Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

let's talk school supplies...what do you use

>

Miller

let's talk school supplies...what do you use
Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be teaching 7/8 resource ELA and Math. I can make my own supply list.

What do you use in ELA and Math?

What do you put in these:
binders
folders
spiral notebooks
composition books

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Supplies
Old 08-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 6th grade math, reading, and social studies. General Ed with inclusive sped students.

Math: I found composition books worked well for me. It gave me the flexibility of having students take notes, create examples, glue some things in if needed, yet also use it as an interactive notebook upon occasion. Students were encouraged to keep good notes as they were allowed to use their notebooks during most (but not all) assessments. Once they did, they seemed to connect with their notes, knowing THEY had the help in their notebooks. I felt that the ability to utilize that skill was important in other areas of their lives, especially for low students.

Reading: again, a composition book. Divided into 4 sections: First was reserved for reading skill notes, second was reserved for novel studies, third was Greek/Latin roots, fourth was a sort of ad hoc glossary of any terms needing to be addressed. Also, I had my husband cut the composition books in half with his table saw (he always used a sharpened blade for a clean cut). The smaller size was handy: less intimidating when writing, especially during novel studies (they felt proud when filling a page or two - even if they were smaller pages and the writing was generally finer), slipped into binders easily and many times was about the same size as the novel book.

Personally, I didn’t like binders, but some of my sped students liked having all their “stuff” in one place. I didn’t like spiral notebooks as the pages came out too easily.

You may wish to put a similar post on the Busy Board as it’s a bit more active.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My ELA list . . .
  • loose-leaf paper
  • folder
  • composition book
  • highliters
  • pencils
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Things that are improtant-
Old 08-06-2019, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use my classroom budget to get identical quad ruled composition books for math and wide ruled composition books for ELA. I provide a couple of pencils at the beginning and mid-year.

In our state, we are not allowed to give other than "suggested supplies" lists, and we must provide anything the students need. this includes all paper and writing instruments.
Singvogel is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

ELA Only
Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They must have - a plastic 2-pocket folder, a single subject notebook, a writing utensil, and a free reading book with them each day in order to be considered prepared for class.

I have a 3-tiered cart that has sundry supplies, because we are very low income. My cart has crayons, colored pencils, markers, highlighters, gluesticks, rulers, black ink pens, scissors, and big erasers. Anything they need is there. If we are doing something together, I’ll put the supplies out for everyone. If it’s one kid who forgot a pencil or whatever, they give me their reward punch card (PBIS school). They get their punch card back when they return my supplies.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For math I need each student to have a spiral or composition notebook. They need to have a pencil, glue, dry erase marker, and scissors at all times. I also take up a package of notebook paper from each kid.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

La
Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students don't need to buy anything except pencils. Of course, many don't even bring that and we are told not to say anything to them

Our school provides them with folders and notebooks. I order highlighters and pens and stuff from the school.

I don't use binders as the school won't buy these and they can't seem to avoid tearing them apart.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote