Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

7-8 Reading Help

>

heatherk

7-8 Reading Help
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a good approach or program to use with 7th and 8th grade students to boost reading? We have a class for 15 students who are struggling readers (mostly in the 3rd-5th grade range). It meets daily all year for 50 minutes. We have been using Read 180 this year, but the teachers doesn't love it, it is expensive and all the teachers who are trained in that program are leaving so we would have to pay to train new folks. Any ideas?

heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-08-2019, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but I saw huge results in reading mastery by using the Notice and Note approach. I focused this year on just using the fiction strategies but there's nonfiction too. It's a systematic approach for things to look for within texts that will help with comprehension and higher level thinking questions. It really helped a number of kids and I saw huge growth.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

teachergirl39

Notice and Note question
Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello. How exactly does the Notice and Note approach work. I have a friend who is going to be a first time teacher this yeat and she will be teaching 7th grade ELA. We are working on gathering ideas and resources to help her get started. Thanks for any help you can provide,
teachergirl39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

LOVE Notice and Note
Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

To start, you really need the Beers and Probst book, or books if you plan on doing both fiction and nonfiction.

The general approach is that there are techniques that writers use to signal important ideas in books. If one can recognize these "signposts," one can glean a deeper understanding of the writing, as well as learn to emulate good writers.

I used this with 5th and 6th graders. I started with picture books to introduce the signposts. They were eager for each new lesson. We continued to use the signposts for analyzing books and short stories all year long.

Pernille Ripp has a series of blog posts with picture book recommendations for teaching the signposts: https://pernillesripp.com/category/notice-and-note/

This year, I'll be adding the nonfiction signposts.

There are a Facebook group and other sites dedicated to users of Notice and Note.

Last edited by Singvogel; 07-26-2019 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote