Help

First Grade

Alternatives to timed fact tests

>

vballmom

Alternatives to timed fact tests
Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for some ideas to help with addition fact fluency. We have done timed - 25 prob in 1 minute fact tests - interested to see what works for you. Thanks much for your help

vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Games
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kids love games where the practice doesn't seem like the point, it just happens.

1) Addition "War" - Students partner up, and divide a deck of cards (minus the "faces") evenly. Each player turns over 2 cards and adds them together. The one with the highest total gets all four cards. Repeat until time runs out or one student has all the cards.

2) Find Your Buddy - You choose a target total and each child draws a number slip out of a hat/bag/whatever, and then walks around around the room adding their number to other people's until they find their "buddy" - the person who give them the total you asked for. (I use this one for the "ways to make 10" lesson, but you could do it with any number.)

3) Addition Bingo - you roll two dice (or run two random number generators on the smart board). The kids add the numbers and cover the answer on their board. (You can also break them up into small groups for this one.)
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Facts
Old 04-16-2019, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Keep doing timed tests. Although itís not the most enjoyable thing for the kids, it definitely helps build automaticity. Some things just have to be memorized!

We also love addition war and ADDIT (my late addition bingo game naans ). Flash cards with a friend is always on the early finisher and free time list. Weíve done math bees, math jeopardy, math board races, etc. I think any way you can practice is going to be beneficial.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 04-16-2019, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use spinners, cards, number boards and dice. The kids play and add at the same time. I also make a circle with a hole in the middle. I put it on my whiteboard. I put numbers around the circle and put +and a number inside the hole. They work in teams to add around the circle on the whiteboard. Iíll look for a picture, they love it.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I saw a product on TPT where students practice their math facts at home. When they are ready to be assessed, their parent signs a form, and the student is then tested at school. It's called Math Fluency Assessments.

A school I taught at used Math Facts Pro. Students would use the program in the classroom or in the computer lab. I had a bulletin board where I tracked their progress.

Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Around the World
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My kiddos beg to play Around the World - Kids sit in a circle on the carpet, I stand in the center with flashcards. One student stands behind a classmate and both compete to answer the fact. Whoever guesses the answer first, is next to go around the world which is go around the circle and try to go all the way back to his/her spot.
irises is offline   Reply With Quote