Help

Third Grade

Homework folder

>

Soniatx

Homework folder
Old 07-15-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had been teaching kindergarten and was assigned to teach third grade this coming year. What do you include in their homework folder. What do teachers insert in these folders?

Soniatx is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-15-2019, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím not exactly sure what youíre asking. I just have kids put papers from their mailboxes in their take home folder.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My third grade homework was a wb page or something in their notebooks. I would give a worksheet once in a while that would go in the folder. They also would receive notices from the school to take home. You will love third grade. They are more independent and still like to please.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Homework Folder
Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are several ways you can do this.

Some teachers label the pockets with something similar to “to return” and “to keep”...

Some teachers just use it as a conduit - kids take papers from their mailbox and put it in the folder to take home.

My English classroom counterparts while I was teaching bilingual used Jessica Tobin’s method and loved it. There was an assignment page plus four pages of homework each week that would be put in the folder. Also, we did baggy books, so one pocket would hold their just right book to take home and read. The teachers added poly folder with prongs to the supply list - this way, the plastic folders last longer. The only downside is initially the teachers set them up every week. This is the link to 2nd grade version they used if you’re interested: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...uarter-1384826

But my favorite way to do this is a little bit modified from that.
I asked for the poly folders w/ prongs.

I also asked for an extra paper folder. I made a sight/spelling word folder out of the paper folder - here is the link to instructions for that: http://www.teachingwheart.com/2015/0...FBQUFBRjB0MzRz.

This mini folder always goes in the left hand pocket of the poly folder. I put a page protector in the prongs. This is where I put newsletters, notes to parents, permission slips, other important information. The right hand pocket was for the decidable book we used with the Journeys curriculum.

As we go through the year, I also add a sandwich baggy with math flash cards.

My homework is designed for kids to be able to do it alone or with somebody - my kids were often very much alone due to parents working multiple jobs, spending more time at the babysitter than at home, etc. I only asked them to read for 15 minutes (decidable book), practice sight/spelling words for 10 minutes (mini folder), and math facts for 5 minutes. Nothing written, nothing to turn in, only practice and reinforcement, and never more than half an hour.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

deansbaby67

Homework
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I stopped sending home homework last year-best thing I ever did. I ask my students to read, we do some projects (at home and school), and they do make-up work. For years I would spend an hour pulling out math/spelling/reading homework, to get back work from 3-4 students. It was a huge waste of time. I'm in an 80% F/R lunch school and often times there's not parental help. By assigning a few fun projects a year, I have found my students take a more active role in their own learning. I make sure they have supplies they need/want and I always give them class time if they can't do it at home. It's something they are proud of and not something the bus driver finds or a parent brings in 4 months later and says "was my child supposed to do this?" !

deansbaby67 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

homework folder
Old 07-25-2019, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We had ours marked "keep" and "return". The keep ones were hw that had been checked already. The return ones were the ones that needed to be done that night.

I also had a page protector in the center of it that had the newsletter for the week. It made it easy for parents to reference, plus the homework was listed at the bottom of it so the kids could glance at it to make sure they had it in their folder before packing up.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 07-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I second SusanTeach's folder - one side for things that need to come back to school (homework, permission slips, etc.) and the other for things that are meant to be emptied out and kept at home (already graded work, notices, etc.)

I've even seen some teachers label the pockets like this:

to be LEFT at home..................bring RIGHT back to school

Then a couple of page protectors in the middle. These should have a monthly calendar (note things like half-days, field trips, etc.) your preferred contact information, weekly spelling/vocab words, and any reference sheets you want the kids to have handy for homework.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote