Help

Creative Outlet

Fabric Organization

>

KeyKid

Fabric Organization
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My fabric system wasn't working for me AT.ALL. A few months ago I pressed all of the pieces I could easily access (fat quarter sized + & -) and stacked them on a shelf. They were not in any order and because some were smaller, I was overlooking them. When I'd pull out a fabric, several others, over and under the desired piece would come as well.

Sara Lawson has a BLOG and a YouTube Channel: Sew Sweetness. She typically does a longer live video on Sunday evenings (which can be viewed now) and often a short video during the week. In June, she posted this video. I believe it was clipped out of part of the Sunday video. Video: How to Fold Your Fabric on Comic Book Boards.

This was a solution I could do! This is a link to the comic book board package from Amazon. I ordered 2 (200 boards). I wrapped all the fabrics that were in that stack and then began to unearth more and more and I ordered a 3rd package. In addition to that stack, I emptied a medium and a large laundry basket, 2 paper boxes and a kitchen garbage bag. Basically, if there are 2+ uncut yards or more, I'm not making a board. If there is enough fabric to wrap around a board the short way, I'm making a board. Um...I...uh...don't have any more boards. I think I am basically finished with the smaller pieces. The larger pieces in baskets, I'm probably not going to wrap.

Most of the wrapped board fabrics are cotton or poly/cotton. There are a few exceptions: a board of lace fabric and less than 5 with polyester knits.

If I had been really smart, I would have measured and written how much fabric was on each: 1 yd uncut; FQ; 12"x18"; 12"x18"+. I suppose I could go back and do that at some point.

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Fabric bins for the boards
Old 07-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Then I had to figure out how I was going to put these on the shelves. If I put them 2 deep, I wouldn't be able to see behind the front row.

A fat quarter piece of fabric will hang over the top and bottom of the board somewhat. I went to The Container Store and took a board with fabric hanging over the ends with me.

I found a clear acrylic sweater bin that is open on top and one short end. LINK (scroll down to Premium Stacking Sweater Bin Clear). I bought 5 initially and bought 3 more yesterday. If the fabric didn't reach the top/bottom of the board, they are not visible from the side of the bin. A filled bin is not too heavy to pick up the whole thing to look at it from the top. The bins are definitely the expensive part of this project.

What you see is STILL not all of my fabric. I have a large laundry basket overfilled with flannels. I also have way too much fleece in varying amounts not within the picture.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

ar719

Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh my gosh! What an undertaking!! Thanks for all the info! At some point I need to organize better
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the links and ideas! I have nowhere near that amount of fabric, but have been accumulating more and more. I have been trying to figure out how best to organize it. Just stuffing it in bins is not working for me. My problem is I don’t have that much room in my sewing room. I could store it in our basement, but even though we run a dehumidifier it has a “smell”. I would hate to have my fabric smell, plus it wouldn’t be convenient. ..... I will figure out something, though!
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fabric storage2 (2).jpg
Views:	0
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	83526

I did the same thing! The comic book boards are great! I didn't use the containers but they work well. Your space looks great!

md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Organized
Old 07-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yours is great, too!

I've done several little projects since then and the biggest thing is to be able to select fabrics from what I have, since I have a lot. I'm hoping that as I empty a few of my mini bolts, I'll have that board to use with another fabric. I have about 5 that aren't on boards and I really don't want to buy another package. I just need a few more projects!

Becca4

Organized
Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Y'all are so organized! Looks great!!!
Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote