Help

Second Grade

5th to 2nd

>

3boys:)

5th to 2nd
Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Thinking of making the move to 2nd grade from 5th. I have never taught 2nd. Has anyone ever moved from an upper grade to lower and liked it? What were the pros and cons?

3boys:) is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

4th ro 2nd
Old 05-09-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I made the move and never regretted it. I love second graders. They are excited about learning. They adore their teacher. They are not as clicky as older kids. They can work independently . The only con I can think of is as an upper grade teacher you may need to brush up on your teaching reading skills. When I taught 4th grade the nonreaders were mostly SPED and had pull out for actual how to read instruction. I just had to find/ create appropiate texts for other subjects. In 2nd I did have to teach kids how to read but I loved that so not a con to me.
potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

middlestsis

Second Grade Teacher
Old 05-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a second grade teacher currently! I really do love this age. They are definitely eager to please and sweet except for the very few ones with attitudes and a lot of those are reachable at this age. They can work a lot more independently than 1st graders, but they will need a lot more help than 5th graders. I have been in 2nd for 5 years and this year my kids are needy ! You will be teaching more about how to read than reading to learn and that's a big difference. I think if you go in with expectations of them acting like 5th graders it would be very difficult, but if you go in realizing it is a change and you aren't hard on yourself it will be great. If you do end up moving and need advice, don't forget about this site!
middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmom

5th to 2nd
Old 06-03-2019, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just found out that I am moving from 5th to 2nd! I taught 2nd my very first year of teaching...many moons ago! I am so excited to be leaving 5th grade hormones and attitude behind
ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You have some great advice. I moved from 4th to 2nd a few years ago. I love 2nd grade and don't ever want to go back! They do love their teachers. However, it did take a few months of adjustment. 2nd graders need a lot of direction and modeling. They have much shorter attention spans. I do my whole group minilessons and read alouds on the carpet. I start of slowly at the beginning of the year with stations/centers and model every center activity we do. I usually have a wide range of reading ability levels from beginning kinder to early 3rd grade. Definitely brush up on guided reading.

Before going on TpT for task cards, look here. Unseen made hundreds of task cards that I still use.

76lake is offline   Reply With Quote