Help

Kindergarten

I get a Kindergarten Kitchen

>

k28

I get a Kindergarten Kitchen
Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is overwheming! What websites do you recommend to look at? Anyone have any pictures to share?

Some of the dimensions are so small....some of the kitchens are nicer than my own kitchen...some are just visually overwhelming.

Please help me to simplify this! What kitchen do you have that your recommend (or don't recommend) and where did you order from?

k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am excited for you! Too often we hear about school districts removing play from kindergarten. Yay for you and your students!

It depends on the amount of space you have in your classroom. One of my colleagues had a pretty elaborate one that was huge, but this year our K classes are moving into smaller classrooms and that kitchen set won't fit in her new room. She has to get a smaller one.

I have a Little Tikes kitchen that one of my friends gave me. (Her sister had it for when her grandkids were little.) It is simple. When it is open, it is about 48" wide. When it is closed about 24" wide.

Truthfully I think that you will find that it doesn't matter to the kids which one you pick. They will be happy that you have one. My kitchen set is old and seen better days, but it is always a favorite center in my classroom. One colleague's is newer, bigger and has more bells and whistles than mine and her students loved it. Years ago, my students and I made a pretend kitchen out of cardboard boxes I brought in and that was a big hit in my classroom, too. No matter which one you pick, your students will enjoy it.

When selecting one, consider the space you have for it, the number of students who will use it at one time and how easily it can be converted into other things. Think about storage, too. Since my kitchen is small, I use one of those plastic three-drawer carts to store food, dishes, utensils, aprons and other things like shopping lists/pencils, menus.

Children have wonderful imaginations. You can add play-doh, rolling pins, cookie trays and cookie cutters and cupcake wrappers to turn it into a bakery. My principal was a customer at our "Chinese restaurant." Allow students to use yarn, straws, foam, felt, construction paper to create things like food, placemats, menus, decorations.

Have fun!
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How exciting! Just make sure that when you get one it's not a toddler/preschool size. Those are the ones that are too small. If you can get a Lakeshore one they are always very durable. Otherwise I'd go with one of the school supply companies or maybe even Melissa and Doug.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote