Second Grade

Skip 2nd Grade Math

>

Relearner

Skip 2nd Grade Math
Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, Second Grade Teachers!
Iím a Fourth Grade Teacher whose granddaughter is going into Second Grade this fall. She has the option of skipping Second Grade Math and doing Third Grade Math instead. My daughter wonders whether or not her daughter should skip ahead. I donít know what Math Series the school uses.
What are the pros and cons of working ahead?
Thank you!

Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I often worry when skipping ahead that children lose foundational mathematical understanding of concepts that are necessary for success in algebra, geometry and calculus.

However, some children are bright enough to handle it. Another consideration is if the child has the language and ability to fully explain math concepts. Being able to solve advanced problems is one thing. Being able to explain the how and why is deep understanding of concepts.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Thank You!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will share your ideas with my daughter.
You brought up some concerns that should be carefully considered.
I appreciate your advice!

Keltikmom

Skip math
Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a second grade teacher, I would advise against it. Her teacher could find ways to challenge her by letting her explain concepts, problem solving apps, khan Academy etc.

Arsabl gave good advice.

I had two children like this one year. The concern about skipping was...then what will the third grade teacher do? Will they do all third grade math in second grade, then 4th grade math in3rd grade? Itís possible they could go to the other grade just for math...but eventually the socialization could get awkward.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will pass on your words of wisdom to my daughter. You shared some important things to think about. I appreciate it!

sevenplus

Old 06-07-2019, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My son skipped 2nd grade math. The district officially grade-accelerated him in math at the end of first grade. Our elementaries are K-5. In 5th grade I dropped him off at a middle school in the morning. He took math 1st period then they bussed him to his elementary school.

He took high school algebra during his 8th grade year.

In retrospect I probably wouldn't do it again. In 5th grade he resented going to school an hour longer than his classmates. He developed a very bad attitude about math that year that may or may not have happened if he stayed on his regular grade level course.

I wish his second grade math teacher just found ways to extend the curriculum for him instead of skipping the whole year.

I don't think he missed foundational skills. As a little guy he had quite a mathematical mind. In kindergarten he figured out the concept of multiplication on his own and I remember him at 5 discovering that 2 is the only even prime number.

Now he hates math.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used Moby Max for my advanced student this year. If he finished the regular work, he opened up a chrome book and did as many lessons as he could. The program places him at his level and then advanced him when he has mastered a concept. He's teaching himself Algebra right now, he says.

We also had a volunteer retired teacher come in once a week and pulled him and another student for more higher level math thinking with Sunshine Math - just a little ahead of their grade level. This student has a weakness in 3-d spatial, building with Legos, etc., so he needed to be pushed to work in those areas.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Thank you, 7 plus and Song of Joy!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I will pass on your posts to my daughter. You bring up so many good points to consider.
Thanks!

slg

Old 06-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's tough at the beginning of the year because there is so much time spent reviewing. It really feels like a boring step backward for many kids although soon the pace picks up and the students are off and running. My concerns for your DGD would be with vocabulary and being able to explain her steps to a solution if she hasn't been adequately exposed to some of the second grade skills like adding/subtracting multi-digit numbers and multiplication, measurement, and geometry vocab.

My school also used a computer program with built in lessons.Students went at their own pace. I think it was called Iready, but before that I would use other programs to challenge the higher learners. I would also sometimes use Sunshine Math like Song of Joy. It can be a lot of work for a teacher to prepare different lessons. Do you know if your DGD would actually be taught in a 3rd grade classroom? It would be great for her to have the opportunity to be engaged in the material and learning at her level. The logistics could be tricky.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Thank you, sig!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes, my granddaughter would go to a 3rd grade classroom for math. I will share your thoughts with my daughter. Thank you!!!

Thank you, slg (not sig)!

Last edited by Relearner; 06-09-2019 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Misspelled poster’s initials

Smurfyteach

Read this about iready
Old 08-31-2019, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thought this was worth sharing.

https://mathexchanges.wordpress.com/...-is-dangerous/
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 08-31-2019, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I taught third grade(retired now) and had a first grader coming to my room for Math instruction. His skills far surpassed even my brightest third grader. He always came up with different strategies for how he solved math problems...some that werenít even taught.

Yes he lacked the maturity of a third grader but only being in first grade he did very well. I would say move her to third grade if she has the skills. She will do fine.

And an FYI on my particular student. After first grade, he ended up skipping second grade and I had him in my regular third grade class. And as a third grader he went to fourth grade for math.
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote