Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Help with an interview!

>

Bellomy

Help with an interview!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey folks, looking for advice for a teaching interview. Background:
To make a long story short, I am graduating this summer with a tri-degree in Religion, Social Sciences, and Computer Science (officially a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies, but those are the specialties).

I am currently in online school full time (22 credits this semester!), and started applying to teaching jobs. You see I am a substitute teacher (only occasional due to spending days on schoolwork a lot of the time, but I do it) and I have a ton of teaching education from earlier in my college career (long, boring story as to how I got to this point), including in Curriculum Design, Cognition and Learning, Educational Literacy, and General Education, plus around 55 observation hours.

I'm also a published author and editor with a Liberal Arts Associates. This is relevant.

So after going to a job fair and meeting several people I am applying to teaching jobs at local Catholic schools...and I actually get an interview!

The interview is for a 5th-6th grade Language Arts/Social Studies middle school position. Needless to say I am beyond thrilled.

Of course, I know compared to others my experience is peanuts. Do you guys have any advice as to how I should handle this interview? Right now my strategy is to try and come up with answers to every potential question I may have thrown at me and build my portfolio as comprehensively as possible. I'm trying to leverage my substituting as a legit substitute (haha) for student teaching.

So far my portfolio contains my resume, my substitute teaching certificate, a sample lesson plan for a fifth grade language arts course. I'm planning on also making a sample unit curriculum for both language arts and social studies and making another lesson plan for probably 6th grade social studies. I don't have much in the way of references but I got two former bosses at a retail job, a partner of mine from a charity I helped run briefly, and my old general education professor. I'm working on crafting a careful philosophy of education as well (based on the preventative method of St. John Bosco).

In order to have a shot here I need to make it clear I REALLY know my stuff and am on the ball, and I need to prove as definitively as possible that I can handle these responsibilities. If you guys can offer me any help I'd deeply appreciate it.

Also - I decided I'd be using hard copies of my educational portfolio. I'll be printing it out and putting them in nice binders to give to the interviewers.
Thank you!

Bellomy is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-10-2019, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You've done a lot of work and are really preparing for the interview!! I've done a lot of interviewing this spring and I've been on both sides of the table. I'm not sure how much help my advice will because at the end of the day I've decided that I don't know much about what administrators want or are looking for. Here's my two cents:
1. Come up with some questions that you have about the school. They are interviewing you but...you are interviewing them too. Is the school a good fit for you? What do you need to know to make that decision?
2. Look at the school's webpage. What information can you find out about the school and how can you work it into the interview questions? As an example, our school does a lot of positive recognition of students and you can see that on our webpage/FB feed. If a candidate works that into their answers, it helps.
3. Our administration actually prefers candidates with no experience. She perceives them as moldable. Emphasize your experience and passion for the job but also your flexibility and openness to feedback and new ideas.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote