Help

Educational Technology

Children's Web Browser

>

techie29

Children's Web Browser
Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was visiting a school recently and the teacher shared with me a new-ish web browser for children; Kiddle.co It is put out by Google and is kid friendly websites and images etc. Has anyone used it with their students or in the classroom? How do the students like using it versus the "real" Google?

techie29 is offline   Reply With Quote

gab2xena

Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it with my younger kids k, 1 and 2...I use regular google for upper grades. I like it very well because it filters content and is less busy...easier for students to read. I also use one called kidrex.org which is another google kid friendly search site.
gab2xena is offline   Reply With Quote

CHenard

Kiddle
Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You might want to read about it on Common Sense Media. It's my go-to site for checking out the appropriateness of games, sites, etc. I would probably use kiddle with kids but it doesn't score well on violence and scariness. There is also some controversy about words like gay and transgender being blocked. CSM doesn't give it a great score on consumerism.

It is not put out by Google. This is what Common Sense Media says:

Some users may assume this website is from Google, since Google Safe Search is prominently mentioned, its privacy policy says the site is powered by Google custom search -- and its logo echoes Google's logo colors. But Google's published list of products doesn't include Kiddle; and several sources, including BBC News and CBC News, have said there's no affiliation.

I hope that was helpful. Like I said earlier, I would still use it with kids.
CHenard is offline   Reply With Quote