Help

Kindergarten

Any feedback

>

Mugs

Any feedback
Old 06-06-2019, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

EL Education Program - EL Reading Program for kindergarten.

Anyone using it and has feedback about it?

Mugs is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

El
Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use EL in my district and I don't like it. There is a workbook for students but they don't use it daily. The kids don't get a chance to write or practice comprehension skills daily. But they discuss and share and answer the same questions each day. I would like it better if there was time to really teach comprehension, writing and grammar. Another problem I have is the number of anchor charts needed for 1 lesson. You can use as many as 5 in a 60 minute lesson.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Old 06-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for your feedback!!

What do you think of the Skill Block? Does it repeat teaching of the letters and the letter sounds? Does it teach/cover phonemic awareness skills well? Does it cover letter formation-how to write each letter? Does it teach how to hear the sounds in words (for example CVC words) and to write the letters? How does EL do on covering how to form a sentence with capital letter, spaces between words, capitalizing proper nouns, and puting the correct punctuation mark (period, question mark, or explanation mark) at the end of the sentence?

Does it really teach "trees" through two modules = 3 months worth!? Do the kids stay on task through that? I love trees, but I would have enough talking and dealing with trees and what animals get what from trees - after 2 to 3 weeks. 3 months would make me not want to enjoy another tree in my life.

Are the anchor charts what has the. . . what I call CRISS Strategies -on them? . . The turn to your neighbor - pair, share- turning back to back with our partner when your group work is done . . etc???

Do you do the full Labs? What time is needed to set everything up? With no planning period, we would have to prep for this after school for the next day on our own time. Preparing for lessons, reading a "novel" of teacher's books to figure out what you are having the student do during the next day -jumping from one teacher book to another (not teacher friendly), and teaching in a totally different way (cooperative learning groups') most of the time, instead of once in a while -these things have me dragging my feet towards this program.

essence253

Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district did not purchase the phonics components. We use Journeys for phonics only. We were not required to use the labs because we just didn't have time. All of the anchor charts are in the supporting materials book. Some are what you call CRISS strategies. I still had to make some. We were using so much paper on the poster maker and lamination on anchor charts my p just had us project them on the smart board when we needed them.

Yes there are 2 modules on trees and the kids got pretty bored with it. It's difficult to to keep to the timeline. An hour is a huge block of time but the way it's broken up doesn't work. In some lessons students have too much time to work and in others too little. They are asked to engage with the text in ways that are inappropriate. The close reading asked the same question repeatedly. By the end of the week the students are done and have no enthusiasm for the book.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mugs

Old 06-13-2019, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you!