Help

Kindergarten

Discipline Plan

>

scissorz

Discipline Plan
Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’m looking for a “new” discipline plan for our k classroom. In the past, we have pulled cards for making poor choices. TIA for new ideas!

scissorz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-11-2019, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love both responsive classroom and love and logic. Both are about creating community, positive language and feedback, giving choices and teaching them how to make good choices, and natural consequences. That said, I like to have some positive rewards in place to help encourage desired behaviors, especially for the beginning of the year. I change things periodically, but I like to have some kind of class-wide positive reinforcement as well as individual. I've never found that clip charts or pulling cards or anything like that actually helps with behaviors.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

kindiesarefun

Old 08-29-2019, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also love Responsive Classroom. When children feel a part of a community and have their basic social and emotional needs met their behavior usually falls into line. Clear expectations, modeling expected behavior, explicitly teaching social skills...these strategies will eliminate most of your behavior problems. The few children who do not respond will need their own tier two program. No need to use a program for the whole class, I have found.
Good luck!
kindiesarefun is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Celebrate!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To encourage them, we often have 30 second dance parties to celebrate their cooperation and hard work. We have lots of action brain breaks, using a lot of go noodle.

I don’t believe in anything that publicly shames a child. If the class is not following our routines, we stop and I model again what I expect, and we practice. Lots of specific praise when they get it right.

Sometimes a student will need to calm down so I have a space with a timer they can go to for a break. And there’s always the old “time out” chair, which I call the “thinking chair” for obvious bad choices (eg. hands on another student, playfully but not appropriate, or “potty words.” )

I do love this age- they really want to please, you just need to teach them what you need them to do, and hold them to it.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote