Help

Creative Outlet

Sewing: Crossbody Purse

>

KeyKid

Sewing: Crossbody Purse
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Lazy Girl Designs has just released (June 30) the new Lexi Carryall Crossbody Bag pattern. Scroll almost halfway down the page to the heading: Lexi Carryall Crossbody Bag. I love the Lazy Girl Design patterns and was looking forward to the pattern being released. I have to admit, I gasped when I saw the price for the download was $17.95. I actually thought about it for awhile and decided I sometimes spend $20 on stupider (my word) stuff than a pattern I really want, so I went for it.

I've recently organized my fabrics (future post) so that I can shop my stash because I can see what I have. There were supposed to be 2 fabrics for the outside of the bag, 1 fabric for the strap and 1 fabric for the lining. My pieces were too small for that, so I found the teal color line had enough fabric to mix and match all the pieces.

One evening I cut and marked all the fabric, interfacing, and fleece pieces. Note: when I make this bag again, I think I'll use interfacing in place of where fusible fleece is called for and I think I'll only interface one layer of the pockets. It has quite a bit of structure and weight, and it's still empty.

The next day I did everything I could do until I had a zipper. It recommends a 30" purse zipper, which is closed on both ends and 2 zipper tabs that meet in the middle, to be measured and cut to create the front and top zippers. A purse zipper has wider tape and a larger pull tab; might even have slightly larger teeth than dress zippers. Since no stores counties around me carry purse zippers, I had to order one online. I was expecting it Saturday but it didn't show up until today.

Did you hear me scream at 2:30 when I accidentally slid the zipper pull completely off the zipper after it was joined to the purse? OH NO, OH NOO, OH NOOO!!!! I found a YouTube video on how to fix it which meant cutting off the stopped end, completely separating it, and feeding the pull back on from that direction. Luckily, there was at least 1.5" of extra zipper tape on each end of the zipper once it was stitched down. Finished it around 4:00 today.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
KeyKid is online now   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Bag
Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is the back of the bag.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

KeyKid

Bag inside
Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and the inside of the bag
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Cat woman

Old 07-08-2019, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love it! I donít think I have ever paid that much for a pattern, but now that you presented the logic of spending money on much more stupider things, I may reconsider. It is a very nice bag and I can imagine how it can take on a lot of different looks based on the fabrics you use.

Definitely want to see how you organized your fabric stash. Mine are just getting shoved in a tub and it bothers me (but not quite enough to do anything about it......yet)
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote