Help

Sixth Grade

6th

>

BCK

6th
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year in 6th grade. What behavior management works best? Thanks!

BCK is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 06-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For me, I make my expectations clear from the beginning and set routines early-on. I speak to them in a way that shows that I realize they are older and not little kids anymore and that I expect them to take responsibility for their behaviors. I don't use any particular "system"--no clip charts, etc. If there are issues that cannot be handled one-on-one, I email parents or refer to our administrator who deals with behaviors, depending on the situation.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

FlyfishGuy

Old 07-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught 6th grade for 37 years in one district so I got to know 6th graders pretty well. I believe prechrswife gave you some spot-on great advice. Establish expectations in those first weeks and then stick to them. I used to emphasize that this is a new year and they can make it what they want it to be. I made it clear to them that I was going to form my opinions of them based on what I saw from them and not from what I might hear from former teachers and that I expected them to do the same with me.
I also think the students need to see that you are fair in how you handle situations involving students. I tried to treat everyone the same as much as I could.
Finally, I found that if you presented yourself as a down-to earth person to parents and as one who cared about their child(as we do) then they could be your strongest ally.
My wife is still teaching 4th grade and we both find that students will usually test limits and find what they can/can't do. Consistency is the key. And make sure they know you care about them.
I was far from a perfect teacher but I did okay. These things worked for me from 1981 to2018.
Good luck.
FlyfishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote