quote