Help

Educational Technology

Punishment for cracked screen?

>

JustAnITGuy

Punishment for cracked screen?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We went 1:1 with chromebooks this year. A big issue we ran into was that our middle schoolers keep cracking/busting their screens. We weren't very prepared for 1:1. We decided that we would do repairs in house, but with all these cracked screens its overwhelming. The kids right now dont really face a punishment for having a busted screen. They just get a loaner and await a new screen.

Any good realistic punishments? We have thought about the idea of after 2 screen breaks they loose the privilege to take their chromebooks home.

Thanks in advance!

JustAnITGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Schooler

Old Schooler

Too Lenient
Old 10-30-2017, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First, find out how the screens were cracked. I would guess that most of the broken screens were caused by carelessness. Have all students been adequately trained on the proper care and handling of the Chromebooks? If not, this should be a top priority. The PCs should each have their own protective case and should not be carried loosely under one’s arm without one - the smooth, thin, slippery machines are too easily dropped. Maybe everyone should be allowed to remove the Chromebooks from the classroom only if they are transported in a backpack or satchel. Why not consider a strict one-strike policy regarding the consequences for a damaged computer (not limited to the screen)? Take-home privileges would be lost after one incident. Serious problems require a serious response.

Tawaki

Suggestion...
Old 10-30-2017, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My DD has an iPad issued by the district.

Cracked screen is fixed by insurance the first time.

Then it's iPad to be only used AT school. It is checked in an out at the office. It never leaves the school.

Next is you use the classroom iPad. You don't get to have one in your possession all the time. Only if you need it.

Finally, you get to rock it old school with no tech. From what I've heard from a parent, this is a living hell. Her kid had issues the first cracked screen and refused to cooperate checking it out at the office. The kid was bumped down to paper and pencil per parent agreement.

The issue is, almost everything is done curriculum wise via the iPad and Schoology. The kid's lessons have to be modified, and doing group projects is a nightmare.

There is a huge stigma if you are *that kid* who can't be trusted with tech. After the first cracked screen, almost everyone tries like hell not to do it again.

While you wait for the repair, you must use the classroom iPad. You don't get to take it home.

HTH
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Ucan

After-thought
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teachers are already overwhelmed with their teaching responsibilities. Instead of adding more to your plate, why not just let your principal deal with the school-wide problem (or not). Isn't that what they are paid the big bucks to do? Of course, if you are planning to go into administration, this may be a helpful feather in your cap!
Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just a thought here - I know this will be very unpopular. But I believe its a conversation we should be having. Sorry, its long and a bit ranty, but something that drives me crazy. And I'm not saying anyone is wrong - just that we do need to think about the idea if we truly believe 1:1 is the way to go.

If a kid screws up a piece of paper do we say "oh no, no more paper for you! You can't be trusted with paper. Here is an old school slate for you to use."
If we have committed to delivering the curriculum electronically, then I feel like complete removal of devices is a huge step. Unfortunately a device is a lot more expensive than a piece of paper, but we do need to ask ourselves the question - is this the best way to deliver the curriculum, and if so, can I block a child from accessing the curriculum in the way that is best?
If using a device is not the best way to access the curriculum, then why is anyone doing it? I could not sell that to the school leaders in my school - they would start to question why we even need them in the first place if I was removing access to them. And funding would dry up very fast!

Yes, there need to be consequences - I would never say we should not have some kind of consequence when negligent behaviour causes damage. What is your consequence if a child spills water on an expensive text book? What happens if they lose a library book? Where are the breakages happening? I just feel like our punishment needs to be comparable to the actions. Kids are careless, so we need have some way to limit the chances of damages happening. It is the cost of repairs/replacements for devices that makes it seem like a bigger thing, but in the end trusting them with a text book is kind of comparable to trusting them with a device. I need to trust that you will take care of this, and return it in a condition comparable to how it was when I gave it to you. Tawaki, I like the first 3 steps of you school's consequences.

I worry for the day when insurance for kid devices catches up with how much wear and tear they receive! Our excess is already higher than full replacement of a chrome book.

Added - I teach 8 and 9 year olds. Our devices stay at school. The only screen that has ever cracked in our school, over the last 6 years of having ipads in classes, was dropped by a teacher in the playground. Little kids are pretty protective of their devices so maybe they are more responsible than Middle School kids as its more exciting and new for them? Or maybe its just that I don't let them take them home.

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

JustAnITGuy

Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the replies! And just s little more info on our situation. We do have protective cases on them. About 95% of screens that get cracked happened at home or "in the locker over the weekend". Each way they have no clue how it could have happened it just cracked magically. Our Parent Agreement makes it to wear parents pay nothing if a kid breaks a device. We just replace and give back. We have had a few kids that have had multiple cracked screens.
JustAnITGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Biting!
Old 11-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My DIL had a middle school boy bite the screen of another kid's Chromebook in class. She had the two kids switch chromebooks, so the biter got the cracked screen. It was close to the end of the year and they were all being replaced over the summer--so that was it for consequences as I remember the story. Although, I think she did write a discipline referral and I don't know what came out of that.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote