Third Grade

Chapter Books for Reading age 6-7?

>

Ideabaker

Chapter Books for Reading age 6-7?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone,

I'm a middle school teacher on sabbatical this year, but it has ended mid-year due to changes at the elementary school across the street from my home. The principal approached me about their overcrowded classrooms.

I've just taken on a newly created class (as a long-term substitute until my sabbatical ends in December... our school year starts in February and ends in December) with only 16 students. It's an emergency class that was created (in a small former storage room). It is comprised of students taken from three classes: 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.

For reading I'm grouping them by reading age level, and because many of the fifth graders are below level, they are fine reading with the 4th graders. We are currently doing a novel study in addition to mini lessons targeting specific skills and strategies to build comprehension.

Two of the 3rd grade students in the class are reading at age group 6-7. I have leveled "books" (non-authentic literature) to use with them, but creating after-reading questions that are rich is a challenge as the books have little substance.

Does anyone have recommendation for chapter books for 9 year olds reading at age level 6-7? Is that even possible?

I already have an advanced group which is doing another novel study of a higher level novel. The two students who are reading at age 6-7 feel left out because they are reading such tiny books.

Seem to remember "I Can Read" books that were chapter books but written at a lower reading level from when I was a kid; e.g. "Frog and Toad Are Friends". I have two copies for them but don't know how well they will cope. I plan to read aloud to them and have them read to me while the rest of the class is reading their novels independently, then have them answer questions and find evidence from the text to support their inferences and answers.

Any suggested chapter books that they may be able to read would be greatly appreciated, as I am at a loss at what to teach them with to build their reading skills.

Ideabaker is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 07-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might try these.
Henry & Mudge
Boxcar Children
Horrible Harry
Nate the Great
Cam Jansen
Poppleton
Mr. Putter & Tabby
All of the above are series.
Good luck!
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Ideabaker

Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you jjwires's. The Boxcar Children is one of my favourites from childhood. I have a copy on my desk, but was unsure if it would be appropriate for a reading age of 6-7.

It is comforting to hear that there ARE appropriate novels/chapter books for students reading at that level. I will definitely check out the other books as well.

Again, thank you!

kerteach2

Old 09-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The Bailey School Kids series is great - similar to the Magic Treehouse books. They also have a Bailey School Kids Jr. series that I use in 3rd with my lower readers.
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 09-01-2018, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is a young reader version of Boxcar Children entitled, Adventures of Benny and Watch.

cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

Ideabaker

Adventures of Benny and Watch
Old 09-02-2018, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Cabernet; I actually saw this title and ordered a couple of copies that just arrived yesterday (it takes weeks for things to arrive from The States to us)! I will have my struggling readers read aloud to me from them to see if they are "just right" readers for them.

Thanks for your suggestion. The original Boxcar Children series was my favourite when I was younger, and it looks like these smaller readers are trying to capture the key elements of the story from the actual chapter book!

Ideabaker

The Bailey School Kids...
Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Kerteach2, I have never heard of this series; but you can bet I'll be looking it up in the morning!

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I just feel that everyone should have the opportunity to read an extended story with the same characters in order to ready themselves for more challenging novels in the future!