Help

Educational Technology

Need curriculum help - middle school technology

>

tlcwade

Need curriculum help - middle school technology
Old 07-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am moving from 2nd grade to middle school technology this year. I am teaching 5th - 8th grades and will be responsible to teaching them typing and other computer skills. I am planning to use Google and have already created groups for each grade. We do not have Google Classroom yet. I'm planning on working on that. My concerns are this and I'm hoping I can get some input/insight:

1. I don't have a curriculum. Any suggestions?

2. I'm not even sure where to begin. Like seriously beyond first day stuff of rules and get to know you, I have no idea what to do...I'm starting to freak out a little.

3. I want each kid to sign up for a Google email. How do I regulate/police that? Do I really have to? I would like them to have a specific email for school and not really use it for everything else in the world but does that really matter? There are no specific policies in place for this sort of thing?

4. Do you have a user agreement or have students sign something saying they will use technology appropriately?

I forgot to mention we are a public charter school so we can are not tied very much to a district so I welcome any and all suggestions.

Also forgot to mention that we start school Tuesday as we are year round. Other than a fairly decent knowledge of and love for technology, I don't have much going for me. HELP!!!

tlcwade is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow you have a big job ahead - but one with such exciting possibilities. I can't help you at all with the curriculum side of things as I'm not sure what is expected of you over there - I'm in New Zealand. I'm also teaching primary age kids, so the kids I'm managing are 7-11 years old. This might get long. Sorry. I'm a bit passionate about digital education, hopefully I'm on the right path for you.

- From the google account side of things - I would suggest urgently finding out who your school google admin is - and if you don't have one, either getting one or taking on the role yourself. Then all the kids accounts will be educational accounts. If they just make personal ones then managing them will be near impossible. And I have a feeling that the laws in the US mean that the kids accounts have to be managed anyway.
Once you have an admin account you can make all the kids accounts for them. I use hapara management console so monitor my kids accounts - it means I can see all their docs and emails, and their deleted folders too. I wouldn't be without it, but I know there are alternative options.

- I do have user agreements, Part of my user agreement with my kids is that school accounts are for school work only. They don't do anything in there that they wouldn't want me to see, because they know I can see everything. I also have a rule of no personal accounts on the school system. No external drives are to be put onto the school system - I don't need their viruses! Google accounts make that unnecessary anyway as they can use cloud storage. I googled a bunch of agreements for other schools that I know have good stuff going on, and then took the parts that I wanted. I would suggest that you look at getting some policies in place too - around user agreements, access to technology, and use of accounts on the school system. Its not something that can happen overnight, but you need it to protect yourself and the school.

The things I teach my kids are about digital safety, digital footprints, communication online, collaboration and creation. Find out what your kids use already, how they use it, and what they need to know. If its things like snapchat, roblox etc then I would suggest looking into something to combat digital grooming in your curriculum - at that age they are hiding stuff from their parents and many parents are absolutely clueless about what their kids are doing online. What they use already will give you a big clue into where you need to go. I would guess that they are fearless both about learning new tech, and with regard to their own digital safety. I'm assuming you only see each group for a short time each day?

In terms of curriculum this is what I would do, but then I'm bring an NZ education perspective - I don't know what you need, or what your kids need! This is how I start with my 7 year olds.
Once you have google accounts for everyone, then I would start walking them through the google apps. They need to learn how to create docs and do things within them, but also how to use the 'digital' aspects safely and confidently. They need to know how to name docs, move them into folders, how to insert elements into the docs, and the explore button is a whole term of lessons for me!
Teach them how to +___ email accounts in the comments to add their friends in, how to comment on each others docs. Long term I would set up a set of rules around collaboration and commenting - what does a good comment look like, how do we work in the same doc without deleting each other's work, how to work together to collaborate on a task.
For google I always start with google docs and google slides.
If you are looking for inspiration for yourself in the google suite then go through the training modules for google educator. They are fabulous.
Assuming you are on computers I would also look at the new book creator, and explain everything apps for communication and collaboration, but that will depend on your budget. Google is free once you have the education accounts (with unlimited storage!)
Oops - told you I would get long. I could go on for hours! If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help out - but I'll get off my soapbox and give someone else a chance for now!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1. I don't have a curriculum. Any suggestions?
I would look up the ISTE standards.
https://www.iste.org/standards/standards/for-students
Or the technology standards from your state.

2. I'm not even sure where to begin. Like seriously beyond first day stuff of rules and get to know you, I have no idea what to do...I'm starting to freak out a little.
You have one thing on your side is pretty much if you have a computer, students are usually already interested. Kids love using devices. So that's going to help.

3. I want each kid to sign up for a Google email. How do I regulate/police that? Do I really have to? I would like them to have a specific email for school and not really use it for everything else in the world but does that really matter? There are no specific policies in place for this sort of thing?
I would not just let the kids sign up for a Google email. I would get permission from your school to have a Google domain set up. All you have to do is buy a domain, like from GoDaddy. Then using that domain, sign your school up for a Google domain. You will have to sign up for Business. Once you have the domain, you can switch it to Google for Education. That way you don't have to pay for it. You will just have to pay for the GoDaddy account once a year. Ours was only $10.
What exactly do you want them to have the email for? There are different settings that you can turn on. You can have no email for students, only email teachers, only email in the domain, email anyone.
You definitely need permission slips from parents. We use an opt out form. If they do not want their child to have an account, they sign and send it back.
My district has decided not to give emails to elementary students. I agree. We can communicate enough through Google Classroom. I think emails just open up doors to problems.

4. Do you have a user agreement or have students sign something saying they will use technology appropriately?
Our district has an acceptable computer use policy. Every student has to sign it (or their parent) each year. That way if they do something they shouldn't, you have the agreement.

Good luck!
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Fcl5555

Common sense media
Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Common sense media has a lot of Digital citizenship curriculum for students based off grade levels
Fcl5555 is offline   Reply With Quote