Help

Kindergarten

This!

>

Zia

This!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every single word of this speaks my truth.

LINK

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I agree, too! I think even in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this holds true. While some kids are fine with the academic push, many are not ready and just need time. You would think in this time of "differentiated" instruction, we would be more accepting of those gaps in readiness and instead of making kids work so hard, and putting them in groups where some kids are ALWAYS in the bottom, we could find ways to give them all the time they need.

We really are burning kids out earlier and earlier. It annoys me that there are so many kinder teachers that are okay with this. I had this conversation with a k friend and she was adamant that it was what we should be doing. She had added words to the k sight word list (over 100), and because there were kids that could, she pushed that they all could if they worked at it.

It annoys me that kids on the low end have to sit at home extra with parents/siblings/tutors for math remediation, reading and sight word practice... Those poor parents. Those poor kids.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-25-2019, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes yes yes!

What also makes me sad is that so many kinder teachers do not have any early childhood training. They are trained as elementary teachers and thus don't see the problems with pushing academics down. And they don't bother to educate themselves in early childhood best practices. I feel like I keep saying over and over and over to my team and admin "just because some CAN doesn't mean all SHOULD".

Such a simple answer to so many behavior problems schools see now - make it developmentally appropriate! Kids haven't changed!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
What also makes me sad is that so many kinder teachers do not have any early childhood training. They are trained as elementary teachers and thus don't see the problems with pushing academics down. And they don't bother to educate themselves in early childhood best practices. I feel like I keep saying over and over and over to my team and admin "just because some CAN doesn't mean all SHOULD".
My degree wasn't early childhood specific, but I did get some training in it. I see teachers in my school really pushing kids sometimes. For example, a teacher "worried" about a student because he/she was writing very repetitive sentences. I wanted to tell her loudly, "it's Kindergarten! That's what they do if they're even writing sentences at all!"

I'm also disappointed in what my district requires as the "benchmarks" for end of year.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

jcm

This is my biggest concern!
Old 07-26-2019, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This has been a topic among my fellow K teachers. I get very upset about the increase in curriculum and expectations to follow prescribed units (even if they are dry and not age-appropriate). We are seeing more and more children with anxiety, dislike of school, and labels because they can't sit and attend during our countless group lessons or produce what we expect. I am really concerned. K teachers in a town nearby were trying to voice their concerns to the administration and all of what they said was so true! The biggest issue is that towns want strong "data" at the expense of kids' well being. They do not ask for the early childhood teachers' input, even though we are trained experts in the field. I have a bachelors and masters degree in early childhood education, but you aren't trusting me to decide what this age group needs?

Here is the link to the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.0cd7dd25e313

jcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Old 07-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It doesn't matter though if your evaluations are tied to end of year scores that are set at unreasonable targets. I can argue all I want about developmentally appropriate practices but in the end I'm still responsible for the district's expectations.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-30-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
It doesn't matter though if your evaluations are tied to end of year scores that are set at unreasonable targets. I can argue all I want about developmentally appropriate practices but in the end I'm still responsible for the district's expectations.
I get that, I do. But I decided my responsibility is to the students first, then to the standards, and testing/evaluations last.

Zia

Old 07-30-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This popped up on my FB Memories.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Lakeside

Amen!!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9