Help

Third Grade

2/3 Combination Class- suggestions please

>

mrsmoose

2/3 Combination Class- suggestions please
Old 07-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have taught 2 for 14 years and 3rd the last two. Next year will be 18 2nd graders and 8 third graders. What suggestions do you have for managing 2 sets of curriculum/routines when possible. Any definite do's or don't ideas are welcome too. I am excited about the challenge, but am worried that I can't fit it all into a day. I tend to be an overachiever so I need to set realistic outcomes for myself.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

mrsmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Split Classes
Old 08-01-2018, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 combination classes. My first goal is for the class to feel like one class. I approach classroom management, theme days, fun activities, etc all the same. The kids need to feel like one team. It helps me not to divide up my time and energy and for the class to work together as a team. Then I look for what I can teach as a whole. For example, in arithmetic we would start with math facts together. Do drills, games, practice measurements together. Then split up for instruction. I would have have review practice/centers for one grade and then teach the other grade using whole instruction. Then you switch. Have a plan to help students who may get stuck like a revolving student as an "expert". In other areas I team up students from different grades. For example, a 2nd graders can give spelling words to a 3rd grader for practice then switch. Finally, you have to "sell" parents on the idea. I like split classes because the higher students in the lower grade can be challenged and the lower students in the upper grade get needed review. Socially it helps because not everyone is in the same place just because of their birthday. It's doable but can be busy.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsmoose

Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for all your suggestions. Approaching it as a team was what I was hoping for! Have a wonderful school year.
mrsmoose is offline   Reply With Quote