Help

Third Grade

Small Group NIGHTMARE!

>

deansbaby67

Small Group NIGHTMARE!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am really struggling with organizing my students time. I was going to do stations, but honestly, I have SO many kids pulled out at various times that I can't get a schedule down. I have small groups that I will meet with and otherwise my kids have assignments (on paper and on the computer) that they have to do. I don't have computers for all my kids. I have NO CLUE how to organize my small group time. I've worked and reworked rotations, only to realize they won't work. I'm desperate here! TIA!

deansbaby67 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-22-2018, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What exactly is the problem? I have kids who miss some of my rotations due to pull outs, but I just don't worry about it. However, they aren't missing all of them. I also don't really grade the rotations and have them work in groups. I consider it practice time.

Can you make a checklist of must do's and can do's for them to check off so you know which rotations they missed?

Or make your rotations simple, like Daily 5? Work on writing, read to self, listen to reading?

My rotation time is all over my schedule because of my specials this year. I am not going to worry whether they do every rotation every week. There is no way I can manage that. So, I do what I can do, and what they miss, they miss. Of course, there are sometimes when there is a rotation I really want them to do. So I would make that a must do and either tell them to do it when they are there, or put it on them to make sure they join it.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-22-2018, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't care if kids miss small group, in fact I prefer they miss it as opposed to whole group rotations. If kids get pulled I just keep teaching. I'm with Kahula, I don't worry about it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I would do as Kahlua
Old 10-22-2018, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

suggests as well re: Daily 5--Don't do the centers or stations that require laminating, cutting, cutesy artsy stuff. Do authentic work--work on writing, word work, your small group, and computers to start. You can adjust it up or down later. (Word work can be spelling work too.)

Organize your students by those who need the most small group instruction and those who need you the least. If a student is pulled at that time, they are getting small group elsewhere, right? Don't stress about that.

If you really feel Johnny needs small group with you at least twice and gets pulled often, put him on the schedule first when you know he will be there. Those who do not get pulled can be more flexible. Also remember that you can adjust the size of the groups. If a student needs more of you, and you cannot figure out how to see him more minutes, make his group smaller so he gets more 1:1 during your small group.

Don't get caught up in thinking that all groups need to be equal--train your students to move at a bell/sound/tone rather than a timer. This way, if one small group only needs 10 minutes and the next twenty minutes, you are in control of that.

If they are doing authentic work, it won't matter what time frame you give them. To save your sanity, you could also have a set time of the last 5? 7? 10? minutes for EVERYONE to "wrap up"-- work on any unfinished tasks so you have that many minutes to make notes, document stuff, organize stuff for the next time.

It is doable but may take some training of the students.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 11-06-2018, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have students pulled also as I'm doing small groups.

I do Daily 5 - read to self, writing, word work and teacher.

I see 2 groups a day.

Those kids that are pulled do either word work or writing (they rotate what they are doing) then when done do read to self.

It's doable but honestly, I just got mine going about 2 weeks ago.

EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote