Fourth Grade

From Middle Grades to 4th - Hell!

>

New2FourthTN

New2FourthTN

From Middle Grades to 4th - Hell!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I just got the call back and have been offered a 4th grade (self-contained) position for the upcoming school year. Iím thrilled and immediately accepted! Iíve spent the first part of my career in middle school (2 years in 8th, 2 years in 7th, 1 year in 6th). Iíve only ever taught ELA (2 years) and SS (3 years).

Please hit me with ANY and EVERY tip you have about fourth grade and what I can expect moving from middle to elementary. Iím most nervous about teaching math. 😬

New2FourthTN

New2FourthTN

So embarrassed
Old 06-07-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my post and itís supposed to say ďNew To Fourth - HelpĒ 😳

Linda/OH

new to 4th
Old 06-11-2019, 02:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Love your goof! I've always wondered why we cannot edit the descriptive title. I think you have a lot going for you since you know where they need to get to.

Welcome to 4th! Scroll through the board and see if you can get the general gist of 4th grade. I'm on my last year of teaching it. We switched to the departmentalized way a few years ago. Self contained has its benefits but a lot of planning and knowing all of the standards.

I love fourth grade! The curriculum is enjoyable. Students still love you and school (for the most part).

I read aloud every day-my favorite part of the day (and students love it and benefit from it too).
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

mario2019

Ha I loved the goof in the title too...
Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As PP said utilize this website it has a myriad of information from 4th grade teachers in this section, the busyboard and the archive.

I hope once you get in the school and room you find the prev teacher might have left some things maybe they retired and left it all! I know you said you were called back so I don't know if that means it was an expected or unexpected vacancy.

As for math...I don't know what your state curriculum mandates but I find the more manipulatives the better. Especially with whole numbers, fractions and if you cover geometric shapes. That was the area as a student I was weakest and actually had a lot of trouble with math beginning in 4th grade. Again if anything was left in the classroom as far as manipulatives that will be so helpful for you getting started. Also finding out for your planning purposes when any statewide assessments are is critical too.

It is a lot of planning at first but hopefully you will find a great group of teachers on your new team to see you through. Congratulations and best of luck!
mario2019 is offline   Reply With Quote