Help

Gifted Education

CoGAT results

>

Greenmommy22

CoGAT results
Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would love some tips on communicating with parents who are disappointed about their child's scores. Who has gone through this and how do you have these discussions in an empathetic but firm way (as in, they aren't allowed to retake it).

Thanks!

Greenmommy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 10-28-2018, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While I am not familiar with the CoGat, in my state, the requirements for qualifying for gifted services is tough and complex. Every year, I have to have a meeting with at least one parent and break the news that their child did not qualify.

I try to focus on the positives--their child is obviously very bright to have even been considered for the gifted program. I stress that participation in the gifted program is not necessary (at least in my state and district) to take accelerated classes, AP or dual enrollment classes in high school. A child does not have to be certified as gifted to work hard, make good grades, and become valedictorian. Universities and graduate schools are full of kids who never participated in the gifted program. In short, I sympathize that this small setback is disappointing, but it will not limit future opportunities for their child.

In my state, students who do not qualify for gifted services based on the school psychologist's evaluation can qualify if the parents takes them to an approved private psychologist (at the parents' expense) and the child earns the necessary scores. However, the private psych must give a different IQ test than what the school gave. I always tell the parents this--some are willing to pay for additional testing and some are not. If your district or state does not have any kind of alternate pathway toward qualification, then I would just stress that you don't make the rules, you just have to follow them. You wish they could be re-tested, but they can't.

Whenever I have a DNQ (did not qualify) meeting that I think might be especially difficult, I always give my principal a heads up in advance, so she will be sure to have my back.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Greenmommy22

Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is such helpful advice. I think focusing on the positives could make a really big difference with some of these upset parents. Iíll give it a try! Thanks!
Greenmommy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Scores
Old 04-04-2019, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't use CoGat - we use SAGES-3 - but same issue...

I always explain percentiles to the parents, as opposed to percentages. With a percentile 50 is an average A/B student, it's comparable to a 100 IQ, it's average... for gifted, a student needs to reach the 90th percentile (or whatever your qualifying score is)... when you start getting to 60-70th percentiles, you are now hitting above average, bright student, will be successful in Pre-AP/AP programs, but not gifted. When I explain to them that the score shows their child is bright and that I would strongly recommend them for the Pre-AP program when they get to middle school.. it's not quite high enough to qualify them for the pullout program at elementary.... they seem to be more Ok with it than just "didn't qualify."

Why can they not retake? We offer an appeal process, where other evidence of giftedness can be considered (portfolios, inventories, interviews, etc.) and we have also retested with a different test... but any student can retest after one year.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote