Help

Educational Technology

Who are you?

>

kahluablast

Who are you?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year looking closely at this board. It isn't very active and truthfully, I am getting more from some facebook sites that PT for Ed Tech. However, I love PT and it is where I prefer to visit, so let's talk!
  1. Who are you?
  2. What is your role in Ed Tech?
  3. What grade levels do you teach?
  4. What type of tech do you use?
  5. What are your biggest challenges?
  6. What are your biggest celebrations?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-03-2019, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Who are you? I am our school's Technology Teacher.

What is your role in Ed Tech? I will teach technology, whatever that means.
To most of our teachers it means keyboarding and formatting documents. I want it to be more, but I also see how much those formatting user functions are needed, too.

What grade levels do you teach?k-5, about 350 students in 1 hour blocks every week.

What type of tech do you use? We have mac desktops in the lab plus a cart of ipads that staff can check out. We have chromebooks in classrooms, and a chromebook cart for check out. We have some laptops in carts but they are getting older and somethings the distrcit does with our server can make them more difficult to use.

What are your biggest challenges?This year it will be bringing it all together.
We are a STEM school and teachers are supposed to be working toward doing integrated PBL's.
I want my activities in the lab to be integrated with what happens in the classrooms, so staying current with 18 classrooms will be a huge challenge.

What are your biggest celebrations?Getting a tech teacher was a challenge and is a great celebration. Keeping it the next few years will be huge hurdle and will be a happy thing for me in March/April when I hear it continues.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Who are you? I am a kindergarten teacher and the technology mentor for my school.

What is your role in Ed Tech? I train and support teachers in my school on different technology as required by the district. Several years ago we became a GAFE school district. We slowly phased in the Google Apps and no longer have Microsoft Word, PPT or Excel and switched to gmail. The tech mentors supported teachers in using the Google apps, migrating their e-mail to gmail, converting files to Google... Now all teachers in my district have to have a basic knowledge of Google apps. This year we are switching from our current websites to Google Sites. I help new teachers at my school with PowerSchool/Power Teacher, Oncourse and My Learning Plan as needed.

I also share different things I've tried with my students and help teachers explore ways to use technology with their students. I've led PD on Google Classroom and Google Slides (school), Google Slides (county PD), Coding (school) and Seesaw app. (school).

Two years ago, two colleagues and I started using the Seesaw app with our students. Last year I introduced the Seesaw app to our faculty and shared different ways our students used it and more teachers tried it. This year my principal is paying for the school-wide version so I will help teachers with the new features.

What grade levels do you teach? I teach kindergarten. We are a Preschool-Grade 1 school.

What type of tech do you use? Teachers have desktop computers. We have Hovercams and Smartboards. This past year, the district announced at the beginning of the school year that all teachers were getting devices, but they forgot my school. In June, they gave each teacher one of the chromebooks from our library to take home for the summer.

Our library has a class set of chromebooks that teachers can sign out.

At my school, we have 12 iPads on a cart in each K/1 classroom and special education rooms. All the other schools in the district have chromebooks. The iPads are the hand-me-downs from all the other buildings when they switched to chromebooks. They are old. Eventually the goal is for my school to get chrome tablets over the next couple of years. This year they are getting a few for our library so teachers can try out the tablets.

What are your biggest challenges? My biggest challenges are getting teachers comfortable with using the technology themselves and getting them comfortable with kindergarten and first grade students using technology in the first place. Some are very opposed to young students using technology.

What are your biggest celebrations? I have been part of my district's technology journey and my own growth as an educator who uses technology.

When I first started teaching back in 1982, my district had just started talking about computers. Many did not feel that elementary students would be able to use them. Some did not see the need even for high school students to use them. I had the opportunity to pilot a program with a group of students Grades 1-5 and present to our school board. (Not because I was gung ho on the idea or had any special knowledge or experience. I was a brand new teacher, got volunteered and didn't know any better.) Back then, it was a TRS 80 and we used it with a TV. I vaguely remember a cassette player. The students used Color Logo. I did not know what I was doing and had to figure it out as I was going along. (When I was in college, the computer was the size of a room and I had to key punch cards.)

It took a while before we had computers in the elementary schools. The focus was on the high school first, then the middle school. I eventually bought old computers for my first grade classroom when our district was getting rid of them. When computers finally reached the elementary level, we had a computer lab in our school and shared a computer teacher with two other schools. We visited the computer lab for 30 minutes a week for the last half of the year. Our last computer teacher was awesome and worked with teachers to create projects related to what we were doing in class.

About 9-10 years ago, when we switched from a K-5 school to a Preschool-Grade 1, they dismantled the computer lab and gave us two small laptops for our classrooms. Several years ago, we came back from summer break to find that they had replaced those 2 laptops with 2 iPads.

Fast forward to today, where I am in kindergarten and we have 12 iPads, Hovercam, and Smartboard, access to chromebooks and in the future, chrome tablets. I use Google Classroom and Seesaw with my K students. I use Screencastify to make videos for parents. I use my personal laptop to create materials all the time for my classroom. I can research online to help my struggling students. I can connect to educators around the world and do PD in my pjs.

I am excited that we are going to use Seesaw school-wide this year because it is user friendly for both teachers and students and a great way to communicate and give parents a peek into our classrooms.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

There is a technology board!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

OK-never noticed this board existed before today.

Who are you?
I am a third grade teacher and the Ed Tech lead for my school site

What is your role in Ed Tech?
MY official Title is Ed Tech school site liaison. My responsibilities are varied. I troubleshoot hardware and software for teachers. I create videos tutorial for how to use our student information systems. I teach technology related content based lessons to all grade levels. I present at staff meetings and district wide in service. I try to help have valid and relevant input on things like our tech skills scope and sequence. I co-plan and lead a school wide family stem night. I do after school tech boot camps for teachers (and my own class parents-but I am hoping to expand this year and do parent tech boot camps for other classes and grades).

What grade levels do you teach?
My classroom is third grade but I teach tech lessons to all grades. I get to go into classrooms and model implementing technology and embedding it into content a few times a year. But I dont force it anyone so...I mostly get 1-4th grade classes signing up for lessons with me.

What type of tech do you use?
Classrooms have a teacher desk top and...6 measly Chromebooks for 3-5. I have 12 Chromebooks thanks to donors choose. I load them up in a cart thats only 1/3 full and wheel them from room to room when I teach tech lessons in the classrooms.

We also have a computer lab with dinosaur desktops. I do teacher training and parent boot camps in the lab so I can be one to one.

k-1 has Kindles-they dont work with basically anything we do so...they are better than nothing, which brings us to second grade. They have nothing. Dont even get me started.

I also have about 8 ozobots. I teach the kids to use block based code-then we build 3 dimensional mazes from cardboard. Then we code the ozobots to go through the maze.

What are your biggest challenges?

Lack of devices. My other challenges are a trickle down from this main challenge.
With a 4/1 or in fifth grade a 6/1 ratio of students to devices its a challenge to get teachers to be willing to implement ANYTHING-and I dont really blame them.

My next big challenge is that student go from using very little to no tech in k-2 and then they struggle when they get to third (I have really work with my grade level team to embrace tech and use it to engage students, and make their own lives easier-hello self correcting assignments). They dont know how to do anything. It take 30 minutes to sign into a Chromebook at the beginning of the year. They cry. They dont know how to make the @sign to log in with their email addresses.

We also get the district throwing up roadblocks when we ask to try new online programs. They say that technology is one of our LCAP goals-then when I ask to be able to BUY A PROGRAM WITH MY OWN MONEY OR PARENT DONATIONS They say no. I want to try Go Guardian so I could better monitor and control student devices-what do I get-NO!

What are your biggest celebrations?
I am getting more and more teachers willing to at least consider doing a few tech augmented lessons a year. I am getting more and more teachers who are willing to let me come in and teach a lesson to show how it can work to do a shared devices lesson. I am getting more and more parents who are willing to come in and have me walk them through websites so they arent sending angry emails later complaining about how the stupid websites dont work.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

teacherman

Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1. I am one of our school's computer teachers.

2. Teacher, FUSE Lab coordinator.

3. 5th-8th

4. Desktop computers, digital projector. Getting 3-d printers this year, Windows suite and Google apps.

5. Lack of curriculum guidance, only seeing students once a week, wide variance in student skill level and home technology.

6. Seeing student growth in research skills and finished product creation. Bringing in new programs to expand opportunities for my students.

teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 08-24-2019, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Great idea Kahlua

Who are you? I am a teacher and leader in our school.

What is your role in Ed Tech? I am our school lead in all areas of ICT, providing PD regularly, and modelling lessons. I also train students as leads. I manage all ICT related things within our school and am leading the implementation of a new Digital technologies curriculum school wide (NZ)

What grade levels do you teach? Year 6

What type of tech do you use? We use macbooks, mac minis, and imacs for the staff and some students, chromebooks for seniors, and ipads for juniors. Most classes are at least 1:3 with devices, some 1:1. We have a small number of robots, but looking to find a budget and improve this area asap. (should I mention my ueboom? Would be lost without that for indoor and outdoor use!)

What are your biggest challenges? Time! But also access to updated devices. Oh and money - so much I want to buy but can't.

What are your biggest celebrations? Staff buy in - our staff are fully on board to implementing a schoolwide programme that is constantly evolving.

Last edited by Jenny; 08-24-2019 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: Bad formatting - still not great sorry!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote